Possible to download & install the delta file separately?

Moderator: BarryK

Berto

Possible to download & install the delta file separately?

Post by Berto »

Hi to all,

I've never tried, but is it possible to download the delta file without clicking "update", and then install the update manually?

The background of this question is, that I have 3 different laptops, so I would need to update all of them separately.
Yes, okay, it's the same work in the end, but my network connection isn't very stable, so the update sometimes failes, then it's a waste of data volume - I am only on 4G data connection anyway using WiFi or USB tethering.

Aside from that, until now I've always downloaded the whole image file to cellphone, then transferred to laptops. Just for a "small" update, that's much data so this time it doesn't make sense .

Thanks a lot for your reply

Last edited by Berto on Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Regards,

Berto

ASUS Netbook, Intel Atom N450, Nvidia / ASUS Notebook Pro 78S, Core i7, Nvidia

BarryK

Re: Updates

Post by BarryK »

Possible, but I don't see why you would want to do it.
The update file from 5.1 to 5.1.1 is only 5.5MB, so no problem with just clicking "update" in each installation.

Berto

Post by Berto »

@BarryK

yes, you're right, but long ago I tried to update, and it didn't accept my .img file. It downloaded it again.

Since then I downloaded the new version completely.

But this was long ago, after many structural changes now, maybe it works better....

Anyway, if there would be bugs in the new version (what is almost impossible if you program it :-) ) I must rollback to a former version. That's additional work to always save the current session.

It's faster to just install a new EasyOS on a separate partition. It doesn't take much space anyway. Just now things have changed.... I got many appimages and wine too, so updates are more reasonable now than always copying from one system to the other.

Last edited by Berto on Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Regards,

Berto

Keef

Post by Keef »

If you mean that you want to just copy the delta file to other installations (to avoid re-downloading), then yes, that will work. Some time ago, the 'update' didn't work, but I was able to download the delta directly, and take it from there.

Berto

Post by Berto »

@Keef

Thanks for your reply. Yes, maybe that was the reason.

I just got limited data allowance now, as my very good Chinese internet provider doesn't operate in Philippines anymore.

Now I must pay the same for 3 days what I got for 14 days before :-(

-------------------------------
That's off-topic now, sorry to the moderators, but I think it maybe it's interesting for someone....

My internet provider was Cherry mobile. It was a co-operation of Chinese Cherry and Philippines Globe.

Very suddenly they stopped operations, only sent an SMS, that you can keep your number and get a free Globe SIM.

I didn't research yet, I can just guess why:

+Maybe political reasons,
+Globe just bought the shares of Cherry
+ (most likely) Cherry wasn't able yet to do the transition to 5G.

They are still not selling 5G cellphones, but here the change to 5G is on full speed.Everyone wants and Government supports it

Regards,

Berto

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

BarryK wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:43 pm

Possible, but I don't see why you would want to do it.
The update file from 5.1 to 5.1.1 is only 5.5MB, so no problem with just clicking "update" in each installation.

I have a celluar wireless internet connection that drops downloads frequently. A five mb delta would work, a forty mb would not. the problem is exaberated by the slow speed of ibiblio. If I can download something in a few seconds, alls well, a few minutes, not likely.

Uget lets me set the retries to a ridiculous number and is my tool of choice. Maybe wget or curl is used in the update script and could be configured to 100 retries?

Berto

Re: Possible to download & install the delta file separately?

Post by Berto »

Yes, @williwaw ,

That's true, sometimes iboblio is very slow, but we must keep in mind that we are in different timezones. If we are downloading when half of the USA is awake, sure the speed will be slow.

For me in general it is best to download early morning from European servers. That's the time they are going to bed, and Filipinos going to work - so few network traffic.

But thank you much for your reply, I'll try to do the update then, just today I was very busy, just came home and must go out again ... I hope tomorrow I will find some time to test the update button 🙂

And yes, Uget could be a solution too - I must try

Regards,

Berto

Return to “EasyOS”