chtmax98090 sound

Moderator: BarryK

mouldy

chtmax98090 sound

Post by mouldy »

This is on ex-chromebook. Tried both Easy Bookworm 0.3 and Dunfell 4.3.4 Both show conflict between internal speaker and headphone for this soundchip. Alsamixer shows only headphone output available. The headphone jack doesnt work anyways. Oh and pavucontrol gives only dummy output, so guessing even if headphone jack worked, still no sound to headphone. Since Easy has codecs for chtmax98090 assume the kernel supports it? If so how do I blacklist the headphone and make it use internal speakers? The internal speakers work in MINT-21 and MX-21 and Fedora-35. I havent tried it but there is a special kernel for Fossapup that also supports it.

mouldy

Re: chtmax98090 sound

Post by mouldy »

MINT fubar'd, had it installed to the internal drive cause it did sound.. Not sure if its MINT or failing eMMC. It was pleasant enough but took half the small 15GB eMMC drive. But now have minimalist LXDE spin of Fedora35. Oh if it holds, it maybe the one to beat. Full install with copy current Firefox added is just bit over 2GB according to Gparted. Thats impressive for a full install and I have always liked LXDE. Sound works. Took couple reboots before it started working. I think this LXDE spin is unofficial afterthought. Gnome is their standard and I avoid anything with Gnome. And Network Manager in Fedora actually can automatically deal with TUN/TAP interfaces with no hassles/crutches. Something Debian based Network Manager cant do for some unknown reason. Sure its some setting somewhere, but I never found it.

I still rather have EasyOS, least on thumbdrive as option, but Easy aint so easy on this laptop least far as sound. See if I can figure out how Fedora did it. Cause they made it work without conflict between internal speaker and headphone jack. Sound is unnecessarily complicated in linux apparently.

mouldy

Re: chtmax98090 sound

Post by mouldy »

Slowly progressing, least I guess. No sound in Easy yet but after switching to Easy Bookworm, it is loading the kernel for the sound. I added the firmware. But still no sound. Just DUMMY output in pavucontrol. Oh and lsmod is command to see what kernel modules are loaded. Or at least thats what I read.

I am getting "snd_soc_sst_cjt_bsw_max98090" and "snd_soc_ts3a227e" used by snd_soc_sst_cht_bsw_max98090_ti in both Easy Bookworm and in LXDE Fedora35. Just that sound works in LXDE Fedora35. And yea I am happy enough with Fedora, its small and works well on this chromebook, but trying to learn something. As say MX-21, Mint-21, and Debian 11.2 all have sound.

Return to “EasyOS”