Easy 3.4.7 plus Vivaldi on throttled connection

Moderator: BarryK

mouldy

Easy 3.4.7 plus Vivaldi on throttled connection

Post by mouldy »

My internet is by tethering to a cell phone via an ATT MVNO reseller. ATT network dropped 3G and went to only allowing whitelisted phone (they paid ATT fee to get on the list). So I had to get white listed phone. Bleh, anyway since then I seem to run out of "fast data" before month over on regular basis. Throttled data is about equivalent of fastest dialup. Not fast.

EasyOS 3.4.7 definitely fast and stable, but Firefox, even on Easy stumbles with slow throttled connection. Seamonkey even slower. Well I tried Vivaldi sometime back on MX. Meh, busy interface was kinda turn off and nothing very special that I noticed, that being with fast data. But got to wondering and still had the deb around so installed it on Easy. Bingo. Oh this doesnt do miracles, you arent going to watch video on throttled connection, but it makes say using Ebay or such whole lot nicer.

I am still not sure whats special about Vivaldi for slow connection, but it plus Easy seem match made in heaven for my old core2duo desktop (2.93Ghz with 4GB RAM). Why its faster than other Chromium clones, no idea. Put it this way as an example, on throttled data, 50-50 luck of draw if Firefox on Easy can do web login to my ProtonMail account without timing out, on MX or windows, it will spin its wheels and usually time out. I couldnt even log on using builtin Chrome browser on my old Android phone. With Vivaldi on Easy, 5 seconds if no heavy traffic, upto a minute with heavy traffic. Across the web, slow connections get low priority from servers. But Vivaldi doesnt just time out.

I am mentioning this in case anybody else runs into this. Oh I did install cookie autodelete, ad blocker ultimate, canvas fingerprint defender, and user-agent switcher (yea for some sites it makes a difference). Also point out if you have faster connection, it really doesnt matter much. But if you get throttled or just have slow connection for other reasons, this combo is just enough faster to make life lot more pleasant.

Return to “EasyOS”