KLV-Airedale-rc1 the Release Candidate 1 is Available!

Kennel Linux Void-based

Moderator: Forum moderators

rockedge
Site Admin

KLV-Airedale-rc1 the Release Candidate 1 is Available!

Post by rockedge »

KLV-Airedale-rc1
Kennel Linux Void Airedale Release Candidate 1 733 MiB download size ->
KLV-Airedale-rc1
SHA1-MD5.txt

An improved and repackaged ISO has been uploaded into place. Please update to this version.

• Grub4Dos is now included in the System menu. Making KLV-Airedale capable of setting up a boot-able device using GParted and Grub4Dos.

• CUPS starting as a service has been added and is working thanks to @rcrsn51 spotting missing components!

This is constructed from KLV-Airedale-beta24->beta25->beta26->beta27 and with a custom Debian kernel version 6.0.0-5 SMP PREEMPT DYNAMIC made with @fredx181's script that will create a Debian derived kernel for KLV. Also has had a system wide upgrade. Uses an initrd.gz based on the FirstRib skeleton initrd.gz configured by the kernel/module creation script. Firmware SFS is from a woof-CE kernel-kit built huge 6.0.0-1 kernel which is modified by @radky for the distro F96_4-radky2. This firmware SFS is around 20 MiB bigger in size than the original but has a larger selection.

Also included is wiak's generate boot stanzas script. fredx181's mksplash has a menu entry and the remaster script is installed.

With the addition of a xfce4 desktop tiling configuration. A tip from @wiak for configuring Tiling windows done with the Super (Windows) key and an up, down, left, right, home, pgup, pgdown or end key.

gxmessage in the default rootfs.

save2flash has been expanded to handle persistence on FAT32 and NTFS partitions.
The mksplash GUI utility to create splash notification banners.

The latest initrd.gz brings vFat and NTFS formatted partition support to KLV, allowing persistence on NTFS/vFat systems as well as the usual /ext2/ext3/ext4/swap support.

• included htop, Grub4Dos, CUPS

• created a symlink /root/spot with the target /home/spot

• Auto login cleaned up.

• includes also the logout logic provided by fredx181 gives true mulit-user support.

• replaced loop.cfg to the most recent modifications.

• Debian kernel 6.0.0-3-KLV SMP PREEMPT DYNAMIC is used.

• added gtkhash

Plus the other important improvements contributed by the KLV team.

Added @fredx181's save2flash utility that can be used when KLV is started in RAM2 mode to perform session saves on demand for persistence.
This is similar to PUPMODE13 in Puppy Linux.

fredx181's swap partition enable script includes the latest revisions and also added are the packages

• mime-add-1.0_0.noarch.xbps

• edit-sfs-1.0_0.noarch.xbps

KLV-Airedale-beta25 is able to load squash SFS packages on the fly or during the boot sequence.
Squash files and ISO images can be opened from the file manager and the read the contents.

• can run with rootfs, 01fimware and 00module SFS files as uncompressed directories.

• Also able to load compressed and/or decompressed directories,
    once a 2 digit prefix is added to the file name.

• It is possible to mix using compressed squash files and uncompressed directories.

Also can be downloaded from https://rockedge.org/kernels in ISO->Kennel_Linux->Airedale

geo_c

Re: KLV-Airedale-rc1 the Release Candidate 1 is Available!

Post by geo_c »

Well I'm completely up and running with all my themes and rox configs linked from the tbox, and all the portables pictured below. Now with cups installed I'm ready to rebuild from the ground up and reinstall all the apps I grabbed from the Void repos.

I've been waiting for this version, thanks @rockedge

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

Well, I'm having better luck with cups than before, but no printing as of yet.

I installed hplip using OctoXBPS and cups opened up fine from the browser and found the printer and installed the driver for my hp_OfficeJetPro_9020,

I tried to print a test page from cups, and got the message "format not supported: txt/plain"

So I tried to print a pdf from librewolf and a text file from Geany, and everything appeared to work, but no printer activity. Went to jobs on the cups page using librewolf, and nothing is showing up in jobs.

Of course from what I've been reading the last couple months, CUPS is being re-tooled in a major way, so I don't know if it has anything to do with it, or it's just hplip or my printer, or some combination. Printing still seems to be a complicated aspect of personal computing.

Just reporting back on my test. Don't need a quick fix or anything.

geo_c

wiak

Post by wiak »

I must have a try of cups sometime. On other distros it has been a bit hit and miss for me - often printing but issues with margins even then. I use an old HP Deskjet 2540 inkjet so also use hplip. Yes, I noticed Cups changing way it does things, so interested to see if I can get it working, and then there are different hplip versions - I wouldn't call the whole Linux printing situation plain sailing, but then again I hardly printed anything myself for years until recently so don't know the configuration 'tricks' really. Most recently I had best success with EndeavourOS both scanning and printing, but would be excellent if KLV proves successful in that regard.

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

CUPS is missing the extra package cups-filters. Get it from the package manager and reboot.

I converted my hplip-print-scan PET to XBPS and installed it. It drives my networked HP Laserjet Pro MFP.

[Edit] I then installed xsane and got scanning working.

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

rcrsn51 wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:19 am

CUPS is missing the extra package cups-filters. Get it from the package manager and reboot.

I seem to remember OctoXBPS adding a filter package while installing CUPS hplip, but I'll take a look at that. Maybe I just needed to reboot, which I didn't do.

Last edited by geo_c on Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

geo_c

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

CUPS is missing the extra package cups-filters.

Good catch! I had it on my check list and in my enthusiasm for the mission, overlooked it and failed to install it (despite the checklist). I will go fix that now and get a new ISO uploaded.

Thanks @rcrsn51 for the expertise and observations! If I can get KLV to print reliably and straightforward to setup it will be a big step towards a stable release.

Can you share the .xbps package version of the HP drivers? I would really be impressed if I can get my HP f4500 going again!

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

Here is the download link for hplip-print-scan-klv: https://www.mediafire.com/file/c7ykvuot ... .xbps/file

1. In my tests, a reboot was required after installing the cups-filters package for CUPS to start working properly.

2. If you install Xsane AFTER installing the above hplip-print-scan driver, there will be a small problem. The solution is discussed in the hplip-print-scan development thread in the Drivers section regarding Voidpup.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@rcrsn51 Nice work and thanks for the link! This means I can send the HP F4500 printer back to school and the classroom to run again from the junk laptops the administration provides.

I have not yet tested KLV or KLA on a ChromeBook

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

rockedge wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:11 pm

@rcrsn51 Nice work and thanks for the link! This means I can send the HP F4500 printer back to school and the classroom to run again from the junk laptops the administration provides.

I don't understand this test report. Are you saying that the hplip-print-scan driver worked with your F4500? Both print and scan? What does this have to do with a school?

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

Just reporting back about cups and hplip.

Upon reboot my printer printed. So installing hplip from OctoXBPS did in fact install the CUPS filters, but as was mentioned, it needed a reboot. All working fine now.

I'm off to the races with KLV.

Last edited by geo_c on Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.

geo_c

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@rcrsn51 it means the package works and the HP F4500 is printing. Scan testing is not complete.

Also have not tested the HP F4500 and the package running on a ChromeBook yet.

it also means I'm trusting it works well enough that I would put it on a system running in a school classroom in that rigorous environment. A real world application of it.

I need to add Canon drivers to CUPS

dancytron

Post by dancytron »

I did a manual frugal install with "pupmode-13" and I am posting from it now.

Code: Select all

title KLV-Airedale-RC1
find --set-root uuid () 8778c5fe-442d-4627-aec2-5b0deZZZZ
kernel /KVL/vmlinuz w_bootfrom=UUID=8778c5fe-442d-4627-aec2-5b0de8fZZZZ=/KVL w_changes=RAM2
initrd /KVL/initrd.gz

Speed is excellent.

I've been trying to follow along, but it has moved so fast. Hopefully I'll get to spend some time with it over the next couple of weeks.

Dan

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

rockedge wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:35 pm

I need to add Canon drivers to CUPS

You can install Canon printer drivers with the "candi" script from Puppy.

1. Extract the attached candi2 package and copy the script to /usr/local/bin.

2. Go to a Canon site and download a driver package for your printer.

3. Extract the tarball, go into the "packages" folder and locate the .deb file for your system. Some older models have two.

4. Run: candi2 xxx.deb

5. Run CUPS.

Attachments
candi2.tar.gz
(484 Bytes) Downloaded 43 times
wiak

Post by wiak »

rcrsn51 wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:55 pm
rockedge wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:11 pm

I don't understand this test report. Are you saying that the hplip-print-scan driver worked with your F4500? Both print and scan? What does this have to do with a school?

So I also have an HP printer; an HP DeskJet 2540 AIO, being an inkjet printer with scanner... It does have wifi capability, but I currently only testing it attached by usb cable.

So two reports - first one particularly brief. I installed xsane and hplip using xbps-install -Sy xsane hplip. I possibly rebooted (can't remember) and I opened browser cups page via Applications (Start Menu) -> System -> Manage Printing. Hmmm... I know nothing about cups actually (and less about hplip) so stared at that cups server page in my browser for a while not knowing how to get printing to work, if it would.
So I opened a terminal and entered hp-setup -i (at least I think that was the command - found it via google)
and seemed to successfully configure the 2540 printer, but nothing appeared on browser cups page... Oh well...
But then I opened Admin tab on that cups page and, not sure what I did, but managed to add printer that way, and it then printed from Geany.
I also tried Xsane and that showed the HP 2540 as one of the detected devices and it scanned fine.
Annoying how huge that hplip install was though... and really I don't know if what I did above is correct procedure for best results. I really find Linux Print configuration ridiculously complicated - my granny could not do this!

Well, was curious about rcrsn51 hplip-print-scan-klv xbps package, particularly after downloading it, since it is ten times smaller than the hplip stuff I had installed from official Void repos. To be frank, I wasn't sure what that package was supposed to contain - thought it might just be libraries for sane and hplip but not drivers? I still don't really know. However:
I started once again from pristine installed latest KLV beta1, clicked on hplip-print-scan-klv xbps and that installed, and then I opened browser cups page again via ... Manage Printing. There was no hp-setup command (I tried) so instead I went straight to Admin tab of the cups server in browser and tried adding a printer - it did mention HP2540 so I clicked that and then asked what type driver and clicked HP. I guess, but can't remember, it then offered long list including HP 2540 such that I selected that. Anyway, suddenly said I had an HP 2540 printer attached.
Just for a better test, I installed WPS spreadsheet and loaded a big file, and yes, it printed - didn't get the margin quite correct, but maybe that is because I need to adjust in WPS - often have trouble with that in practice...

Then I installed Xsane using xbps-install. It started but didn't find the HP DeskJet 2540... I noted a comment from rcrsn51 about that, but didn't know where the hplip forum discussion he referred to was... However used Puppy Linux search and found it and the buried comment about Void and needing hpaio put at end of /etc/sane.d/dll.conf. I added that, but I didn't reboot... I just restarted Xsane and found all was already then well - scanning worked.

My only question (re: printing) would be - is the driver provided by rcrsn51 that works with my printer the same or more basic than what the full hplip package from Void Linux repos would provide. Both methods certainly seemed to work for me though full hplip contains tons of hp-XXX related tools as an addition, so not sure which method I am likely to use in practice.

DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

@wiak, cups takes some practice. Not intuitive I would say. My printing is working using hplip from void repo. It seems to me the printer is printing a lot faster from KLV than it was from fossapup for whatever reason.

hplip is big, but did you happen to also include the hplip-gui? I tried it once in fossapup and it didn't work, so I haven't bothered with that in KLV.

I have put my KLV back to previous spec after starting from scratch with the RC, and this time it's a lot more efficient, everything linked where possible, and I've created a log, so that maybe one of these days I can make a script to get it all installed and running from a fresh KLV. Only I would need to learn how use xbps from command line first. Script or not, the log is helpful because I know what's been added in each of my numbered upper_changes directories. It looks like this, ln means link, cp means copy, and an asterisk means it's been completed:

===20upper_changes-cfg
*ln tbox gtk
*ln tbox backgrounds
*ln tbox xfwm4
*cp app-launch
*ln portableAPP/LibeWolf-img/.librewolf /root/.librewolf

*xbps hplip
*reboot4CUPS

===21upper_changes-roxxfe
*xbps xfe
*cp tbox/../xferc /root/.config/xfe
*ln tbox/../xfe-icons /root/.config/xfe
*ln tbox/../xfe1.44 /root/.config/xfe
*cp rox mime-icons
*cp rox globicons

===22upper_changes-appcli
*xbps newsboat
*xbps micro
*xbps elinks
*xbps neomutt
*xbps calcurse
*xbps ranger
*xbps tilde
*xbps lynx

===23upper_changes-appcfg
-xbps w3m
*ln dbox.sync.mir/../SysT-DPi7/root-/.newsboat
*ln dbox.sync.mir/../SysT-DPi7/root-/.elinks/bookmarks /root/.elinks/bookmarks
*ln dbox.sync.mir/../SysT-DPi7/root-/.lynx /root/.lynx
*ln dbox.sync.mir/doc.accounts/lynks_bookmarks.html /root/lynx_bookmarks.html
*cp dbox.sync.mir/../SysT-DPi7/root-/.config/.tilde/ /root/.config/.tilde
*ln dbox.sync.mir/../SysT-DPi7/root-/.calcurse/nonORIGfiles /root/.config/.calcurse/
*ln dbox.sync.mir/../SysT-DPi7/etc/neomuttrcfN /etc/neomuttrcfN

===upper_changes
*void update
*xbps lilypond
*xbps lilypond-doc
*ln dbox.sync.mir/../SysT-DPi7/root-/.config/mc/skins /root/.config/mc/skins

-cp dbox.sync.mir/../mailcap /etc/mailcap

I was also happy to discover that the Tilde editor was recently added to the Void repo. It wasn't there before. I was using micro and getting used to it, but Tilde is still the best terminal editor for me.

geo_c

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

The only thing a bit goofy in KLV is the fact that I keep getting a rox panel every other boot. The rest is smooth as butter.

Last edited by geo_c on Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

geo_c

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

wiak wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:50 am

My only question (re: printing) would be - is the driver provided by rcrsn51 that works with my printer the same or more basic than what the full hplip package from Void Linux repos would provide.

@wiak: Thanks for your test report. I have been building the hplip-print-scan package for years. It is compiled from the official hplip sources but contains just the CUPS printer driver and the SANE scanner backend. That keeps the size and number of dependencies low. It's the same driver with the same features as you would get in a full hplip install from a distro's repo.

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

Attached below is a tarball containing three print-scan-related apps in .xbps format.

Please test and report.

Attachments
print-scan-apps.tar.gz
(63.84 KiB) Downloaded 35 times
wiak

Post by wiak »

rcrsn51 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:32 pm

Attached below is a tarball containing three print-scan-related apps in .xbps format.

Please test and report.

I don't normally have my HP DeskJet 2540 AIO out of the cupboard and connected since I rarely print anything nowadays, but since it was out, connected, and cups installed I took a little time to try above.

All installed fine after clicking on them (had already updated repos via xbps-install -Sy)

I tried peasyscan first since that one particularly interested me. I can't remember exactly what happened but pop-up had my printer in it as a choice so that was accepted as fine.
I pressed help button, but since murga-linux http address no longer exists needed one change to /usr/local/bin/peasyscan script line 51:

Code: Select all

$WEBBROWSER http://oldforum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?t=61046

I quickly read the help usage post so then pressed Start button and did a Preview scan and accepted the provided resolution without changing it for the quick test.
Worked fine. Scanner provided preview just like it does when alternatively using Xsane program.
Very impressed it worked so well and in such a small package.

Didn't have much time but whilst on the ball quickly tried peasycups and peasyport.

For peasycups only tried Check printers since I only have that simple usb connected local printer at the moment, but it was detected fine, and Run CUPS popped up the browser cups server page since CUPS already running in the background I suppose. Also clicked on Cancel all print jobs and it indicated that had occurred. Next time I'm actually printing I'll test more thoroughly, but all looking good thus far and again impressive replacement for much much bigger upstream packages that provide similar functionality.

Also very quick run of peasyport. Alas my wife's work machine wasn't in use or I could have searched for samba port, but instead just looked for port 80 and local one was detected. Again needs others to test thoroughly but no issues apparent in my brief run.

Considering the versatile functionality of these small packages I think they would make a great addition to KLV-Airedale rockedge. Very impressive and efficient out of the box. Obviously all these rcrsn51 printer-related apps suit me personally very well since my printer is HP and his hplip package is so tiny compared to what I would normally otherwise have to install.

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

Just noticing again that the gufw firewall isn't persistent at reboot in RC-1

I'll try and apply the fix found here: viewtopic.php?p=74722#p74722

geo_c

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@geo_c I found something that might help fix the reoccurring Rox panel appearing at the desktop startup.

When a panel does appear at start on the desktop, in /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-Filer/panels there is a text entry default that should not be there. This file should be empty!

Now to find out how and why "default" is being written to the file.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@geo_c Looking at the Rox options window and comparing the F96-CE version and the KLV version and there is a difference!

They are not the same version and the KLV Rox options box is the top one in the screenshot. The panel (obsolete) field had "default" entered which when removed also removed the entry in the the panel file

Screenshot(4).jpg
Screenshot(4).jpg (80.42 KiB) Viewed 1726 times

I altered the KLV (top) options to check radio button pinboard and deleted the default entry.

Question remains why is this option page selections taking place and how to get the newer version in KLV.

wiak

Post by wiak »

rockedge wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:25 pm

@geo_c Looking at the Rox options window and comparing the F96-CE version and the KLV version and there is a difference!

They are not the same version and the KLV Rox options box is the top one in the screenshot. The panel (obsolete) field had "default" entered which when removed also removed the entry in the the panel file
I altered the KLV (top) options to check radio button pinboard and deleted the default entry.

Question remains why is this option page selections taking place and how to get the newer version in KLV.

Should be adding to your KLV To-do list...

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

Screenshot(4).jpg

Yes I've noticed that they aren't the same version, and I like the fossapup version better, because the KLV version doesn't seem to have the options to choose which details are included in list view. Fossapup's version has checkboxes for all the categories, permissions, size, etc...

Last edited by geo_c on Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

geo_c

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

hello @rockedge
Pay attention to the package builder "Create xbps package " . it seems to me that it does not work, out of three attempts to assemble the package, none of them were successful

replacing /usr/local/bin/dir2xbps
the program started working

Vanilla Dpup 9.2.X - KLV-Airedale - KLA-OT2
PUPPY LINUX Simple fast free

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

Sofiya wrote:

Which one did you use to replace the current version in KLV rc1?

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Sofiya wrote:

Pay attention to the package builder "Create xbps package " . it seems to me that it does not work, out of three attempts to assemble the package, none of them were successful

How exactly it does not work ? just tested on rc1 and works ok for me.

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

fredx181 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:55 pm
Sofiya wrote:

How exactly it does not work ? just tested on rc1 and works ok for me.

Attachments
Снимок экрана_2022-12-09_18-40-31.png
Снимок экрана_2022-12-09_18-40-31.png (24.29 KiB) Viewed 1599 times

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

Excuse my bad English :oops:
I have that version just translated into my language, but here is a slightly different version and I write the necessary values the wrong place
So everything works
Sorry one more time

Attachments
Снимок экрана_2022-12-09_19-23-19.png
Снимок экрана_2022-12-09_19-23-19.png (96.45 KiB) Viewed 1538 times
Last edited by Sofiya on Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “KLV-Airedale”