email clients

Moderator: BarryK

williwaw

email clients

Post by williwaw »

Balsa has been tried, Thunderbird has been suggested, and Barry is working on Claws for the upcoming release.

Not all linux email clients make it seamless to convert a local email mail directory to a different client.
Seamonkey uses mbox, as does Thunderbird, but Tbird has it's own way of implementing mbox, so not everything converts straight across.

Issues I had with migration of local stored email included retaining the previous directory structure, especially if one creates subdirectories. A few different solutions to migration were tried and many services and scripts are available.

One easy migration method often mentioned, is to download mail to the new client from the server. This is acceptable if most of your mail is still on the server. Uploading your local mail to the server from with your old client and then downloading to the new client is a way around converting archive formats, but can be problematic for large archives or those not wishing to relocate their old emails to the cloud, even if temporarily.

claws uses the MH format (and supports mbox with a plugin)
sylpheed uses MH (claws is a sylpheed fork)

I finally found and used a mozilla extension to import my local mail folder to seamonkey. It may be useful should you wish to convert your local folder to MH.
https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/th ... porttools/
and there is a newer version I have not tried,
https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/th ... ttools-ng/

At this point in time, I use a portablized seamonkey 2.46 on a data partition only to maintain my local email archive, and use webmail (imap) for day to day use, sweeping mail to seamonkey wiyh pop3 occasionally. I do not expect imap, pop3 or smtp to change as fast as http, so hoping it will work for a while yet.

Last edited by williwaw on Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
April

Re: email clients

Post by April »

In Sylpheed (and I think Claws as well) all your emails are in a directory called "Mail"
Firstly make sure you know the name of your existing mail directory.......say myMail
In Sylpheed you use the folder column on the left to open a new folder ,right click on Mail(MH) and name it myMail
Rebuild folder tree will bring it all in for you. Or Import from a specific folder .
Export it from time to time so you have a backup .
I have 16 years of emails in mine all properly formated ,listed and accessible.

The Australian State Governments have all enacted laws to steal your assets on your death. All legal paperwork is binned and all assets seized on one disgruntled child's complaint.Move them well before you die or go into a home.

charlie6

Re: email clients [SOLVED: Claws-Mail installed instead]

Post by charlie6 »

last edited: [SOLVED: Claws-Mail installed instead]
Have now installed Claws-Mail-3.18.0-r10 + dep libetpan-1.9.4.r10 using PPM: it runs OOTB (*) as expected :-) Many thanks to Barry Kauler !
(*) just had to fill the account settings the correct inputs.

Best regards from Belgium :thumbup2:
Charlie

original post hereafter:
Hi all,
here running EasyOs-4.5.5 updated from version 4.5.3.
Balsa-2.4.7-dunfell64 email client failed to send/receive mails
Downloaded main archive + deps gmime-2.4.33-dunfell64, using PPM.
Have configured the mail account.
Launch from terminal reports the following (launch Balsa + attempt sending a mail):

Code: Select all

# balsa
** Message: 13:32:24.432: protocol OpenPGP: engine /usr/bin/gpg2 (home (null), version 2.2.27-unknown)
** Message: 13:32:24.432: protocol CMS: engine /usr/bin/gpgsm (home (null), version 2.2.27-unknown)
** Message: 13:32:24.432: protocol GPGCONF: engine /usr/bin/gpgconf (home (null), version 2.2.27-unknown)
** Message: 13:32:24.432: protocol Assuan: engine /root/.gnupg/S.gpg-agent (home !GPG_AGENT, version 1.0.0)
** Message: 13:32:24.432: protocol UIServer: engine /root/.gnupg/S.uiserver (home (null), version 1.0.0)
** Message: 13:32:24.432: protocol Spawn: engine /nonexistent (home (null), version 1.0.0)

(balsa:18332): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 13:33:22.389: g_object_unref: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
sh: no : commande introuvable

Thanks in advance for any help :-)
Best regards
Charlie

BarryK

Re: email clients

Post by BarryK »

Yes, it was awhile back, I attempted to use Balsa, it didn't work for me either.
Perhaps I should remove it from the package repository.

We have two clients that work, SeaMonkey and Claws, good enough.

Have written that onto the to-do list.

Return to “EasyOS”