Mullvad VPN on EasyOS

Moderator: BarryK

catacombs

Mullvad VPN on EasyOS

Post by catacombs »

I know a Human Rights Defender who was talking about the difficulty of doing Secure computer work with individuals in other countries who are not highly computer experienced.

I had thought EasyOS was a step in a better direction, away from Windows. Fellow said it was difficult for many of the HRDs in other countries to even get internet out of their country without a VPN. Installing VPN, using OpenVPN, and without experience was difficult. I know that Mullvad has an App which works with some distros.

My initial effort to get Mullvad App to work was not successful. I am out of time today to work on this.

Any of you have experience with using VPN, through an App, as opposed to OpenVPN?

Tor is a bit slow. Apparently the added difficulty of typing causes some to prefer to use a Video Chat App. I am not sure which one, or how it is Encrypted.

williwaw

Re: Mullvad VPN on EasyOS

Post by williwaw »

catacombs wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:13 pm

My initial effort to get Mullvad App to work was not successful.

Any of you have experience with using VPN, through an App, as opposed to OpenVPN?

Barry added wireguard support to his kernel last year
https://bkhome.org/news/202111/kernel-5 ... l-snd.html

I have used the second method with mullvad
https://mullvad.net/en/help/wireguard-and-mullvad-vpn/

that said, I have not used the second method with easy, and my efforts were before wireguard was part of the kernel, but I did find mullvad to be one of the first to support wireguard and it worked well. reviving http://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?t=4404 might be a place to ask if your question is specific to wireguard

the .deb app on the mullvad page seeems quite large and probably still handles the openvpn protocol

catacombs

Post by catacombs »

Thank you for your reply.

The Mullvad App has the word Wireguard on the front of the App.
There is, I see, a Pet to work with VPN, I have not tried it. It had further work which was needed in

Basically the person who I wanted to look at EasyOS is clear that the Human Rights Defenders (HRD) which are in other countries, have, in the past tried to install a VPN with Terminal, and OpenVPN in Qubes. Not very successful. This group wants to use some software, Video Chat, Signal, and they have trouble getting their Internet Connection outside their country without a VPN.

It is a simple, Point and Click GUI or not at all. The person I have been on the Qubes Forum with, really wants these indiivduals to use Qubes.

All I can say is, if I could install a VPN GUI onto EasyOS, then he might lead them into a safer way to work for Human Rights.

As of now, I would prefer someone make a Pet out of the Mullvad App.

I ask another question; Is ther some big reason not to think EasyOS is up to the task of working with Human Rights Defenders (Workers?)

catacombs

Post by catacombs »

This is a quote from a thread in the Qubes Forum:

"Human Rights Defenders HRDs and journalists already have so much on their mind. The have to think of the victims of violations, of protecting their sources, of funding for their projects, of their government harassment, etc. As a result, they have very high expectations that their laptops work out of the box."

" The best example of how useless guides are is setting up a VPN on Qubes. VPN is an absolute must because HRDs need their connection to “exit their country” before accessing the Internet. Tor is not an option for day-to-day emailing, conference calls, and cloud collaboration. Maybe 5% of HRDs I work with can figure out the VPN setup guides after wasting hours of going through the guides and learning basic terminal commands."

Reply: The guides are so complex because they allow customisation of where in the Qubes stack you put the VPN.

But yes, I agree that it’s way too much, especially for someone who thinks that a VPN is just a way to access Netflix in another country, and there are things that can be done.

Return to “EasyOS”