Why no warning before stop supporting old version of EasyOS?

Moderator: BarryK

snow_ball

Why no warning before stop supporting old version of EasyOS?

Post by snow_ball »

when change series and no longer supporting the old series . Most distro would set a time maybe 6 month and announce the end of a series well before hand .

Why not easyos ?

instead of getting up one morning and deciding to stop supporting a series and no more security up dates .

WTF

Chelsea80

Re: NEW SERIES

Post by Chelsea80 »

@ snow_ball

EasyOS is an evolving project and as such is subject to change as and when the developer sees fit.

If you visit the developers News Page here:

https://bkhome.org/news/

Then you will be 'kept in the loop'.

By the way, does WTF mean Welcome To Fat'uous?

Best regards

Chelsea80

Chelsea80

BionicPup32+28 19.03 - Linux 4.9.163 - lxpup - 32-pae [i686] - (UPup Bionic Beaver)
Frugal Install - Internal HDD - Gateway MX8716b - HDD 120GB - RAM 2GB

Friendly-Bionic32 v1.1
USB Stick 2GB

nevarmaor

Post by nevarmaor »

Unlike most of the more popular (and much larger) distros EasyOS is a one-man project. It is also a fast-moving evolving project, and that would not happen if Barry had to support older versions as well. I think of the different versions as the next rolling release. Certainly Arch doesn't support "older versions" (or didn't when I used to use it).

Plus, as the name implies, it is easy to upgrade. Just copy three files. Or just keep using the older version. No one says you HAVE to upgrade.

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

I announced the intention of moving from the Dunfell-series to the Kirkstone-series in December 2022:

https://bkhome.org/news/202212/easyos-a ... eries.html

Since then, there have been many blog posts on the progress of the Kirkstone-series.

So, although there was no specific deadline set for retiring the Dunfell-series, it was quite clear it was coming soon.

I do not maintain a table of release dates and EOL dates. EasyOS does not work like that, it is an experimental distro, subject to change at any time.

snow_ball, I recommend that you move onto another distro.

bugnaw333

Re: Why no warning before stop supporting old version of EasyOS?

Post by bugnaw333 »

snow_ball could not move on to other distro... maybe he likes EasyOS? ;) :roll: :lol:

For me, I have 2 USB sticks--one for Dunfell and the other for Kirkstone. :thumbup2: and I love EasyOS!

BarryK

Re: Why no warning before stop supporting old version of EasyOS?

Post by BarryK »

Anyway, as I posted before, if you have a Dunfell 4.5.5 installation, you can update to the Kirkstone-series, it requires some manual fixing:

viewtopic.php?t=8132

Return to “EasyOS”