KLV 32 Bit with a Void Linux Kernel 5.9.16_1

Moderator: Forum moderators

rockedge
Site Admin

KLV 32 Bit with a Void Linux Kernel 5.9.16_1

Post by rockedge »

As I have mentioned, I've built a KLV 32 bit operating system using @wiak 's latest build_rootfs scripts using the KLV-Airedale PLUG file.
KLV-32 is using a 32 bit Void Linux kernel 5.9.16 and the initrd.gz is built using an older version of the build_initrd scripts. I borrowed the kernel from a WeeDog32-Void in principle that has a proven track record.

KLV-32-1.jpg
KLV-32-1.jpg (18.97 KiB) Viewed 639 times
KLV32bit_xfce4-600px.jpg
KLV32bit_xfce4-600px.jpg (26.83 KiB) Viewed 633 times
wiak

Re: KLV 32 Bit with a Void Linux Kernel 5.9.16_1

Post by wiak »

Looks fine rockedge, but surely no problem for it to work with current initrd script (though will need the modules places inside the initrd in location /usr/lib/modules or better still just the cutdown boot-needed modules using FRmake_initrd.sh and FRmake_initrd_deps.sh? There is no disadvantage to using newer initrd but several advantages and extra modes. But doesn't really matter if your build works for your intended purpose of course.

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@wiak I will be running a build and using all the latest scripts soon. The root_fs of the KLV 32 bit is built using the latest script.

Update will follow. Working on removing the SFS-Load and replacing it with @fredx181's SFS fuse loader and putting out a KLV-Airedale-rc11

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@wiak Really impressed with the performance of the KLV-32 on a laptop with a single core Intel Celeron that was a WinXP machine once upon a time.

I took it KLV-32 pretty far, building with the new scripts, although it seems the initrd-latest.gz was no longer available so I resorted to a version from a few days ago that I was lucky and downloaded at some time and I saved a copy. I ran into some troubles booting with the new kernel so I reverted back to the 5.9.16 32 bit. When running with the 64 bit kernel the system reports that the OS is being run in the userspace 32 bit mode

After building it I took parts from Bionic32 and stuffed it in. Most of everything works but this is fully experimental and a proof-of-concept distro and this is as far as this road goes. Really cool and fun to test drive. But no plans on further development or a release.

Screenshot(2).jpg
Screenshot(2).jpg (29.01 KiB) Viewed 553 times

Wallpaper background is from a photo taken from a porthole in the MIR-2 looking at the MIR-1 landed on the deck of the battleship Bismarck at 4482 meters deep on the North Atlantic's ocean bottom. Taken from Dive #6 for the documentary about the Bismarck I worked on.

wiak

Post by wiak »

rockedge wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:18 am

...this is as far as this road goes. Really cool and fun to test drive. But no plans on further development or a release.

That's fine rockedge.

But yes, let's forget it. Not worth your publishing it after your recent statement concerning your role and this forum and its purpose. Since I created FirstRib, I need to support it and Puppy Linux crowd need to address the distro's old age and faded relevance to address your forum's actual status nowadays. FirstRib (even under a Kennel Linux disguise) cannot help you further with that, though you can build whatever distros you want for yourself or others with it, and no-one will complain since they know you control the forum resource nowadays, if that means much in today's plenty of Linux distro choice out there reality.

As you well in fact know, it was my suggestion by PM to you long ago that for the sake of better and more interesting collaboration between forum members the forum should include a new type of distro that everyone could contribute to and share work on.

As you also know, it was myself who also came up with the name "Kennel Linux" and not yourself. Better you forget that idea and move on and do you best to help your Puppy distro enthusiasts with that Fossapup F96-CE or whatever. The KL section was an attempt to create a more active, fuller-featured, modern, and collaborative environment and endeavours to shore up this patently rusty old building and offer something more generally attractive than the one-man woof-CE controlling dimkr Vanilla Pup/not-Pup/Pups???! or re-vamps of what the Puppy world produced long ago. It is neither your fault nor mine that no-one stepped up to create any KL-distro that started from a Puppy base.

KL idea and its positioning situation near the top of forum that 'concerns' some of your team. Just forget it, move/eliminate, whatever placates your flock and dedicate yourself to your Puppy Linux role as their forum master. Hope your forum's membership increases since old faces are too old and too few nowadays. Personally, I turn three score years and ten in a couple of days time, so my priorities are also shifting and you should not allow your membership to question my mental health on this or any public forum, which, via their emails that I have had access to as a founding admin of this forum, could put them into an unwanted situation.

DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@wiak I am at a complete loss of words. Unfair unwarranted and leaves me feeling confused.

I never claimed anything. What's wrong with F96 ? I have been nothing but supportive of FirstRib and your reaction is surprising me.

Lots of words based on "mine" and "yours" I see. I am now the enemy? I can shut this down so fast it will leave a vacuum.

I am working towards trying to make a Puppy using the FirstRib scripts

wiak

Post by wiak »

rockedge wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:02 am

@wiak I am at a complete loss of words. Unfair unwarranted and leaves me feeling confused.
I can shut this down so fast it will leave a vacuum.

Go for it rockedge. Your power to do that means nothing to me. You offered no support against malicious attacks against me, but instead simply cemented that you were on the Puppy Linux side of the fence at the end of the day, which is fine. This forum and that power and position is what you wanted. But FirstRIb needs users who benefit or enjoy it to fight against malicious comments and harrassment. The forum is full of sleeping vultures who gang together at every opportunity when they have numbers and someone like myself is alone to defend against their rubbish. It is not a problem whatever vacuum you choose to make. I am told I have a mental health issue, and that I am arrogant and need to 'get over myself'. I don't feel any of these symptoms but find myself having to justify myself against such talk - so I asked myself, why do I make these distro building systems available, and the distros I recently myself produced with them, when no-one is there when the jealous little pups come snapping? It is simply not worth putting up with - that's all. What you do with your forum is your concern. Unfair, unwarranted? Nothing of the sort - next time defend a person if you want their support and collaboration.

It is not about distros. It is about personal attacks and insinuations about my mental health. My wife read all the comments and for the first time ever told me that I should stop doing this work and leave such a forum - she knows I have been working flat out for days on end only to find myself facing that situation - she asked why on earth I am doing all that work and giving it to such people. And standing like in an empty field surrounded by hateful enemies I realized she was correct.

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@wiak That is just not true. I have been fully supportive. Your words are hurtful and I thought we are friends.

I have only said I will not change the name of the forum at this time. Do you think your the only one to be considered? Lately the Puppy people criticize me and now you as well? Everyone complaining that I am not doing this right?

You completely misunderstood what I wrote. Shit from the government, shit from you and shit from them. How fun.

Can you please point out the attacks on you so I can deal with it, No one will get away with it. I am missing out on those attacks so some guidance will help.

Fuck fuck fuck......now I am really really pissed off.

ally

Post by ally »

just for the record, I do have mental health problems

:)

wiak

Post by wiak »

rockedge wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:47 am

I have only said I will not change the name of the forum at this time. Do you think your the only one to be considered?

First, I have never asked you to change the name of the forum. Second, I have never asked to be considered on that matter. I am just one human being on a forum - nothing more, nothing less.
I have friends rockedge (in real non-social-media or forum type life I mean). They would not leave me to be attacked and insulted and have my mental health ridiculed on a publc forum. Friends simply don't do that. Your support of FirstRib was never denied - you like the system, and if anyone was supporting your use of it, that was me, not the other way round - but that does not oblige me to take shit from your forum members when not one user of anything I produce has a negative word to say against them.
Nor do I need you to use FirstRib or anyone else; that's up to you, that's up to them - as you said, you can use the likes of FR without ever being attacked for that usage despite this being the "Puppy Linux Discussion Forum" - as forum provider no one dares attack you - plenty suck up, of course... But when they attack me and you sit back and don't support against that kind of jealousy, you do me no favours and I have no feeling to do any back therefore in return. Not worth it to me. Forget it. One thing for sure, it is not me at all that needs or wants any 'status' or attention seeking (poor amethyst and dimkr) - that is not why I was here even one little bit.

Last edited by wiak on Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

wiak

Post by wiak »

ally wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:57 am

just for the record, I do have mental health problems

I never asked, nor suggested it, and I don't need to know. Doesn't change the situation or explain your actions at all.

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

ally

Post by ally »

what actions?

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

Personally, I turn three score years and ten in a couple of days time, so my priorities are also shifting and you should not allow your membership to question my mental health on this or any public forum, which, via their emails that I have had access to as a founding admin of this forum, could put them into an unwanted situation.

WTF. just came back from Labour Court where I dealt with some loon in the workplace and now this. What a wee sad sack petal you are:
1. You are not that old but are acting very immaturely which is worrying.
2. Your recent "form" on the forum is definitely indicative of a mental meltdown. We do not of course know your current mental state but I think I have a pretty good idea. You should definitely see a professional for your egoism problem.
3. Never a good idea to threaten people on a public forum (especially when they may be lawyers). Just a mention/alert... Your recent track record on this forum does not bode well... and has made you very unpopular on here in a short space of time.
4. What a poster said on another thread: "@wiak: Stop it please!!! Seek some help." very good advice, you should take heed.

Note to @rockedge: If this fellow continue in this vein it may be the best thing (risk wise for the forum and yourself) to cut him loose. Seems to becoming a SOS (shoot on sight) case. People threatening others should immediately be banned in my view. This and his other recent behaviour should not be tolerated.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@wiak See what I mean?

Now instead of me finding a way to see my Son and spend just a little time with him because the last time was 8 years ago and there is an ocean in the way.

All I know is I am upset and getting mad. Bullshit all of it. Of course you'll come back with something to put me in my place I'm sure.

just came back from Labour Court

Wow that is heavy....I had to take an employer for lack of payment to the same type of court once....hopefully all went well.

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

rockedge wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:22 pm

@wiak See what I mean?

Now instead of me finding a way to see my Son and spend just a little time with him because the last time was 8 years ago and there is an ocean in the way.

All I know is I am upset and getting mad. Bullshit all of it. Of course you'll come back with something to put me in my place I'm sure.

just came back from Labour Court

Wow that is heavy....I had to take an employer for lack of payment to the same type of court once....hopefully all went well.

Represented an employer whose employee went batshit in his work area.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@amethyst That is a very dangerous situation and glad that it was handled in court and not in some American style mass shooting at the work place. We've had 47 mass shootings (4 or more shot at once is the criteria) since 2023 started.....a record.....

Very touchy complicated stuff requiring a cool head for sure... is the case over or more to come?

wiak

Post by wiak »

It is you who is being threatening amethyst, but pointlessly. It is also you who is publically slandering me in terms of mental health insinuations, which is not a fact in my life. I was pointing out that it is unwise to slander any individual in that manner on a public forum since email addresses are available to the forum admin for registration purposes and thus people who resort to such abusive attacks are not as anonymous as they might imagine. But rest easy, I had never looked nor had or have any interest in any forum members contact information and rockedge informs me that such information isn't available to me in my limited admin role anyway. The legal rules of this forum, as far as I, a non-lawyer, understand them do not allow such mental health insinuations, baseless or otherwise, against any forum member. If you are indeed legally trained, then I am sure you know that so it really yourself that rockedge is supposed to warn re your potential ban from being a member here. Seems there are no rules afterall unfortunately. Bigpup normally points out such rules. I myself have never acted against any individual via my admin rights; just not something I am interested in doing.

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

Seems there are no rules after all unfortunately

More insults on my abilities? No making peace then? Meanwhile say you're not going to lift a finger but I should? I am confused here.

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

rockedge wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:46 pm

@amethyst That is a very dangerous situation and glad that it was handled in court and not in some American style mass shooting at the work place. We've had 47 mass shootings (4 or more shot at once is the criteria) since 2023 started.....a record.....

Very touchy complicated stuff requiring a cool head for sure... is the case over or more to come?

Concluded, we won.

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

wiak wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:24 pm

It is you who is being threatening amethyst, but pointlessly. It is also you who is publically slandering me in terms of mental health insinuations, which is not a fact in my life. I was pointing out that it is unwise to slander any individual in that manner on a public forum since email addresses are available to the forum admin for registration purposes and thus people who resort to such abusive attacks are not as anonymous as they might imagine. But rest easy, I had never looked nor had or have any interest in any forum members contact information and rockedge informs me that such information isn't available to me in my limited admin role anyway. The legal rules of this forum, as far as I, a non-lawyer, understand them do not allow such mental health insinuations, baseless or otherwise, against any forum member. If you are indeed legally trained, then I am sure you know that so it really yourself that rockedge is supposed to warn re your potential ban from being a member here. Seems there are no rules afterall unfortunately. Bigpup normally points out such rules. I myself have never acted against any individual via my admin rights; just not something I am interested in doing.

Don't talk shit with me with regards to the law. You better shut up now, I'm getting tired of your shit.

wiak

Post by wiak »

rockedge wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:31 pm

More insults on my abilities? No making peace then? Meanwhile say you're not going to lift a finger but I should? I am confused here.

For goodness sakes Erik. Just do what they want. Remove me from the forum for anything I said that broke forum rules or just for the peace you want. It is fine. Amethyst can win yet again, and congratulations to him or her.

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

wiak wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:44 pm

For goodness sakes Erik. Just do what they want. Remove me from the forum for anything I said that broke forum rules or just for the peace you want. It is fine. Amethyst can win yet again, and congratulations to him or her.

Yes i win, you can fuck off now.

wiak

Post by wiak »

amethyst wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:46 pm
wiak wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:44 pm

Hey!

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

wiak

Post by wiak »

Mind your language amethyst. Rockedge can decide based on forum rules what to do I'm sure, or bigpup or one of his other moderators.

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

one

Post by one »

Hi @all,

Hi @all,

the animosity between @wiak and @dimkr has existed for some time - and every time one dares to post in the other's thread there are uninhibited reactions, subtle or overtly hostile.
What bothers me most is that certain forum members then greedily take the opportunity to take one side (or the other) and add fuel to the fire.

The lack of self-control among many members is obvious, otherwise one cannot explain the violent reactions to any form of disagreement. As if there is anything to win if you had the last word in a discussion forum. It is better to sleep on it once to realize the other morning that there are more important things than to give an answer to every post.

Respect is given for what you do yourself, not for attacks and personal insults of other people. You also don't have to respond immediately to every nonsense that others say.

As for insults, that should be up to the moderators (not just rockedge) - but where are they when the building is on fire?

PS: I don't give a shit what the title of this forum is - and I don't give a shit if a potential new user can find his way around the forum with his various projects right away - read and learn you must.

peace

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

wiak wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:51 pm

Mind your language amethyst. Rockedge can decide based on forum rules what to do I'm sure, or bigpup or one of his other moderators.

What part of fuck off don't you understand? Fuck off is a an acceptable word in any leading and representative English dictionary. So fuck off.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

one wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:52 pm

Hi @all,

Hi @all,

the animosity between @wiak and @dimkr has existed for some time - and every time one dares to post in the other's thread there are uninhibited reactions, subtle or overtly hostile.
What bothers me most is that certain forum members then greedily take the opportunity to take one side (or the other) and add fuel to the fire.

The lack of self-control among many members is obvious, otherwise one cannot explain the violent reactions to any form of disagreement. As if there is anything to win if you had the last word in a discussion forum. It is better to sleep on it once to realize the other morning that there are more important things than to give an answer to every post.

Respect is given for what you do yourself, not for attacks and personal insults of other people. You also don't have to respond immediately to every nonsense that others say.

As for insults, that should be up to the moderators (not just rockedge) - but where are they when the building is on fire?

PS: I don't give a shit what the title of this forum is - and I don't give a shit if a potential new user can find his way around the forum with his various projects right away - read and learn you must.

peace

Those are wise words, locking this thread now, to much heat going on (moderators can unlock again of course, but must have a good reason IMO).
Should probably need a cleanup too, which I didn't do.
EDIT: Mmm... I thought I was able to lock this thread, but seems not, probably I'm not authorized enough, anyway can't figure out how, anyone else, perhaps only @rockedge can (as he started this thread) ?

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

one wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:52 pm

Please don't drag me into this again. Keep KL%s content where it belongs, Puppy content where it belongs, and irrelevant stuff outside of this forum. Even if you hate somebody or another project discussed in this forum, "don't s**t where you eat".

Trapster

Post by Trapster »

I just came to this thread because I was excited about seeing "KLV 32 bit with a Void Linux Kernel 5.9.16_1"
I am one of those old timers that haven't upgraded to 64 bit.

IMHO....immature personal attacks in a public forum should not happen.
Take it to a PM if needed.

"We" come to this forum to learn and possibly contribute to Puppy Linux and it's derivatives.
We do not come here to read dirty laundry.
I have been a member here since 2005 and Puppy has come a long way.
There are MANY knowledgeable and helpful contributors on this forum and I would hate to see it disappear.

Stay calm rockedge

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

Might do more with a KLV-32 soon.

Return to “KL-Dev_Work”