How to have Google Earth in EasyOS?

Moderator: BarryK

sszindian

How to have Google Earth in EasyOS?

Post by sszindian »

If anyone has a .pet or .sfs Google Earth program that 'works' in EasyOS, please list it here, I haven't found one that works out-of-the-box yet!

If you are using Chrome or Firefox browser, you can get the browser-Specific-Google Earth- Experimental version where google-earth runs completely in the browser on EasyOS, 'no download and install required.' It doesn't work with Seamonkey browser.

Just type in your Chrome or Firefox browser= https://earth.google.com/web

>>>---Indian------>

OscarTalks

Re: Google Earth

Post by OscarTalks »

Which EasyOS are you running?
I tested my Google-Earth 64bit package in EasyOS Buster (2.4.1) I had to add libgstreamer and libgstreamer-plugins-base via the Package Manager, but then it worked. So not "out of the box", but not too difficult to do. Sometimes Google-Earth is fussy about graphics hardware and drivers. I have modesetting driver loaded (not intel) and it displays fine.
I have not tested EasyOS Dunfell yet, but presume any missing libraries will need to be installed somehow.
Packages are here (yandex disk storage), use latest x86_64 version:-
https://yadi.sk/d/a_pz785f3Lbcuz

Attachments
earth-easy-buster.jpg
earth-easy-buster.jpg (135.85 KiB) Viewed 372 times
mikewalsh

Re: Google Earth

Post by mikewalsh »

sszindian wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:19 pm

If anyone has a .pet or .sfs Google Earth program that 'works' in EasyOS, please list it here, I haven't found one that works out-of-the-box yet!

If you are using Chrome or Firefox browser, you can get the browser-Specific-Google Earth- Experimental version where google-earth runs completely in the browser on EasyOS, 'no download and install required.' It doesn't work with Seamonkey browser.

Just type in your Chrome or Firefox browser=
https://earth.google.com/web

>>>---Indian------>

I must say, I'm impressed. There's obviously been one hell of a lot of work gone on with the web version.

It's still a bit slow - takes time to load, especially in Street View - but this is light-years removed from the early version of the Earth webapp. That was SO slow & jerky as to be virtually unusable.....and, just like Oscar says about the G.Earth app, it was incredibly fussy about :-

• Do you have a discrete GPU?

• Are you running the right version of WebGL?

• Is hardware acceleration enabled - if not, WHY not?

• ....plus all sorts of other crap, notwithstanding the fact that Google refuse to implement hardware acceleration in the Linux version of the browser anyway!

No, this is something of a revelation. You go to the URL, it loads, and just works (which is kinda what I expected initially, but anyways.....)

It's still got a ways to go, but it's definitely getting there. It's usable, at long last.

Here I have it running as an 'app' in Iron32-portable.....and launched from its own desktop icon as a 'standalone' desktop client under Xenialpup 7.5. Nice way to get G.Earth functional once again in 32-bit Pups...! :D

[Click to enlarge:-]

Mike. ;)

Last edited by mikewalsh on Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

sszindian

Google Earth in EasyOS

Post by sszindian »

@OscarTalks: Howdy... I'm playing with the new milestone... EasyOS Dunfell 2.7.1

I installed the latest 64 Google Earth package from Debian, but there comes up something like 20 or 30+ various missing dependencies packages which I'm not about to tackle :( I just thought someone had a simple 'install once and use' already made up ready to go?

I do have the EasyOS Buster (latest version) and worked with that for awhile, it was nice but it appears that BK has his attention set on Dunfell for the future???

Just don't have the time or patience to play with these new programs like I did awhile back (pushing 79 this fall).
------------------------------------------------
@mikewalsh:

Yea Mike, the browser thing is the way to go for sure... Only setback I can see so far is the limited zoom capability but they might give some-more to us down the road. In EasyOS 2.7.1 it runs very fast and really it's about all one could ask for in an easy to use package.

>>>---Indian------>

OscarTalks

Re: How to have Google Earth in EasyOS?

Post by OscarTalks »

Now testing EasyOS Dunfell 2.7.1 for the first time.
The Google Earth PET package works (apparently you can't use Puppy SFS in EasyOS)
You have to use Package Manager to install gstreamer and gstreamer-plugins-base (just those 2)
Note package names are not "libgstreamer*" in this case.
Ignore any messages about other missing dependencies

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

In spite of the warning, the experimental version works for me with 2.7.1. I clicked on your link in the opening post and selected the button below right. and waited a bit....

maybe someone can comment on how it compares to the installed pet?

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@sszindian :-

Ah, Google stuff is in a constant state of development, and 'Earth' is one of their showcase apps. They'll be tweaking it from here till doomsday, I can guarantee that!

I've already found things I like about it over the desktop client; spatial navigation, for one thing. No more of this looking around via a compass, or with the look-up/look-down/look-left/look-right tool. You want to look around at a different view, just click and 'drag' the screen around to where you want it. MUCH easier.

I haven't (yet) found any limitations with the zoom functionality. It goes as far in as ever the desktop client will.....to the point where the individual satellite-controlled 'tiles' lose focus. That lower 'limit' has always been there, and is a function of how the mapping technology works.....over which the likes of thee and me have NO control.

Works very well for me, at any rate.....and lets me get it back on 32-bit Pups, like I said.

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

sszindian

Post by sszindian »

@ OscerTalks:

Tried by installing those 'libs' you mentioned (they have different names in PPM... yes) Anyway still a No-Go... dug a little deeper and in the \bin clicked on the Google file there (symlink to wherever) and that did the trick so just put that on the desktop and gave it a nice new GE-graphic, works great.

Now have the latest running from Debian and the Browser one... 'Oh My Head Spins' so much to play with :thumbup2:

'Thanks for the tip'

>>>---Indian------>

sszindian

Post by sszindian »

@ mikewalsh:

Hope you have a ton of use for the browser-one.. Yea know, I wonder about these modern-day programmers, why it took so long for this feature. Way Way back in the Commodore64 days I was writing html programs and used nothing but the browser as the workhorse, they worked as good as any of the C, C++ stuff back then and was a whole lot simpler to work with, javascript was a bit tough at first but wow what you could do with it and html in combo.

>>>---Indian------>

Return to “EasyOS”