Bluetooth mouse LOGI M650 not working With EasyOs 4.5.5

Moderator: BarryK

phileasfogg

Bluetooth mouse LOGI M650 not working With EasyOs 4.5.5

Post by phileasfogg »

Hi, I'm a Linux newby. I'm booting my Lenovo ThinkPad E14 from a USB stick with a fresh EasyOs 4.5.5. image
Everything went smooth and worked fine, except for my LOGI M650 bluetooth mouse...
When launching BluePop manager, it shows the messages "power on failed" and "no default controller available".
When running a Scan, no BT device is detected. Only "default" is shown in the New Devices section.
When trying to register it, Status shows in red "Command: unblock default has failed"
It is as if my notebook had no BT... Probably I'm missing something obvious...Appreciate any suggestion on how to fix this...

rockedge
Site Admin

Re: Bluetooth mouse LOGI M650 not working With EasyOs 4.5.5

Post by rockedge »

First :welcome: to the kennel

Might be way off but is the Bluetooth radio enabled on the laptop?

Hang around, some of the people more familiar with EasyOS and Bluetooth will come around

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@phileasfogg :- Hallo.....and :welcome: to the "kennels"..!

I can't speak for the M650, but I use an original MX Master myself. This has the option for either Bluetooth OR the Unifying dongle.

I tried Bluetooth, but it's a complete PITA trying to get it functional.....and, according to most folks in the know, Bluetooth is actually slower and more laggy than the dongle. Since I have around 15 USB ports available to me, I'm not in the position of having to leave them free "for other things". Doesn't take a genius to see what I prefer to use....I gave up on the BT as a waste of time, and use the Unifying dongle instead. Which works great, and also allows use of the Linux 'Solaar' app for controlling the mouse settings & giving battery life read-outs, etc.

I don't know if 'Solaar' would run under EasyOS, 'cos Barry's structured a lot of this to work in a decidedly non-standard manner. It would need experimenting with. Solaar runs great under Fossapup64.

Is the M650 one of those dozy "Bluetooth-only" mice? :roll:

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

It is possible that firmware is missing for the kernel bluetooth driver. Open a terminal and type this (not the "#"):

Code: Select all

# dmesg > dmesg.log
# geany dmesg.log

...look for any messages about bluetooth and firmware.

phileasfogg

Post by phileasfogg »

rockedge wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:26 pm

First :welcome: to the kennel

Might be way off but is the Bluetooth radio enabled on the laptop?

Hang around, some of the people more familiar with EasyOS and Bluetooth will come around

Thanks rockedge for your welcome! No key or switch in my laptop to turn on/off the Bluetooth radio. Can only be done through the OS. BluePop manager shows it as enabled...

phileasfogg

Post by phileasfogg »

mikewalsh wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 12:45 am

@phileasfogg :- Hallo.....and :welcome: to the "kennels"..!

I can't speak for the M650, but I use an original MX Master myself. This has the option for either Bluetooth OR the Unifying dongle.

I tried Bluetooth, but it's a complete PITA trying to get it functional.....and, according to most folks in the know, Bluetooth is actually slower and more laggy than the dongle. Since I have around 15 USB ports available to me, I'm not in the position of having to leave them free "for other things". Doesn't take a genius to see what I prefer to use....I gave up on the BT as a waste of time, and use the Unifying dongle instead. Which works great, and also allows use of the Linux 'Solaar' app for controlling the mouse settings & giving battery life read-outs, etc.

I don't know if 'Solaar' would run under EasyOS, 'cos Barry's structured a lot of this to work in a decidedly non-standard manner. It would need experimenting with. Solaar runs great under Fossapup64.

Is the M650 one of those dozy "Bluetooth-only" mice? :roll:

Mike. ;)

Thanks Mike for your welcome, and your insights. Fortunately the M650 has the dongle option too. I will follow your advice and sacrifice one USB port...

phileasfogg

Post by phileasfogg »

BarryK wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:16 am

It is possible that firmware is missing for the kernel bluetooth driver. Open a terminal and type this (not the "#"):

Code: Select all

# dmesg > dmesg.log
# geany dmesg.log

...look for any messages about bluetooth and firmware.

Thanks Barry for this tip. Here's what the log shows for Bluetooth. Lines 844 and 845 indicate some issue with the firmware...

dmesg log:736: [ 1.407695] usb 3-4: Product Bluetooth Radio
dmesg log:818: [ 57.734821] thinkpad_acpi: rfkill switch tpacpi_bluetooth_sw radio is unblocked
dmesg.log:824: [ 57.742831] Bluetooth: Core ver 2.22
dmesg log:825: [ 57.742932] NET: Registered PF_BLUETOOTH protocol family
dmesg log:826: [ 57.742933] Bluetooth: HCI device and connection manager initialized
dmesg log:827: [ 57.742939] Bluetooth: HCI socket layer initialized
dmesg log:828: [ 57.742941] Bluetooth: L2CAP socket layer initialized
dmesg log:829: [ 57.742945] Bluetooth: SCO socket layer initialized
dmesg log:838: [ 57.772429] Bluetooth: hci0: RTL: examining hci_ver=0a hci_rev=000c Imp_ver=0a Imp_subver-8822
dmesg log:842: [ 57.774412] Bluetooth: hci0: RTL: rom version status=0 version=3
dmesg log:843: [ 57.774414] Bluetooth: hci0: RTL: loading rtl_bt/rtl8822cu_fw.bin
dmesg log:844: [ 57.774651] bluetooth hci0: Direct firmware load for rtl_bt/rtl8822cu_fw.bin failed with error -2
dmesg.log:845: [ 57.774655] Bluetooth: hci0: RTL: firmware file rtl_bt/rtl8822cu_fw.bin not found
dmesg log:945: [ 60.865459] Bluetooth: BNEP (Ethernet Emulation) ver 1.3
dmesg.log:946: [ 60.865463] Bluetooth: BNEP filters: protocol multicast
dmesg.log:947: [ 60.865468] Bluetooth: BNEP socket layer initialized
Found 16 matches for "Bluetooth".

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@phileasfogg :-

Hah! It looks like Barry may be on the right track, after all.

It also looks like you've got a variant on the same wireless/Bluetooth 'combo' chip I've got installed in this HP Pavilion desktop. Yours uses the "CU" driver/firmware version, whereas mine uses the "BE" version of the same chip...

(I'm guessing you have a laptop, where wireless makes sense. But for the life of me, I just don't understand the point of fitting 'wireless' capability to a desktop......like, what's THAT all about? I've always been used to running a desktop via Ethernet, as I do here. Ozsouth did have to compile me a driver so's I could get an internet connection when running Bionicpup64 - that Puppy just will NOT connect via Ethernet on this machine - yet every other Pup I run connects with Ethernet without so much as a murmur....)

I strongly suspect HP used this chip in the Pavilion purely for its Bluetooth ability, probably taking the view that its included wireless capability was simply an added bonus.

-------------------------------------------

Yup; I think you're missing the firmware for that chip. The driver for it's only been included in the kernel for around the last 12 months or so from what I understand, since the late 5-series kernels. And I don't know what the state of play is regarding the firmware for said chip....

And I have NO idea if it's even possible to use both functions of that chip at the same time.

(*shrug*)

Mike. ;)

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

Right, so you will have to google for that file and install to

/lib/firmware/rtl_bt/rtl8822cu_fw.bin

phileasfogg

Post by phileasfogg »

Thanks ! Got the file ! Now my Logi M650 shows up in the New Devices window. But pairing command fails: Device not available

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

phileasfogg wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 6:48 pm

Thanks ! Got the file ! Now my Logi M650 shows up in the New Devices window. But pairing command fails: Device not available

It might be a good idea to see if some other Linux distro is happy with that mouse.

Many of the puppy derivatives do not work well with bluetooth; perhaps try Vanilla Dpup

https://vanilla-dpup.github.io/

viewtopic.php?t=7683

If it does work in Vanilla Dpup, then I will have to look at what is wrong in EasyOS.

scsijon

Post by scsijon »

Seems that there are quite a few problems relating to this left-handed mouse.
Fixes all lead you to either
this ( from manjaro) > Using Logitech M650 bluetooth mouse breaks WiFi connectivity https://forum.manjaro.org/t/using-logit ... ity/130997
or
to install and use solaar (Linux Device Manager for Logitech Unifying Receivers and Devices.), found now at > https://pwr-solaar.github.io/Solaar/

However, most seem to have given up and are using it's usb with fixes.

I think barryk will need to sort this out though.
-

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

scsijon wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 6:45 am

Seems that there are quite a few problems relating to this left-handed mouse.
Fixes all lead you to either
this ( from manjaro) > Using Logitech M650 bluetooth mouse breaks WiFi connectivity https://forum.manjaro.org/t/using-logit ... ity/130997
or
to install and use solaar (Linux Device Manager for Logitech Unifying Receivers and Devices.), found now at > https://pwr-solaar.github.io/Solaar/

However, most seem to have given up and are using it's usb with fixes.

I think barryk will need to sort this out though.
-

.....except that the quoted link has no bearing on this problem at all, since that's about an Intel Centrino chip. THIS is all about a Realtek 'combo chip', so it's not really relevant.....although it may give some suggestions as to what needs looking at.

As near as I can figure it, this Realtek chip works somewhat like an Intel CPU with HyperThreading.....the same die is, apparently, capable of simultaneously carrying out two completely unrelated tasks....?? (*cough...*)

It's the old problem again, isn't it? Peripheral & component manufacturers work closely with M$, to ensure that everything works perfectly.....spec/data sheets are freely shared in both directions. I just wish these manufacturers world work as freely with the Linux kernel team..! :o:

Mike. :roll:

Return to “EasyOS”