Easycast/recordmydesktop captures no sound

Moderator: BarryK

mouldy

Easycast/recordmydesktop captures no sound

Post by mouldy »

I was playing with easycast screen recorder. It appears to be a front end for recordmydesktop. Anyway it works fine to capture the video, but NO SOUND. Is there a trick to getting sound along with the video? I was attempting to capture small online video playing in Firefox and Firefox playing sound while video running. And yes am using EasyOS 3.4.7.

I tried recordmydesktop as CLI, also no sound, but CLI programs like this can have large number option flags so not really a good test for somebody thats never used it before.

BarryK

Re: Easycast/recordmydesktop captures no sound

Post by BarryK »

Off the top of my head, I can't say why audio not working for you. I did get sound, but the details are not coming back from wherever they are stored in the brain.

Will probably get around to taking another look at it soon.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@mouldy :-

If that's a front end for RecMyDesk, there's a wee trick to getting sound working. In RecordMyDesktop, you have to set up the sound parameters before you try doing anything. I also found out, long ago, that unless you do set the card correctly, it won't actually fire-up at all.

OOTB, RecordMyDesktop comes preset to

audio device = 'DEFAULT'
sample rate (or 'frequency') = 22050
Channels are set to 1 (mono)

That 'DEFAULT' won't work for Puppy. ALSA likes a specific device to work with, so you need to replace 'DEFAULT" with whatever card your microphone works with; in my case, I use

Code: Select all

hw:4,0

.....and that way, it's set to use the twin stereo mikes on my Logitech webcam - I discovered, quite by accident a couple of years ago, that the c920 will act as an audio input device even when not in use as a webcam (obviously, the audio card & video inputs are individually adjustable, and must run on two separate circuits). I also have a couple of 'headsets', both with boom microphones, but it's easier just to leave RecMyDesk permanently set to use the c920's microphones.

(While you're at it, it's not a bad idea to change that sample rate to 44100; it gives more natural sound reproduction. And if you have it available, and want to be able to include audio from your computer as well, remember to tick the "Loopback mixing" checkbox in Retrovol, or wherever. Perhaps in 'alsamixer'; I seem to recall the audio set-up in EasyOS 'Buster' took some head-scratching to figure out....)

I've been using RecordMydesktop for years; it's one of the simplest, easiest-to-use screencasters around for Puppy. Just out of interest, where did you get this "Easycast" from? Is it only in the EasyOS repos? I'm just a-wondering now if it would work with Puppy.....

-------------------------------------

@BarryK :-

Barry, is this a "built-in" item, or is it available as a standalone package? I don't really want to have to download/install EasyOS again just to find it, y'see......I'd like to take a look at this. If it's just using the CLI recordmydesktop as a backend, this might be a good candidate for another 'portable' package, since it won't need all that Python stuff..! :mrgreen:

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

mouldy

Post by mouldy »

mikewalsh wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 2:41 pm

@mouldy :-

If that's a front end for RecMyDesk, there's a wee trick to getting sound working. In RecordMyDesktop, you have to set up the sound parameters before you try doing anything. I also found out, long ago, that unless you do set the card correctly, it won't actually fire-up at all.

OOTB, RecordMyDesktop comes preset to

audio device = 'DEFAULT'
sample rate (or 'frequency') = 22050
Channels are set to 1 (mono)

That 'DEFAULT' won't work for Puppy. ALSA likes a specific device to work with, so you need to replace 'DEFAULT" with whatever card your microphone works with; in my case, I use

Code: Select all

hw:4,0

.....and that way, it's set to use the twin stereo mikes on my Logitech webcam - I discovered, quite by accident a couple of years ago, that the c920 will act as an audio input device even when not in use as a webcam (obviously, the audio card & video inputs are individually adjustable, and must run on two separate circuits). I also have a couple of 'headsets', both with boom microphones, but it's easier just to leave RecMyDesk permanently set to use the c920's microphones.

(While you're at it, it's not a bad idea to change that sample rate to 44100; it gives more natural sound reproduction. And if you have it available, and want to be able to include audio from your computer as well, remember to tick the "Loopback mixing" checkbox in Retrovol, or wherever. Perhaps in 'alsamixer'; I seem to recall the audio set-up in EasyOS 'Buster' took some head-scratching to figure out....)

I've been using RecordMydesktop for years; it's one of the simplest, easiest-to-use screencasters around for Puppy. Just out of interest, where did you get this "Easycast" from? Is it only in the EasyOS repos? I'm just a-wondering now if it would work with Puppy.....

-------------------------------------

@BarryK :-

Barry, is this a "built-in" item, or is it available as a standalone package? I don't really want to have to download/install EasyOS again just to find it, y'see......I'd like to take a look at this. If it's just using the CLI recordmydesktop as a backend, this might be a good candidate for another 'portable' package, since it won't need all that Python stuff..! :mrgreen:

Mike. ;)

Its built into EasyOS, least version I am using which is last official one, not the Bookworm one. Thats why I was playing with it, cause its there. I was curious so tried it in MX19. Same thing there, video, no sound. They use different gui frontend. The one in EasyOS is better IMHO. Anyway sound is DEFAULT device there too so guessing thats the trick, gotta define soundcard.

Oh tried Kazam in MX19. It just works. In both Kazam and recordmydesktop, having problems forcing it to just record part of screen, but no doubt I am just not doing it correctly.

mouldy

Post by mouldy »

Ok, it didnt like my sound card as "device" would error out when I tried to run it like that. In MX19 gtk-recordmydesktop, replaced DEFAULT with pulse. That worked. I can record with sound now in MX19.

On the EasyOS EasyCast version, not seeing where to tell it to use pulse. But go look again.

EDIT: Still cant find where to have device = "pulse" in EasyCast frontend. However I ran "recordmydesktop --device=pulse" on commandline and that worked. I got video with sound recording of desktop. Probably right in front of me but for life of me cant see where to define this in the gui.

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

@mikewalsh
EasyCast goes way back. Argolance created EasyCast originally, in 2015, and posted about it on the old forum.

Here is my blog post:

https://bkhome.org/news/202203/easycast ... rding.html

Here is the PET:
https://distro.ibiblio.org/easyos/noarc ... st-2.0.pet

Return to “EasyOS”