Why SeaMonkey?

Moderator: BarryK

Maybe

Why SeaMonkey?

Post by Maybe »

Dear Barry! I see that in all your projects you use SeaMonkey as your default browser. But why SeaMonkey? Why not Chrom or PaleMoon for example?

FeodorF

Re: Why SeaMonkey?

Post by FeodorF »

Hi,

Adding an other browser to EasyOS is not difficult at all.

- Download the browser you like from the www,
- install it to /root and
- pull the executible of it to your desktop

f.e.: Pale Moon
- http://linux.palemoon.org/download/mainline/ -download x64 tarball
- extract the XZ archiv to /root and pull
- /root/palemoon/palemoon to your desktop

You can go the same way with the Basilik browser.

Palemoon-Basilik.png
Palemoon-Basilik.png (14.45 KiB) Viewed 556 times
BologneChe

Post by BologneChe »

I use Firefox. I install it like FeodorF and it work well.

Born to lose; live to win

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

There has been a lot of discussion over the years on the Puppy Forum, why we use SeaMonkey.

The most popular reason is because it is a suite. You get WYSIWYG HTML editor, IRC client, address book, email and news client, for not much extra size than a standalone browser such as Firefox.

Also, some people do actually use those apps in the suite. I use the HTML editor regularly, and there are those who use the IRC client, address book and email client. probably most people these days access email online, but there are still people who prefer to pop it off the Internet and store emails locally.

In theory, SM in EasyOS is configured to report that it is Firefox, and should work like Firefox, but we do find that sometimes it doesn't quite measure up to FF compatibility. I don't know why.

Also, it is very annoying that some sites only work properly with Chrome. I found this awhile back, with transferwise.com, I had a problem, inquired, and they recommended that I use Chrome. So I accessed transferwise.com with Chrome on my Android phone and it worked perfectly.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

From what I can see of it, Google are steadily developing the same strangle-hold on the web with Chrome that MyCrudSoft used to have with Internet Exploder. But there's one major difference; Chrome just works.....and bugs are swiftly fixed. IE, it never really worked what you'd call 'properly', and it always took till the following month's "Patch Tuesday" before anything got fixed (and even then M$ would always find another way to cock it up.)

As for Seamonkey, it's not my personal favourite, but I'm happy to keep packages up-to-date for those that DO like it. And, as has been reported many times in the past, it does seem to be considerably lighter in its demands on CPU, RAM, etc. Which is exactly what you need for elderly hardware.

Myself, I've tried setting-up the e-mail client with my a/cs, but it's nowhere near as easy as with Thunderbird; most settings - port numbers & all that stuff - have to be entered manually, and I've never yet got it right. I stick with TB; for me, it just works.

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

I use Seamonkey for many of the same reasons Barry mentioned, and appreciate having an up to date version available.
Chromium is available as an sfs with Buster, but not yet for Dunfell afaik. I do have one working though, google based browsers can take some tweaking to get running. See
viewforum.php?f=90

BologneChe

Post by BologneChe »

Hi;

Not a fan of SM initially. But we appreciate with the daily use and the easy access to the mail application. I like the plurality of genres in the world of browsers. I use more than one. SM is a relevant choice ... more interesting than Palemoon anyway!

Born to lose; live to win

GMBudwrench

Post by GMBudwrench »

All I use is Seamonkey. I found about about it way back in version 4.20, the first Puppy that I started using. I like it for the reasons Barry mentioned, but I also use Mikes portable version after learning how to insert his script and I can update my own now. It's just a full featured browser and eliminates having to deal with other applications. Mail, address book, chat, etc.

HP G71 Wins10 64 bit, 2.2ghz 320gb hdd, Bionicpup64 on a WD 500gb portable HDD.

Return to “EasyOS”