How to set up a SAMBA share, EasyOS to Android LG phone? (Solved, used Bluetooth to iMac)

Moderator: BarryK

Les Kerf

How to set up a SAMBA share, EasyOS to Android LG phone? (Solved, used Bluetooth to iMac)

Post by Les Kerf »

Am trying to set up Samba share with an Android LG phone Model VS501, the phone is about five years old; I used to be able to connect it to my laptop running Slacko 5.7 via USB cable to download pictures using CamPhoneTab but I am thinking there is a hardware issue since this no longer works. I have tried several different cables. I just now got EasyOs running, it will not connect via USB either, and I did change the settings to Developer mode as per the EasyOS instructions. We are intending to buy a new phone soon, hence the desire to salvage the photos.

Trouble is, I am basically a noob and have never used Samba on anything before.

I have clicked up the Samba setup GUI which looks very nice, but I am such a dummy I have no clue what to do next; It would seem as though I should do something on the phone to initiate the connection, but I don't know enough to even know where to look.

Any help will be greatly appreciated :thumbup:

Last edited by Les Kerf on Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Les Kerf

Re: SAMBA share to Android

Post by Les Kerf »

I forgot to add that the android phone is also used as a hotspot and is our only internet connection so the phone and the laptop are on the same LAN if that is the correct term.

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Have you seen this?

Post any issue there, if you have any in attempting to follow those instructions.

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

P,S, Since you are using your phone simultaneously as a both a cell device and a wireless LAN device there may be an issue when the HOTSPOT is active.

...not sure. Test those instructions, first with HOTSPOT off, then with HOTSPOT on to insure you know how your network works.

Those instructions do work and have decades of use.

spiritwild

Post by spiritwild »

I've always used FTP.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... .ftpserver

There are newer or better apps but I've used this one with filezilla for years.

I take a lot of pics in high resolution and every so often I'll transfer them to my storage server
i dont need a lot of frills so this app seems to work fine for my uses. Mostly because I can do everything from the pc.
I hate staring at that tiny phone screen. :ugeek:

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Just a note to say that if when you got your Android phone you registered it with your Google ID, then EVERYTHING on your phone is saved in your ID. When you get a new phone, all that is needed is to open it and register it with your Google ID and EVERYTHING in your ID is loaded to your new phone.

I have used this ability for dozen years or more thru broken screens, broken phones, upgraded phones, lost phones, etc. And I can use my browser for my data.

Caution, though, DONT throw your old phone away. If there are some "out-of-band" data did not make the transfer, you can retrieve it from your old phone and transfer it to your new phone. There are various ways to recover data from your old phone.

Did you ever get SAMBA setup working? Are you still having problems? Can you describe your status?

Les Kerf

Re: How to set up a SAMBA share, EasyOS to Android LG phone?

Post by Les Kerf »

Howdy and thanks all for the help.
This phone was malfunctioning in several areas so we purchased a new phone. I did manage to take the old phone to an iMac which had the ability to transfer the photos successfully via Buetooth.

I was unable to make any connection with Samba using EasyOs, Slacko, or Lucid Puppy. I do not know why.

The phone refuses to be recognized when plugged in via USB cable.

I am reluctant to use anything Google and avoid Microsoft like the plague, which is why I like Linux.

Again, thanks for the help :thumbup:
Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Les Kerf wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:18 pm...I was unable to make any connection with Samba using EasyOs, Slacko, or Lucid Puppy. I do not know why.

I am reluctant to use anything Google and avoid Microsoft like the plague, which is why I like Linux. ...
First SAMBA has NOTHING to do with Google or MS. It is a Linux subsystem that KNOWS how to speak the same LAN language as Apple, MS, etc. since 1992, 30 years in secure updates and worldwide support...same as Linux.

Problems and new phone problems seem odd :o

Questions
  • Is your new phone an Apple or an Android?
  • Do you need to connect your phone via a USB wire for some special need?
  • For Wifi, do you know how to have your phone show you its IP address?
  • You mentioned MS, do you also have a Windows computer in addition to a forum computer, as well?
  • Do you know how to get your PC that is running a forum distro to show you its IP address?
Les Kerf

Post by Les Kerf »

Clarity wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:07 am
Les Kerf wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:18 pm

...I was unable to make any connection with Samba using EasyOs, Slacko, or Lucid Puppy. I do not know why.

I am reluctant to use anything Google and avoid Microsoft like the plague, which is why I like Linux. ...

First SAMBA has NOTHING to do with Google or MS. It is a Linux subsystem that KNOWS how to speak the same LAN language as Apple, MS, etc. since 1992, 30 years in secure updates and worldwide support...same as Linux.

Problems and new phone problems seem odd :o

Questions

• Is your new phone an Apple or an Android?

• Do you need to connect your phone via a USB wire for some special need?

• For Wifi, do you know how to have your phone show you its IP address?

• You mentioned MS, do you also have a Windows computer in addition to a forum computer, as well?

• Do you know how to get your PC that is running a forum distro to show you its IP address?

Howdy and thank you for replying.
Firstly, I do not have reliable internet service, and what we do have is quite slow (when it works at all), hence the slow replies.

All of the aforementioned difficulties were with the OLD phone, not the new Android (which has a removable SD card, the old phone does not have a removable card).

I will try to answer each question:
1) The new phone is Android
2) The only reason I ever connected the old phone via USB was to download photos. I shouldn't need to do this with the new phone since it has a removable SD card.
3) Yes I can find the IP address of the Android phone
4) The laptop which I am running Puppy Linux on has Windows 7, but when I last tried to boot to Windows it said there was a problem and I never pursued it; this was about six or seven years ago. I use Puppy Linux for all of my meager needs.
5) I do know how to find the IP address on my Puppy Linux.

Yes, I am aware that SAMBA has nothing to do with Google or MS; suggestions were made above to purchase something from the Google store or somesuch, this will not happen for several reasons. 'Nuff said about that.

I have not yet tried connecting the new phone with SAMBA. This phone is the only means I have with which to create a LAN, so its hotspot must be operating to connect with my laptop.

Thank you for the help :-)

Berto

Post by Berto »

@Les Kerf

hm, I don't understand why you need samba for one-time copying photos? Well if you got a new phone, and the old is containing your pics, why you don't transfer the pics from old to new CP (and maybe then to your laptop)?

With Shareit for example that's done very fast.

But if you got probs with samba, you could just plug your CP with USB, you don't need tethering at the same time. With developer options and usb debugging turned on it should be easy to transfer directly also.

Ah, btw ... @BarryK , many times I get an error message when copying files from CP to Laptop.Why that? It works anyway.... The files get copied.

Yestes, more info ... I'm usually copying (not moving!) from CP "Download" folder to /files/shared, to make sure all user permissions are fulfilled and I can access from everywhere. This is the same with ALL devices I've tried, different laptops and different cellphones. It is no problem at all, copying the files is working, just for new users the error message possibly is confusing.

@Les Kerf again,

I forgot, if you still have Microsoft, you can use Shareit from cellphone too, for sending directly to PC (as far as I know - since 2011 I only had MS in a virtual machine, since 2015 I don't have Microsoft at all anymore at home)

Last edited by Berto on Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Regards,

Berto

ASUS Netbook, Intel Atom N450, Nvidia / ASUS Notebook Pro 78S, Core i7, Nvidia

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Les Kerf wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:31 pm

Howdy and thank you for replying.
Firstly, I do not have reliable internet service, and what we do have is quite slow (when it works at all), hence the slow replies.

Just a reminder. SAMBA is not an internet product. It is feature of your PC's OS to allow you 'secure file reference services' from your PUP in your home...not outside of your home's local area network (LAN)

I will try to answer each question:
1) The new phone is Android
2) The only reason I ever connected the old phone via USB was to download photos. I shouldn't need to do this with the new phone since it has a removable SD card.
3) Yes I can find the IP address of the Android phone
4) The laptop which I am running Puppy Linux on has Windows 7, but when I last tried to boot to Windows it said there was a problem and I never pursued it; this was about six or seven years ago. I use Puppy Linux for all of my meager needs.
5) I do know how to find the IP address on my Puppy Linux.

I understand.

This phone is the only means I have with which to create a LAN, so its hotspot must be operating to connect with my laptop.

I believe I understand: "You do not have a Wifi network EXCEPT when you run a hotspot which becomes your Wifi Network in your home."

The references I made was under a different environment than yours. It was assuming you had a Wifi, router/PC, in your home that connects to your ISP.

Berto

Post by Berto »

Me again....

Well, I was thinking (sometimes this happens too - hahaha)..... If you really want samba, you don't need internet connection at the same time.You can just turn off your hotspot and continue....

Don't get me wrong, samba is a real good program, I just don't see the usage for home network.

Well, I've set up a company intranet a while ago, I've set up samba at home too, but what for? My applications and files my wife and my daughter don't need, they are using different things.... I don't need many redundant files on different laptops too.... So what for?

I still keep my opinion that it's a waste of time to setup samba shares at home.

Regards,

Berto

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

All depends what one does with that "home" network

I prefer FTP to move data across machines on the LAN.

Berto

Post by Berto »

@rockedge Sir,

Haha, yes that's true, I just think it's nth more than a hype... If we got samba, everyone wants to use it.

Hmm, but if I think realistically... I don't need it at home. Yes FTP would do also, but at home I don't have soooo important data to backup or spread over LAN..... Well nowadays you can cast and screerecord anyway, so if really nessecary, you can use that.

I am not against samba, they have done a very good work over years, I appreciate it.....

Off topic:

Du bist Deutscher? Von Hamburg? Meine "Kinder" leben dort, naja, keine Kinder mehr, alle 3 lange erwachsen und ich bin Großvater ....

Regards,

Berto

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Are we missing something?

The Opening Post! :!:
"I want to move information from my phone to my EASY that comes with SAMBA buitl-in merely activated by EasyOS/PUP's SSM" (one summary interpretation)

I am personally NOT trying to move the world members to use something they dont personally want. And, I try to point out any erroneous information that is posted such that members have accurate facts.

I am just trying to help with info that I have found simple and have used/tested over the past decade with my phone and my PUPs/DOGs/EASY.

Hope this info is helpful

Les Kerf

Post by Les Kerf »

Berto wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:40 pm

@Les Kerf

hm, I don't understand why you need samba for one-time copying photos? ...

But if you got probs with samba, you could just plug your CP with USB...

As I mentioned above, the old phone used to work via USB but no longer does; I suspect a hardware malfunction. I was seeking a non-usb solution and thought that perhaps SAMBA would work.

Berto wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:40 pm

@Les Kerf again,

I forgot, if you still have Microsoft, you can use Shareit from cellphone too, for sending directly to PC (as far as I know - since 2011 I only had MS in a virtual machine, since 2015 I don't have Microsoft at all anymore at home)

As I mentioned above, Microsoft is not an option at this time.

Thank you for the suggestions :thumbup:

Les Kerf

Post by Les Kerf »

Clarity wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:40 pm

I believe I understand: "You do not have a Wifi network EXCEPT when you run a hotspot which becomes your Wifi Network in your home."

The references I made was under a different environment than yours. It was assuming you had a Wifi, router/PC, in your home that connects to your ISP.

Correct.
We are simple folks; my Wife's cell phone is our only connection with the outside world since we have no landline phone, no television, and radio reception isn't worth bothering with.

The sole purpose of my original request was an attempt to recover photos from an old Android phone which formerly functioned via USB connection but apparently has a hardware malfunction.

This was solved by carrying the phone to an iMac and using Bluetooth to transfer the photos.

Thanks to all who have responded with suggestions :thumbup:

Return to “EasyOS”