EasyOS Dunfell-series version 4.3.3

Moderator: BarryK

BarryK

EasyOS Dunfell-series version 4.3.3

Post by BarryK »

This is a 64-bit release!

Blog announcement and links:

https://bkhome.org/news/202208/easyos-d ... n-433.html

Yes, back onto the usual 64-bit development.

measter

Re: EasyOS Dunfell-series version 4.3.3

Post by measter »

Ventoy problem
Current Ventoy 1.0.79 (Jul 28) + either EasyOS 4.3 or 4.3.3 boot fails after kb layout option then creating a snapshot results in error: Cannot find easy.sfs

Previous problem w/ 4.0 was related to 'size' and resolved w/ a truncate command expansion. The error report was different, but I tried expanding the 4.3 anyway, but it didn't help, same error.

The Ventoy site also has a report on various linux distro/s which it tries w/ a VM using both legacy bios & uefi. That report is positive for the Easy OS 2.3.2 & 3.4.3, .4, .5, .7 and 4.0. I haven't yet reported my problem in the Ventoy forum.

Mike Easter
halpad

Post by halpad »

Hi, I'm somewhat of a novice. I dabbled with Linux many years ago, MNT, Quirky, PUPPY, and eventually settled on EASY. I set up my computer with dual boot, Easyos & Windows. I have only used Easy occasionally and have not kept up with upgrades. My last upgrade was to 2.2.10, which does not have the "new" update icon. I would now like to upgrade to the latest version. Do I(can I) skip many versions to the latest, or should I do other versions first(pain)? I have searched, found a lot of "404s" but can't seem to find any good instructions for a manual upgrade(I've forgotten how). I may need some "lay" instruction. :roll:

measter

Post by measter »

halpad wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:56 pm

Do I(can I) skip many versions to the latest, or should I do other versions first(pain)?

I'm not particularly experienced w/ Easy OS either, but based on what experience I have, I would start from scratch; brand new install.

There's too much difference from the past.

Mike Easter
BologneChe

Post by BologneChe »

Hi, I'm somewhat of a novice. I dabbled with Linux many years ago, MNT, Quirky, PUPPY, and eventually settled on EASY. I set up my computer with dual boot, Easyos & Windows. I have only used Easy occasionally and have not kept up with upgrades. My last upgrade was to 2.2.10, which does not have the "new" update icon. I would now like to upgrade to the latest version. Do I(can I) skip many versions to the latest, or should I do other versions first(pain)? I have searched, found a lot of "404s" but can't seem to find any good instructions for a manual upgrade(I've forgotten how). I may need some "lay" instruction. :roll:

Personally, my installation of EasyOS is on a good quality USB 3 key. It works wonderfully!

Born to lose; live to win

rudyt

Post by rudyt »

I just updated from 4.3 to 4.3.3 using the Easy Update icon. Everything went smoothly; it detected the 4.3 image, passed the checksum (which failed last time), and proceeded to download just the delta file and not the full ISO like last time.

There is one minor cosmetic issue that could be confusing to people who actually read screen output when updating (like me). The word "Terminated" appears twice in the output with no context. I don't even consider this a bug. See red box in screen shot below.

EasyUpdate_terminated.jpg
EasyUpdate_terminated.jpg (92.82 KiB) Viewed 1666 times

EasyOS - Frugal install on Dell laptop in shared partition

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

You will probably find it too painful to update, due to fundamental structural changes, so recommend start from scratch, download the full image and write it to a usb-stick.

I have thought about some kind of way to preserve some information, like browser bookmarks, for easy transfer to a new install, but that hasn't progressed beyond thinking about it.

EDIT:
@halpad
Thinking about it some more, maybe you could try a manual update. I presume that there is a vfat esp partition with rEFInd, and a ext4 partition with EasyOS?

Manual update is doable. The old way was to have vmlinuz, initrd and easy.sfs in the vfat partition. Now, all three files, vmlinuz, initrd and easy.sfs are in the ext4 partition, in whatever folder you find the Easy folders (releases, containers, sfs, etc).

So if you download the latest EasyOS image file, and use the 'mount-img' utility to open it up, then copy-out the three files, into where Easy is installed (those releases, etc folders).
You can get 'mount-img' from here:

viewtopic.php?t=6240

Then, you are almost there. The next thing is to change the boot entry in refind.conf. See here:

https://easyos.org/install/install-to-p ... nager.html

...see the example entry for EasyOS. The kernel now needs the "wkg_uuid" and "wkg_dir" parameters,
and the vmlinuz and initrd parameters point to the new location in the ext4 partition.

You no longer need sub-menu entries in refind.conf

It isn't really all that painful to do!

After booting, you might find it good to do a "pristine bootup", as there have been changes to desktop icons etc, that will not have been updated properly. In Shutdown menu, there is "Rectify -> Reboot with rollback" and choose "Rollback to pristine first-boot" -- then there will be checkboxes to enable many personal settings to be preserved.

One more useful tip: that easy-4.3.3-amd64.img file that you have downloaded, put that in the same place as the other three files, assuming there is enough free space in the ext4 partition.
Reason for doing that, is it comes in handy when you click on "update" on the desktop. Easy will then be able to download a small "difference file" to update.
An example of how small, the difference-file updating from 4.3 to 4.3.3 is only 1.9MB.

Ramachandra Iyer

Post by Ramachandra Iyer »

Upon booting from old Compaq laptop, kernel reports that b43 wifi driver having problem. Consequently, no wifi internet connection possible.

Ramachandra Iyer

Post by Ramachandra Iyer »

How to access my local server from easyos through local network. Is it possible to map or any other kind method?

FeodorF

Post by FeodorF »

My Samsung SCX-3405 (printer/scanner) works fine after adding:

had-to-add.png
had-to-add.png (6.84 KiB) Viewed 1477 times
Last edited by FeodorF on Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
FeodorF

Post by FeodorF »

Works very well with this old box.

Computer
Prozessor 4x Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83GHz
Memory 4035MB (227MB used)
Maschinentyp Physische Maschine
BetriebssystemEasy Dunfell64
Benutzerroot (root)
Date/Time Thu Aug 11 18:25:01 2022
Display Auflösung1680x1050 pixels OpenGL RendererNV106 X11 Vendor(null)
Audio-Geräte Audio-AdapterHDA-Intel - HDA Intel Audio-AdapterHDA-Intel - HDA NVidia

Processors
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83GHz2003,00MHz
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83GHz2065,00MHz
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83GHz2336,00MHz
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83GHz2003,00MHz

Drucker (CUPS)
CUPS-PDFDefault
Samsung_SCX-3400_Series

Sensoren
Temperature temp1 (nouveau) 52,00°C
Voltage Values in0 (nouveau) 0,912V

Speicher SCSI
Disks ATA SAMSUNG SSD 830
HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GH22NP20
WD Elements 25A3
USB SanDisk 3.2Gen1

BIOS
Date 09/04/2009 Vendor American Megatrends Inc. Version V1.10
Board Name P45 Neo3 (MS-7514) Vendor MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO.,LTD (ATI Technologies)

measter

Post by measter »

measter wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:14 pm

Ventoy problem
Current Ventoy 1.0.79 (Jul 28) + either EasyOS 4.3 or 4.3.3 boot fails after kb layout option then creating a snapshot results in error: Cannot find easy.sfs

Any advice on how to get Easy to work w/ Ventoy? No help so far from the Ventoy forum.

Mike Easter
mouldy

Post by mouldy »

BarryK wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:21 am

I have thought about some kind of way to preserve some information, like browser bookmarks, for easy transfer to a new install, but that hasn't progressed beyond thinking about it.

I dont know about the small offbrand browsers, but Firefox and Chromium give option to export bookmarks as a html file. Assume most of their clones do also. This then can work with any browser on any system, believe they also offer ability to import bookmarks from html file.

debianfan

Post by debianfan »

BarryK wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:58 pm

This is a 64-bit release!

Blog announcement and links:

https://bkhome.org/news/202208/easyos-d ... n-433.html

Yes, back onto the usual 64-bit development.

AMD RADEON RX 6500XT
The graphics card can't be driven, can't enter x, only enter the command line

halpad

Post by halpad »

BarryK wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:21 am

You will probably find it too painful to update, due to fundamental structural changes, so recommend start from scratch, download the full image and write it to a usb-stick.

EDIT:
@halpad
Thinking about it some more, maybe you could try a manual update. I presume that there is a vfat esp partition with rEFInd, and a ext4 partition with EasyOS?

Manual update is doable. The old way was to have vmlinuz, initrd and easy.sfs in the vfat partition. Now, all three files, vmlinuz, initrd and easy.sfs are in the ext4 partition, in whatever folder you find the Easy folders (releases, containers, sfs, etc).

So if you download the latest EasyOS image file, and use the 'mount-img' utility to open it up, then copy-out the three files, into where Easy is installed (those releases, etc folders).
You can get 'mount-img' from here:

viewtopic.php?t=6240

Then, you are almost there. The next thing is to change the boot entry in refind.conf. See here:

https://easyos.org/install/install-to-p ... nager.html

...see the example entry for EasyOS. The kernel now needs the "wkg_uuid" and "wkg_dir" parameters,
and the vmlinuz and initrd parameters point to the new location in the ext4 partition.

You no longer need sub-menu entries in refind.conf

It isn't really all that painful to do!

After booting, you might find it good to do a "pristine bootup", as there have been changes to desktop icons etc, that will not have been updated properly. In Shutdown menu, there is "Rectify -> Reboot with rollback" and choose "Rollback to pristine first-boot" -- then there will be checkboxes to enable many personal settings to be preserved.

One more useful tip: that easy-4.3.3-amd64.img file that you have downloaded, put that in the same place as the other three files, assuming there is enough free space in the ext4 partition.
Reason for doing that, is it comes in handy when you click on "update" on the desktop. Easy will then be able to download a small "difference file" to update.
An example of how small, the difference-file updating from 4.3 to 4.3.3 is only 1.9MB.

Thanks, BarryK. I tried several times to use EasyOS (2.1.10) for update to no avail.

Next step; I used Windows to write 4.3.4 to a usb stick. That worked great. Quick boot up and seems to work fine.

I then copied easy.sfs, initrd, vmlinuz to sda4/easy/dunfell

I booted without the stick and it booted straight to EasyOS 4.3.4 Dunfell, and seemed to work ok.

Lesson #1....don't try to fix what aint broke.

I then tried to install Limine, using the installer.
Limine only found the old EasyOS 2.1.10.
I thought, no prob, I can add the others later. Big mistake, Reboot produced PANIC page and wont proceed. Tried the ctrl, alt, del for reboot several times getting the same results. I had to reboot to USB stick for safe shutdown.

I tried removing Limine using undeploy script from here https://bkhome.org/news/202207/images/li-v1.0-4.png
Not sure if I did it correctly but it didn't work. I still get the PANIC page on bootup.

USB stick still boots up fine.

Any thoughts on how to fix this?

Thanks again,

bugnaw333

Post by bugnaw333 »

Barry,
I have a problem on my Fujitsu touchpad. When I tried to configure, it shows "Couldn`t find synaptics properties. No synaptics driver loaded?"

Thanks,
Reynaldo

Attachments
Screenshot(9).png
Screenshot(9).png (404.95 KiB) Viewed 1087 times
BarryK

Post by BarryK »

halpad wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:09 pm

Thanks, BarryK. I tried several times to use EasyOS (2.1.10) for update to no avail.

Next step; I used Windows to write 4.3.4 to a usb stick. That worked great. Quick boot up and seems to work fine.

I then copied easy.sfs, initrd, vmlinuz to sda4/easy/dunfell

I booted without the stick and it booted straight to EasyOS 4.3.4 Dunfell, and seemed to work ok.

Lesson #1....don't try to fix what aint broke.

I then tried to install Limine, using the installer.
Limine only found the old EasyOS 2.1.10.
I thought, no prob, I can add the others later. Big mistake, Reboot produced PANIC page and wont proceed. Tried the ctrl, alt, del for reboot several times getting the same results. I had to reboot to USB stick for safe shutdown.

I tried removing Limine using undeploy script from here https://bkhome.org/news/202207/images/li-v1.0-4.png
Not sure if I did it correctly but it didn't work. I still get the PANIC page on bootup.

USB stick still boots up fine.

Any thoughts on how to fix this?

Thanks again,

I have never tried that "--undeploy".

What was the previous bootloader, grub?
If so, you could probably restore things to working bootup by running shinobar's grub2config, which is in some of the recent pups.

There was a report that grub2config doesn't work in EasyOS, so you would have to boot one of the pups that has it. Or the pet can be installed in a pup.

halpad

Post by halpad »

I give up!
Ive tried several ideas retrieved from yours(and others) posts.
Nothing seems to bring back the ability to boot from my hard drive with Limine.
Also can't seem to get back to GRUB.
No worries!

My plan is to use Easy/Dunfell from the stick for a while to see if I'm happy
with it(so far so good).

I may do a full on restore of my desktop(due) with Easy/Dunfell as the main OS.
Now with the updated Firefox provided in Dunfell,
I can sync and do nearly everything I want to on the web.

If I really feel the need for Windows, I have a Win10 laptop.

This old computer(circa 2012 dell 2307) is a bit tired and tends to
shut down a lot with Win10 running.

It seems to do much better with EasyOS.

Thanks again for all your help.

mouldy

Post by mouldy »

halpad wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:24 pm

Windows churns things and has lot hidden processes going on. Makes more heat. If its shutting down frequently, guessing your computer could use cleaning for better air flow and maybe reseat processor heatsink with new thermal goo.

bugnaw333

Post by bugnaw333 »

mouldy wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:11 pm

Windows churns things and has lot hidden processes going on. Makes more heat. If its shutting down frequently, guessing your computer could use cleaning for better air flow and maybe reseat processor heatsink with new thermal goo.

After WindowsXP, Windoze slows down over time. That is why I`m thankful for Barry and Mintsuki for the Limine to work on my Fujitsu Futro MA574 using EasyOS. :thumbup2:

halpad

Post by halpad »

I give up!
Ive tried several ideas retrieved from yours(and others) posts.
Nothing seems to bring back the ability to boot from my hard drive with Limine.
Also can't seem to get back to GRUB.
No worries!

My plan is to use Easy/Dunfell from the stick for a while to see if I'm happy
with it(so far so good).

I may do a full on restore of my desktop(due) with Easy/Dunfell as the main OS.
Now with the updated Firefox provided in Dunfell,
I can sync and do nearly everything I want to on the web.

If I really feel the need for Windows, I have a Win10 laptop.

This old computer(circa 2012 dell 2305) is a bit tired and tends to

It seems to do much better with EasyOS.

Thanks again for all your help.

I NEVER give up(I may give in)

I decided to install EasyOS to my wife's abandoned Dell Inspiron 1100 3000 series. This thing has ample storage(500G), 4G ram, 2.16 quad processor. Despite that it is extremely slow in Win10. It's been thrown to the floor, across the room(still works), and abandoned for several years.

IT WORKS! After a bit of tweaking, I now have a dual boot(EasyOS & Win10) laptop. Seems to work great with EasyOS, still same old Win10, though it seems to boot faster. I'll be tweaking Windows, slim down to bare min in future.

I digress, Now back to my vintage Dell 2305;
I reformatted the ext4 partition.

I copied EasyOS from the stick to ext4 partition

Tried to reboot several times with different tweaks....no joy.

I noticed Limine was in both sda1(original win boot menu) and sda4.

I actually just deleted Limine sys and Limine cfg from sda1.

Rebooted and presto! Limine appeared(Easy Dunfell option only). Booted nicely.

My attempts to configure Limine to boot windows has(so far) been unsuccessfull, but I will keep trying.

Maybe....I'll try it on my really old Toshiba(if I can find it)

Return to “EasyOS”