EasyOS does not remember my display settings, external monitor ONLY on a laptop.

Moderator: BarryK

xx_T3n0ch_X

EasyOS does not remember my display settings, external monitor ONLY on a laptop.

Post by xx_T3n0ch_X »

EasyOS is in frugal mode. My setup is a laptop connected to an external monitor via an HDMI cable, using zarfy I can adjust to my preferred setting, which is to use only the external monitor, but It does not survive the reboot, yes I save the session.

Federico

Re: EasyOS does not remember my display settings, external monitor ONLY on a laptop.

Post by Federico »

I think that it isn't possible at the moment. At least through Zarfy.
Apart from the obvious considerations, I don't remember of any Linux distro capable of doing that easily.
You can try automating the execution of an xrandr script at boot. But, is it normal to do such things on a laptop??
Anyway, do this:

Code: Select all

# xrandr

the output of the command will list all the available screens. Each screen will have a name and a list of available combinations resolution / refresh rate for it.
The integrated screen of the laptop is usually called eDP-1 ; the screen connected to the HDMI port is usually called HDMI-1 (but not always: it probably depends on the video driver).
I will assume these names in my example; if they are called differently, correct accordingly.

Create a script inside any folder, for example /opt, name it as you wish and provide it with execution permissions.

Now: it is of primary importance that you know exactly your external monitor's resolution and refresh rate. I'll assume 1440x900 pixels and 60 Hz --> correct accordingly with the correct values.
Pay attention to the fact that incorrect values here may result in a black screen or even in physical damage to your monitor.
I do not take any responsability.

Type the following text inside your script:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
xrandr --output HDMI-1 --mode 1440x900 --rate 60
xrandr --output eDP1 --off

save it and that's it. Just correct eventually the names of the screens and adjust resolution and refresh rate.
If you want to automate the execution at boot, just copy it inside /root/Startup.

I don't know just what happens then if you boot the laptop with the external monitor disconnected. In case you get no image, just connect the external monitor to it, correct the settings using Zarfy (turn off the external monitor and on the integrated screen), and remove your script from /root/Startup.

Hope this helps.

Desktop PC
Case: Sharkoon S25-W MB: Asus Rog Strix B550-A PSU: XFX Pro 750W CPU: AMD Ryzen 5700X @ 4.6 GHz RAM: Corsair 32 GB DDR4 @ 3000 MHz Heatsink: Scythe Mugen 5 rev. B VGA: Asus Tuf RTX 3080 12 GB OC

Laptop PC: Asus Zenbook UX325E

Return to “EasyOS”