How to use WINE🍷 in EasyOS?

Moderator: BarryK

Maybe

How to use WINE🍷 in EasyOS?

Post by Maybe »

Hello to the creator of EasyOS and the users of this awesome OS!

Can you please tell me how to use WINE in EasyOS? Where and what version to install?

FeodorF

Re: WINE🍷 in EasyOS

Post by FeodorF »

@Maybe

Yes, you can compile Windows in EasyOS but you will be limited to version EasyOS 2.7.3 as it uses glibc 2.3.1 for cross compiling to Win 32bit as well as Win 64bit.

Later Versions of EasyOS are using glibc 2.3.3 .

If you like to get familiar to compiling wine with glibc 2.3.1 you can have a look at Fossapup64 version 9.5 .

proebler

Post by proebler »

@Maybe
Wine 4 and 5 AppImage on github - No installation needed!
viewtopic.php?t=1754

The AppImage works in EasyOS, where I use it to run the Win version of XnView.

Maybe

Post by Maybe »

proebler wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:43 am

@Maybe
Wine 4 and 5 AppImage on github - No installation needed!
viewtopic.php?t=1754

The AppImage works in EasyOS, where I use it to run the Win version of XnView.

Thanks a lot!

I've looked at all the links you provided, but it's still not entirely clear to me how to get wine.applmage to work. I downloaded wine 5 applmage and placed it in the right folder. I then created two links /usr/bin/wine and /usr/bin/wine32 pointing to wine 5 applmage.

Please tell me what to do next?

From Dmitry (Russia)

mikewalsh

Re: How to use WINE🍷 in EasyOS?

Post by mikewalsh »

@Maybe :-

I use this myself.

You've correctly added links to /usr/bin/wine & /usr/bin/wine32. Add one more, for extra functionality...../usr/bin/wineserver.

The next step is for WINE to create its 'prefix' @ /root/.wine.

To do this, open a terminal, type in

Code: Select all

wine winecfg

....and hit 'Enter'. On the first run of this, it runs the set-up sequence, including download/install of 'Mono' and 'Gecko'. Once the /root/.wine 'prefix' has been created, second and subsequent calls of 'winecfg' will bring up the WINE control panel, instead.

You also need to create a sym-link - /root/.wine32 - pointing to /root/.wine. (The AppImage looks for both of these).

-----------------------------------------

(You don't have to leave the AppImage with that great long complicated name. I've re-named my WINE 5.11 AppImage to simply 'WINE64', and deleted the .AppImage suffix off the end. AppImages will still run happily like this, because it's the act of clicking on the outside container that transfers the Exec action to the AppRun launcher within.....so it's irrelevant what you actually name them..!)

Once all the above is set-up, WINE is ready to go.....

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

mouldy

Post by mouldy »

This thread got my attention, recently installed EasyOS and it does have a very limited repository. Some programs you can kludge and fudge copying files statically. Many you can not. Having to compile programs easily available for other linux through package manager seems burdensome.

Unfortunately I wasnt paying attention to version of WINE and tried the appimage for v5. Nothing wrong with version 5 (runs well as appimage) but newer versions Kindle wont run on it. Need minimum of v6. And Amazon no longer lets you register older versions to your account. And wow, over 500MB for the v7. Maybe I will, maybe I wont. Be cool to have whats almost a portable version of current WINE. Easier to install Kindle for Android on my phone and then use scrcpy. LOL

Was looking at some of available appimages. Some interesting ones I never heard of. But none for old standbys like aisleriot and frozen-bubbble. So nice if those were available as appimage. Those can be rough installing manually if package manager doesnt have them. Though with WINE installed, XMsolitaire is decent alternative to aisleriot and its an exe file that just runs, doesnt install. So it works well with even old and small versions WINE.

mouldy

Post by mouldy »

Ok, I downloaded the v7 WINE appimage. Did the sim links. When I tried to install program, got..

# wine /files/personal/Kindle1.30.exe
APPRUN_WARNING: Unable to find interpreter: /lib/ld-linux.so.2
/tmp/.mount_wineYrbbJ3//usr/bin/wine: error while loading shared libraries: libpthread.so.0: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64.

Which I take to mean its looking for 32bit compatibility library. Usually when start getting ELF class errors...

This guy posting problem on another forum:

https://github.com/bottlesdevs/Bottles/issues/726

@mirkobrombin
In order to get /lib/ld-linux.so.2 i needed to add i386 architecture to debian, as i doesn't come with 32bit by default

So is there a 32bit compatibility sfs or whatever for EasyOS? One would think since the v5 appimage worked fine without such that the v7 would too. Guess the v5 appimage includes the 32bit libraries. Can one open the v5 appimage and grab the libraries?

mouldy

Post by mouldy »

In for a penny... not really knowing what I am doing... And didnt really help me if the 32bit libraries are here somewhere or what... :roll:

# /mnt/sda1/appimagepool-5.0.0-x86_64.AppImage --appimage-extract
squashfs-root/.DirIcon
squashfs-root/AppRun
squashfs-root/appimagepool
squashfs-root/appimagepool.desktop
squashfs-root/appimagepool.svg
squashfs-root/usr
squashfs-root/usr/bin
squashfs-root/usr/bin/appimagepool
squashfs-root/usr/bin/data
squashfs-root/usr/bin/data/flutter_assets
squashfs-root/usr/bin/data/flutter_assets/AssetManifest.json
squashfs-root/usr/bin/data/flutter_assets/FontManifest.json
squashfs-root/usr/bin/data/flutter_assets/NOTICES.Z
squashfs-root/usr/bin/data/flutter_assets/fonts
squashfs-root/usr/bin/data/flutter_assets/fonts/MaterialIcons-Regular.otf
squashfs-root/usr/bin/data/flutter_assets/packages
squashfs-root/usr/bin/data/flutter_assets/packages/libadwaita
squashfs-root/usr/bin/data/flutter_assets/packages/libadwaita/assets
squashfs-root/usr/bin/data/flutter_assets/packages/libadwaita/assets/icons
squashfs-root/usr/bin/data/flutter_assets/packages/libadwaita/assets/icons/close.svg
squashfs-root/usr/bin/data/flutter_assets/packages/libadwaita/assets/icons/maximize.svg
squashfs-root/usr/bin/data/flutter_assets/packages/libadwaita/assets/icons/minimize.svg
squashfs-root/usr/bin/data/flutter_assets/packages/lucide_icons
squashfs-root/usr/bin/data/flutter_assets/packages/lucide_icons/assets
squashfs-root/usr/bin/data/flutter_assets/packages/lucide_icons/assets/lucide.ttf
squashfs-root/usr/bin/data/flutter_assets/version.json
squashfs-root/usr/bin/data/icudtl.dat
squashfs-root/usr/bin/lib
squashfs-root/usr/bin/lib/libapp.so
squashfs-root/usr/bin/lib/libbitsdojo_window_linux_plugin.so
squashfs-root/usr/bin/lib/libflutter_linux_gtk.so
squashfs-root/usr/bin/lib/liburl_launcher_linux_plugin.so
squashfs-root/usr/share
squashfs-root/usr/share/applications
squashfs-root/usr/share/applications/appimagepool.desktop
squashfs-root/usr/share/icons
squashfs-root/usr/share/icons/hicolor
squashfs-root/usr/share/icons/hicolor/128x128
squashfs-root/usr/share/icons/hicolor/128x128/apps
squashfs-root/usr/share/icons/hicolor/128x128/apps/appimagepool.svg
squashfs-root/usr/share/metainfo
squashfs-root/usr/share/metainfo/appimagepool.appdata.xml

mouldy

Post by mouldy »

Ok, copied the i386 library from another linux to /usr/lib32 and sim linked as /lib/i386-linux-gnu . Now...

# wine winecfg
*** stack smashing detected ***: <unknown> terminated

Thats a new one on me. Havent smashed stacks in linux before. Learn by doing (and fumbling around) I guess. Apparently wine7 doesnt like things done this way. Sometimes you can get away with copy and paste, sometimes not.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@mouldy :-

The only thing I've so far been able to gather about 7-series WINE, is that it's been completely re-designed from the ground up....and now does most things totally differently to all previous releases.

It's gonna be a learning curve all over again!

(*shrug*)

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

mouldy

Post by mouldy »

mikewalsh wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 10:28 pm

@mouldy :-

The only thing I've so far been able to gather about 7-series WINE, is that it's been completely re-designed from the ground up....and now does most things totally differently to all previous releases.

It's gonna be a learning curve all over again!

(*shrug*)

Mike. ;)

I have gotten wine7 working in other linux distributions using the package manager. Usually have to add a repository maintained by the WINE people, the regular repository only has old versions. And hmm, seems I got it working in FossaPup sometime back, maybe a special Puppy package.... yep there is a dotPET for version 7.1, downloading it now to try. Pretty sure I had it or close to it working in Fossapup. But Fossapup had 32bit compatibility SFS I think.

Anyway got to thinking that appimage version of WINE7 might be faulty. Oh by way tried installing playonlinux, the generic install package you run by ./playonlinux. It ran but first thing out of box teststed for python and said I needed to install it. No idea where it was looking or what it was looking for, but thats POL, Had problems with it in past where it wouldnt let me manually install a local package until it checked in with the mothership. I was connected, but not according to it. It has these weird tests it runs before it tries to actually do anything. I'd rather it try and fail rather than play testing games.

mouldy

Post by mouldy »

Success. That WINE 7 appimg must be faulty. I installed the one size fits all modern Puppies generic dotPET package for WINE 7.1 and it worked, didnt seem to mind my kludgy copied 32bit library from MX19. Oh and its less than 100MB so fifth the size of that faulty appimg. Anyway I have Kindle for PC working in EasyOS. Honestly thats only thing I need WINE 6 or newer. That WINE 5 appimage perfectly capable for everything else.

Return to “EasyOS”