What happened to the network traffic indicator?

Moderator: BarryK

Flash

What happened to the network traffic indicator?

Post by Flash »

Older versions of Puppy Linux, if you rested the cursor on a certain icon in the tray, would show how many MB or GB of data had come through the Ethernet connection each way. EasyOS doesn't seem to have that feature. Is there an app I can download from somewhere that would add it?

I need it because somehow my Internet usage has greatly increased, according to my ISP, while I've changed nothing and I'm trying to figure out why.

Chaos coordinator :?
BarryK

Re: What happened to the network traffic indicator?

Post by BarryK »

The old network tray monitor is still there, at /root/Startup/network_tray

You will need to right-click on it, choose "Properties", then tick the "Exec" checkboxes.
Then restart X.

I can't think why it would clash with the regular network monitor. Well, it will if try and use it for anything other than just monitoring.

What that old network monitor does, is read files in /var/local/sns
...um, but I see they are all zero.

Hmmm, the code that writes to those files is at line 118 in /etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown

I see a bug, line 121:

Code: Select all

# ip link show | grep -B 1 'link/ether' | grep -w 'UP' | cut -f 2 -d ' ' | tr -d : | head -n 1
eth0
# 

But this is my laptop, and active interface is wlan0. This would be a better method to find active interface:

# getlocalip
lo: 127.0.0.1
wlan0: 192.168.43.132
# 
Flash

Post by Flash »

Thanks, Barry.
The current_month file in my var/local/sns just says Dec, but the other files in that directory have numbers in them that might be correct. For instance, rx_bytes_month shows 1061905867.
I'm running 5.6.5 as of a few days ago, so that number probably isn't accurate for the month.

Keef

Post by Keef »

Looking at the output of:

#  ip link show 
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
    link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
2: eth0: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,[b]UP[/b]> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast state DOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
    link/ether d0:67:e5:4d:bc:20 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
3: wlan0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,[b]UP[/b],LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq state UP mode DORMANT group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 24:77:03:5e:03:28 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

This would seem to work better:

ip link show | grep -B 1 'link/ether' | grep -w 'state UP' | cut -f 2 -d ' ' | tr -d : 

Doesn't need the 'head' part as far as I can see.

Flash

Post by Flash »

The contents of /var/local/sns/rx_bytes_month stayed the same between my last post and now, so it's not actually recording. Perhaps the contents of that file are what was there when Barry assembled EasyOS 5.6.5.

Return to “EasyOS”