Litebrowser

Moderator: BarryK

jamesbond

Litebrowser

Post by jamesbond »

Barry, you may be interested in a miniature browser called litebrowser. Depends only on gtk3 and gtk3mm (since you already ship EasyOS with gparted, then you already have all the dependencies). It's only about 319K compiled.

It's network access speed is rather poor (as it uses synchronous connection) and like typical small browsers, it doesn't support Javascript; so I won't recommend it for online experience, but for filesystem access (e.g. help browser, welcome page), it is very usable. It's smaller than netsurf (1MB compiled) and even smaller than dillo (575K).

And thank you for sharing your discovery of Symphytum, it's a nice personal database :thumbup2:

pp4mnklinux

Re: Litebrowser

Post by pp4mnklinux »

Consider this only as my oppinion:

If you choose this browser, its development rest on you... there is a lack of Developer Support, litebrowser has a smaller user base compared to mainstream browsers, which result in limited developer support, this may lead to slower bug fixes, less frequent updates, and fewer available extensions or add-ons.

I don't want so much work, jaja... I want to prepare puppy for my needs, no use my time adjusting software to use with my OS, haha.

And Linux is not in LiteBrowser developers minds, so I don't want to make their job, haha.... :D

HAVE A NICE DAY U ALL.- CHEERS

---------------------- edited -----------------------
"Let them describe themselves"

Last edited by pp4mnklinux on Sun Jun 25, 2023 5:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jamesbond

Post by jamesbond »

pp4mnklinux wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 4:33 pm

And Linux is not in LiteBrowser developers minds, so I don't want to make their job, haha.... :D

Haha indeed :?
Did you even bother to read my post?
Did you even bother look at the URL I gave in my post?
Or you are just replying to your own figment of imagination?
Haha indeed :thumbdown:

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@pp4mnklinux This browser is for specific uses. Not general purpose.

Some people fly, some drive and some take a boat. Then there are those that walk or ride a bike maybe a horse.

Whatever fits I say.

I have built an OS that has doesn't have any graphical interface at all. Totally text based. Or my KLV-Spectr-beta1....tiling window manager and not even a wallpaper and I love it. It's blazing fast and I can jam so many benchmark data points at you that it will take you a week to sort it out.

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

@jamesbond
Yes, I did look at it a year or so ago.

There was a showstopper problem. Going from memory, I think that it wouldn't open local files from the commandline.

jamesbond

Post by jamesbond »

Ah okay, now that you said it, I vaguely remember it being discussed in your blog too.
I happened to look at it because I was building claws-mail and it required litehtml library which linked to the litebrowser.

Anyway, I compiled the latest version and it did load files from command line too. I'll leave the rest to you :thumbup2:

cheers!

Return to “EasyOS”