How to duplicate EasyOS setup?

Moderator: BarryK

Airdale

How to duplicate EasyOS setup?

Post by Airdale »

I have been using EasyOS Dunfell as my main OS recently. It has been a little more complex to get set up than previous puppies and Quirkys, but right now I have it set up just right. Printing and scanning works. Sound is ok. I have ProtonVPN set up and working. I have a few other apps added that I use on a regular basis and the dependencies installed.

It's working so well I would like to install it on my other laptop as well.... but I do cringe at the thought of starting from scratch. So how to duplicate it?

At first I thought remastering would be the way to go. I tried this a couple of times. I swapped out the remastered easy.sfs for the original and performed a frugal install on the new laptop. However, X fails to start. It is not the hardware itself, because if I perform a frugal install of a new 3.1 installation X boots without any trouble at all.

Next I thought if I copied my whole EasyDunfell folder from the old laptop to new maybe that would work. However, this just boots up a completely new EasyOS session that is running completely in ram.

With puppies I used to just copy the savefile and I was good to go. Curious what the best way to procede with Easy would be.

I'll keep chipping away at it.

Thanks.

Last edited by Flash on Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Original title: Duplicate EasyOS setup
BarryK

Re: Duplicate EasyOS setup

Post by BarryK »

The equivalent of the puppy savefile is the "save folder":

mnt/wkg/.session

Copy it to a usb-stick with EasyOS installed:

# cp -a mnt/wkg/.session /mnt/<usb stick partition2>/DOTsession

remove file 'fsckme.flg' from DOTsession folder.

Bootup the usb-stick on the other PC, and copy the folder to overwrite the .session in the other PC:

# cp -a -f --remove-destination /mnt/<partition2>/DOTsession/* <path to .session>/.session/

Airdale

Re: Duplicate EasyOS setup

Post by Airdale »

BarryK wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:40 pm

The equivalent of the puppy savefile is the "save folder":

mnt/wkg/.session

Copy it to a usb-stick with EasyOS installed:

# cp -a mnt/wkg/.session /mnt/<usb stick partition2>/DOTsession

remove file 'fsckme.flg' from DOTsession folder.

Bootup the usb-stick on the other PC, and copy the folder to overwrite the .session in the other PC:

# cp -a -f --remove-destination /mnt/<partition2>/DOTsession/* <path to .session>/.session/

Worked perfectly!

Thanks!

Return to “EasyOS”