EASY v5.7 image booted via Ventoy - some questions

Moderator: BarryK

Clarity

EASY v5.7 image booted via Ventoy - some questions

Post by Clarity »

Hello @BarryK , et. al.

Environment

1. I have a TV with a single HDMI wire to my desktop PC

2. Since this is modern, the PC ONLY has 2 wires: HDMI via its nvidia adapter (NO other display adapter) to TV and its power cord.

3. I downloaded the v5.7 image file to my Ventoy USB and placed it in its BOOTISOS folder.

4. I booted the USB and selected EASY v5.7

5. It booted to desktop and I am using it on its desktop.

I have an observation as well as a request in its initial usage.

Observation: EASY does not setup the audio.
Since there is NO cabled speakers, the ONLY speakers are via the nvidia card to the TV. BUT, EASY set default audio to motherboard where there are NO speakers. EVERY HDMI display or TV has speaker in this day and age from manufacturers. Not sure if this is possible, but should/could EASY set the default to the TV knowing TVs have speakers. (YES I KNOW how to use MSCW, but on pristine there are issues.)

Request: Guidance on Sessions via following questions

• Where are sessions saved upon a pristine boot via a Ventoy USB?

• And will EASY find a prior session that has been saved when EASY reboots via Ventoy; OR MUST a parm be used to guide EASY?

Where do sessions go when clicked?
Where do sessions go when clicked?
EASY v5.7 SaveSession.jpg (214.31 KiB) Viewed 305 times

Further: In association with this request Barry, I DO understand this you've published: " There are two partitions, sdb1 is the boot partition, and sdb2 is the working partition." Yet, in running this with Ventoy, the IMG file is the boot partition. What I am asking is if you have a provision for "foldering" the files necessary for a session within an existing partition already "thought of" such that when booted, a service or user can direct the session for saving?

NOT PRESENT on pristine ->The SESSION contents
NOT PRESENT on pristine ->The SESSION contents
EASY v5.7 SaveSession2.jpg (14.19 KiB) Viewed 276 times

Thanks for any help

Thanos

Re: EASY v5.7 image booted via Ventoy

Post by Thanos »

I think you mean is you want to save the session to the EASY v5.7 image booted via Ventoy?

Yes, you can do it. You need to enlarge the image to save the session. I am doing this and very successful.

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Actually, I was thinking if possible to not disturb the 'ro' booted IMG file. Instead, to save the session while maintaining Barry's concept of a boot partition and a session partition. BUT, instead of dedicating a partition, it would allow the session itself to be stored in a folder on an existing partition such that it could be found at reboot. Of course, to do this, some non-existent mechanism for EASY session discovery is needed. In WoofCE PUPs its PSAVE parm (or presence of SAVESPEC file negating the need for PSAVE) at boot that does this; In FATDOG its SAVEFILE parm; in KLs its w_changes parm; etc in Puppyland kennel.

Just my thoughts.

Thanks @Thanos. BTW: I know you (@BarryK too) mentioned this expansion. Are there directions? I never pursue that approach as it meant changing the shipped IMG file which has never been my intent since I started booting Puppyland's distros released by each developer.

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

Clarity wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:47 pm

some non-existent mechanism for EASY session discovery is needed.

your bootloader kernel line can spec a {wkg} dir in a different location

Return to “EasyOS”