Any interest in EasyArch, built from Arch Linux packages?

Moderator: BarryK

BarryK

Any interest in EasyArch, built from Arch Linux packages?

Post by BarryK »

I got interested in this recently, seeing what peebee has been doing, with arch32pup and arch64pup. So I had a go in woofQ, to build EasyOS based on Arch packages, see first blog post:

https://bkhome.org/news/202201/hit-road ... yarch.html

I got past that "road block", it turned out to be a minor bump on the road, and have got a desktop working.

I was reading posts in peebee's arch32pup thread, and they report that support for building with Arch packages got removed from woof-CE. Ditto Scientific Linux. I wondered about that, and found that it was done here:

https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... 3e3e7da4e1

I presume that it was discussed beforehand, before doing that.

Although Arch support is still there in the legacy branch, the scripts are old and broken. For example, 0setup needs to be fixed. I have appended mine here, from woofQ, with fixes for importing Arch packages. See attached 0setup with false ".gz" appended.

An argument against build from Arch packages is that it is a rolling release; however, as I explained in my blog post, Arch keeps package snapshots, going back several years. Here is my DISTRO_COMPAT_REPOS-arch-20211231' attached, with false ".gz".
That file has a different syntax from modern woof-CE, but is the same as in woof-CE legacy branch.

My interest in building EasyArch, is can run it in a container in EasyOS Dunfell series, for access to its larger package repository. But, EasyArch could also be released as a standalone product, if people are interested.

Attachments
DISTRO_COMPAT_REPOS-arch-20211231.gz
(1.48 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
0setup.gz
(43.19 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
blgs

Re: Any interest in EasyArch, built from Arch Linux packages?

Post by blgs »

I’m interested in easyarch as a standalone distro with all feasabilities as currently in easyos dunfell series.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@BarryK If you are interested there is a Git repo with some work done on ArchPup32 ->
https://github.com/techrockedge/archpup32

Not much has occurred on it recently but it might have some value!

FeodorF

Post by FeodorF »

@BarryK

A stand alone built might be better if you have to trouble shoot the system itself or applications of it.

Yes, this would fit, Arch64Pup was based on libc-2.3.3.so, the same version you are using right now.
Running Arch64PUP 20.05 iso image dating back to 2021/05/27 - missing the save icon.

Arch64Pup-20.05.png
Arch64Pup-20.05.png (35.85 KiB) Viewed 807 times
nevarmaor

Post by nevarmaor »

I used Arch for years until the switch to systemd. I would likely still be using it but for that (my system started running less stable after the switch, so I switched). I would be interested in playing around with EasyArch when ready.

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

If moving from buster > dunfell > arch is a progression that lets you work on your original ideas and/or woof more, and maintenance of repos less, then it seems worthwhile.

Fiberoptik

Post by Fiberoptik »

I would an Arch based version that's updated!

Return to “EasyOS”