Where to find a list of all programs included in EasyOS?

Moderator: BarryK

mimine

Where to find a list of all programs included in EasyOS?

Post by mimine »

Hello,
do you know where to find a list of all programs included in easyos ?
Or in puppy linux distributions in general ?
In general, the documentation seems complicated for a newbie ...(in my opinion).
Thanks

BarryK

Re: Where to find a list of all programs included in EasyOS?

Post by BarryK »

Look at:

/root/.packages/woof-installed-packages

And:

/root/.packages/devx-only-installed-packages

Same in the pups, though I think recent pups have moved those files into /var somewhere.

Federico

Post by Federico »

Maybe /usr/share/applications ?

Desktop PC
Case: Sharkoon S25-W MB: Asus Rog Strix B550-A PSU: XFX Pro 750W CPU: AMD Ryzen 5700X @ 4.6 GHz RAM: Corsair 32 GB DDR4 @ 3000 MHz Heatsink: Scythe Mugen 5 rev. B VGA: Asus Tuf RTX 3080 12 GB OC

Laptop PC: Asus Zenbook UX325E

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

I searched the forum, found this:

viewtopic.php?t=8563

So, recent woof-CE built pups have /var/packages/woof-installed-packages, moved from /root/.packages in earlier pups.

mimine

Post by mimine »

Sorry, I meant an online document where the list is.

oui

Post by oui »

I use a print screen of /usr/share/applications because I can see there all the icons. eventually turn the page before shooting with xrandr -o normal xrandr -o left (the view can be longer...) after shooting, turn the screen back using xrandr -o normal in the console with the cursor-up key...

but you can also get the list very easy with a cat /usr/share/applications > applist

MochiMoppel

Post by MochiMoppel »

I think what mimine means is a feature/package list like this that tells a potential user what he/she can expect before going through the tedious process of actually downloading and installing a Puppy or Puppy related distro.
This is something I miss myself. For food packages a list of ingredients on the outside of the package (!) is mandatory here, for Puppy packages it's not :lol:

mimine

Post by mimine »

MochiMoppel wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:16 am

I think what mimine means is a feature/package list like this that tells a potential user what he/she can expect before going through the tedious process of actually downloading and installing a Puppy or Puppy related distro.
This is something I miss myself. For food packages a list of ingredients on the outside of the package (!) is mandatory here, for Puppy packages it's not :lol:

exactly... :)

Federico

Post by Federico »

Then, there you go:

https://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=easyos

Beautiful! We have surpassed MX Linux. Only Debian itself is a above us, and not by much! I think that Easy is actually the best, even if some features are missing and / or susceptible to improvement, because it offers portability and eliminates the need of the sudo / gksudo commands. It looks like we are heading in the right direction, really!
I wrote the tutorial about Linux virtual machines with QEmu on MX Linux, just because it includes the KDE window manager and has Dolphin as file manager. Now: since I modified EasyOS heavily for personal use and we use it with integrated Dolphin as file manger and Okular as pdf viewer / editor, our personal score is at least 9.5 .

Of course, there is still space for improvement, es gibt noch Luft nach oben. For sure I'd like a better organized package manager, for example, in which the installed packages are shown in alphabetical order and the window can be freely enlarged or resized. Also I noticed that often some desktop icons do move around when the system boots, aka: either they don't stay where they were left the last time the system was shut down or they loose their assigned icon, replacing it with the standard / default one of the currently selected theme. This last phaenomenon occurs mostly when using an USB stick and booting Easy from a different PC. Also an option to create new links on the desktop more easily (similarly to MX Linux, for example, where the user can easily add links on the desktop to programs or URLs just with the right mouse button) wouldn't be a bad thing, imo. But, it's also true that these are all really just (small) details. The system is now really good at its core, especially since the addition of the possibility to add pieces of operating system through sfs files and use them to gain the ability to compile programs.

Desktop PC
Case: Sharkoon S25-W MB: Asus Rog Strix B550-A PSU: XFX Pro 750W CPU: AMD Ryzen 5700X @ 4.6 GHz RAM: Corsair 32 GB DDR4 @ 3000 MHz Heatsink: Scythe Mugen 5 rev. B VGA: Asus Tuf RTX 3080 12 GB OC

Laptop PC: Asus Zenbook UX325E

mimine

Post by mimine »

Federico wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:14 am

Then, there you go:

ok google gave me that link too.
But why not in official puppy documentation, we must rely on external websites?

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

mimine wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:55 am
Federico wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:14 am

Then, there you go:

ok google gave me that link too.
But why not in official puppy documentation, we must rely on external websites?

Yeah, I will upload the list of builtin packages, to ibiblio.org, next release of Easy.

I have done that in the past, but only occasionally.

mimine

Post by mimine »

BarryK wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 2:07 pm

Yeah, I will upload the list of builtin packages, to ibiblio.org, next release of Easy.

I have done that in the past, but only occasionally.

Thanks a lot ! :thumbup:

Return to “EasyOS”