LICK installer

Moderator: BarryK

vinceGOLD

LICK installer

Post by vinceGOLD »

Hello forum,

........has anybody used a WINDOWS machine and the free "LICK" installer to install EASYOS
and thus get a dual boot computer?

does it work? ( as i know it works for all other types of Puppy)

https://github.com/noryb009/lick

...........as you can see at the bottom of that link , it shows the COMMANDS and how you put the Puppy
iso file into C drive then just tell LICK to install Puppy to the C drive.

i would need to convert EASYOS image to iso but that's easy.

.........the LICK tool must somehow RESIZE the windows partition and put PUPPY on the machine
and also gives you a new boot loader.

There are videos from 2022 showing LICK working on WIN 10 64 bit computers with any flavour of Puppy

has anybody tried the above in a VM.........and does it work?

can you let me know or post any results

thanks
Vince.

BarryK

Re: LICK installer

Post by BarryK »

I have replied to your pm. Repeating here:

EasyOS cannot be converted to an iso.

EasyOS has to install to a partition with a ext4 filesystem, not ntfs.

So LICK will not work.

You will need to go through the steps of creating a ext4 partition and probably a vfat boot partition, as explained at easyos.org

Actually, that is not entirely true. I did add the capability of EasyOS installed into a ntfs partition, with some restrictions, but it never got tested.
It uses the Puppy approach of a save-file. I implemented it in the 'init' script in the initrd, years ago, but never tested and it probably is broken.

vinceGOLD

Post by vinceGOLD »

Barry Sir,

Thanks very much for bothering to reply to me SO FAST.

You advice is appreciated and you have probably prevented me from
breaking a good win64 booting machine........
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i think i will just use the free....... LICK puppy installer ........ to install a regular
Puppy (Fossapuppy.) onto a win10 machine....... to get DUAL BOOTING.

....i really did fancy the "containers idea" of EASYOS but without a simple
gui installer i won't attempt a dual boot install of EASYOS on a good win64 machine.

Regards
Vince

bugnaw333

Post by bugnaw333 »

For me, it's much better to have a separate USB stick for EasyOS than a dual boot. :thumbup:

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

You can dual boot from an external usb stick.

Easy uses the Limine bootloader, and when you bootup the external usb stick, the Limine menu is the first that comes up.
You can add more entries to it, including the internally installed Windows.

To do this, you need to edit file 'limine.cfg' in the vfat partition in the usb stick.

Easy has "Limine Installer" in the "Setup" category of the menu. You can run this, just do the first step, which finds all the installed operating systems and will generate entries that you can put into 'limine.cfg'. Exit the installer at that point --- do not click the "INSTALL" button.

Limine Installer is a work-in-progress and won't necessarily find all installed OSs. You can read the online Limine docs to see how to manually add entries to limine.cfg:

https://github.com/limine-bootloader/li ... /CONFIG.md

You can setup the usb-stick to be the default bootup, in the UEFI Setup.
Note, the UEFI Setup on some computers is annoying, will forget the usb-stick if you boot the computer without the usb-stick plugged in -- then next time you bootup the UEFI ignores the usb-stick and you have to run the setup again.

EDIT:
I just did it on my computer, ran Limine Installer and it found all the installed OSs, including Windows, and generated an entry that I could, if I wanted, put into limine.cfg:

Code: Select all

:Windows 10
    COMMENT=Windows bootup
    PROTOCOL=chainload
    IMAGE_PATH=guid://67c45f63-8668-4fbd-9aa9-341a6dae89b4/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
vinceGOLD

Post by vinceGOLD »

Barry Sir,

there is not any 4 or 8 gig PEN here......only a 2 gig and it's tricky using that.

do you know if EASY CONTAINERS works in any other Puppy or is there any
similar system on another Puppy?

for example some DOCKER derivate PET that i can install to Puppy & effectively use
in the same way as easycontainers?

i still will probably go ahead and dual boot FOSSAPUPPY with win64 from the Laptop hard drive

thanks
Vin.

Return to “EasyOS”