How to install OpenVPN in Fusilli?

Moderator: Forum moderators

bullpup

How to install OpenVPN in Fusilli?

Post by bullpup »

Hi everyone.

I'm taking F96-CE for a test walk and this weekend I will see to get my NordVPN started. Is there a way to install Open VPN on Fusilli?

EDIT:
Good distro, I like it so far after a week using it as a daily driver. There is a "VPN App" on Fusilli which seems to be not working/discontinued as both VPN sites/servers don't exist anymore.

"Get a pup", they said. "It'll be fun", they said. They where right!
(Various Pups with save folder in QEMU/KVM)

pp4mnklinux

Re: OpenVPN?

Post by pp4mnklinux »

Hi:

I suppose you have a user name and password for OpenVPN, in this case, I think (other more prepared user can confirm or not) you must go to ...

MENU - PUPPY SET UP - PACKAGER MANAGER ... and there look for OpenVPN and you have got the resources to connect and manage your connection.

Install it, configure it and connect....

Hope it works for you.

You can take a look at viewtopic.php?f=146&t=2628 just in case...

~

F96CE_XFCE_FUSILLI ====> https://puppyxfcefusilli.wordpress.com/

bullpup

Post by bullpup »

pp4mnklinux wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 6:29 pm

Hi:

I suppose you have a user name and password for OpenVPN, in this case, I think (other more prepared user can confirm or not) you must go to ...

MENU - PUPPY SET UP - PACKAGER MANAGER ... and there look for OpenVPN and you have got the resources to connect and manage your connection.

Install it, configure it and connect....

Hope it works for you.

Yeah. I have a subscription. Alright I will proceed as suggested. Will channel back experiences.

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

@bullpup

OpenVPN will contain your username/password details.

If you log into your NordVPN account you should have a section that will allow you to download the configuration file or you can simply view them.

If you decide to use the Command-line version of NordVPN. Once it is installed you will go through some initial setup prompts which require these details to be provided.

Once this initial setup has been completed and you are successfully connected. Then select the type of server that would be most suitable for you and the type of encryption required.

For future use you should be able to use a simple command via terminal to connect with the variables required.

Here is an example, written several years ago. Just to give you an idea.

https://sleeplessbeastie.eu/2019/02/04/ ... e-utility/

Good luck :thumbup:

bullpup

Post by bullpup »

@Jasper thanks for that. I have been using the command line for using Nord on my bare metal machine for 2 years now and that installs quite easily via "curl". Setup in minutes, nordvpnd running right of the bat, no fuss.

Puppy works differently (stating the obvious) and I tried to install via the curl command..........sorta failed. At least failed in the way I was used to install.

Therefore I decided to give OpenVPN a shot as I have heard so many in the Linux community talk and write about it so as a part of the "learn as I go" experience I want to do that. As a part of the learning process.
8-)

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

@bullpup

Try using Wget via terminal instead eg

wget --no-check-certificate <your URL>

Curl appears to have some bug within Fossapup and therefore might spit out an error.

Using Wget is a workaround and should give you the application.

A bit more reading material for the weekend ........... :lol:

search.php?keywords=openvpn&t=1239&sf=msgonly

OscarTalks

Post by OscarTalks »

You may wish to try this little .pet package, download and then click on it to install, use Puppy Package Manager if you wish to uninstall it later:-
http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks/vpn-onof ... -fossa.pet
This CONTAINS a version of OpenVPN so if you have a subscription with NordVPN and they offer you an application which requires you to have openvpn installed you will already have that requirement satisfied. The openvpn was compiled from source in FossaPup64 so should be fully compatible with your system.
Also you can use it on its own as intended to connect to the free VPN services or adapt it for use with paid VPN services if they provide a .ovpn configuration file. Once installed, further notes are in the README file in /etc/vpn-onoff

bullpup

Post by bullpup »

@OscarTalks

THAT is very helpful! You know after a whole DAY after reading, researching, learning, trials and errors you posted this lol.
I just finished reading extensively on OpenVPN (also on the NordVPN site) and I think I have a pretty good idea how to proceed next.
Downloaded your app, read the README (which is very clear) and will proceed tomorrow (fresh start, I'm exhausted right now lol).

I will take notes and after all has been setup and working (which it will) I will write a thourough "how to" for everyone who also wants to get NordVPN working on pups.

Thanks, have a drink on me :D

bullpup

Re: How to install OpenVPN in Fusilli?

Post by bullpup »

@OscarTalks Just tried to configure vpn on/off which wasn't that hard to do but did hit a snag.

Couldn't create a symlink and name it as you described in the README. (F96-CE). Will give it another shot.

OscarTalks

Post by OscarTalks »

To create a new symlink you just need to do a couple of steps in ROX-filer file manager. If you are using a different file manager it might be a bit different but the principle should still be the same.

Everything is done from within the /etc/vpn-onoff directory.
If you want to use an extra .ovpn config file, eg from NordVPN, place it in this directory after applying the edits for things like path to the passfile.

Then to do the change:-
First delete the existing vpnconfig symlink
Then right-click on the .ovpn file you want to use and select the "Link..." option
ROX offers you a small dialog window which allows you to type the name that you want the new symlink to have
Give it the name vpnconfig to replace the one you deleted and click the "Symlink" button in that little window to complete creation of the new symlink with the desired name.
Make sure you have typed the name correctly.

The attached image shows the little ROX window. Here I have deleted the old symlink and right-clicked on the config file named fvpnt80.ovpn because I want to use it.
The ROX window initially shows the name of the file I am going to link to, so I use the keyboard to name the symlink as vpnconfig before completing. Trying to describe it sounds more complicated than actually doing it.

Attachments
symlink-name.jpg
symlink-name.jpg (69.62 KiB) Viewed 753 times
Neo_78

Post by Neo_78 »

@OscarTalks would your VPN pet work under FatDog for a non-root user account?

OscarTalks

Post by OscarTalks »

I'm afraid I don't know, sorry

Return to “F96-CE”