rockedge
Site Admin

KLV-Airedale-beta26 with Debian Kernel 6.0.0-4 SMP PREEMPT DYNAMIC

Post by rockedge »

KLV-Airedale-beta26
Kennel Linux Void Airedale Beta 26 630 MiB download size ->
KLV-Airedale-beta26
SHA1-MD5.txt

This is constructed from KLV-Airedale-beta24->beta25 and with a custom Debian kernel version 6.0.0-4 SMP PREEMPT DYNAMIC made with @fredx181's newest script that will create a Debian kernel for KLV. Has had a system wide upgrade. Uses an initrd.gz based on the FirstRib skeleton initrd.gz configured by the kernel/module creation script. Firmware SFS is from a woof-CE kernel-kit built huge 6.0.0-1-KLV kernel.

Also included is wiak's generate boot stanzas script. fredx181's mksplash has a menu entry and the remaster script is installed.

With the addition of a xfce4 desktop tiling configuration. A tip from @wiak for configuring Tiling windows done with the Super (Windows) key and an up, down, left, right, home, pgup, pgdown or end key.

gxmessage in the default rootfs.

save2flash has been expanded to handle persistence on FAT32 and NTFS partitions.
The mksplash GUI utility to create splash notification banners.

The latest initrd.gz brings vFat and NTFS formatted partition support to KLV, allowing persistence on NTFS/vFat systems as well as the usual /ext2/ext3/ext4 /swap support.

• included htop

• created a symlink /root/spot with the target /home/spot

• Auto login cleaned up.

• includes also the logout logic provided by fredx181 gives true mulit-user support.

• replaced loop.cfg to the most recent modifications.

• Debian kernel 6.0.0-3-KLV SMP PREEMPT DYNAMIC is used.

• added gtkhash

Plus the other important improvements contributed by the KLV team.

Added @fredx181's save2flash utility that can be used when KLV is started in RAM2 mode to perform session saves on demand for persistence.
This is similar to PUPMODE13 in Puppy Linux.

fredx181's swap partition enable script includes the latest revisions and also added are the packages

• mime-add-1.0_0.noarch.xbps

• edit-sfs-1.0_0.noarch.xbps

KLV-Airedale-beta25 is able to load squash SFS packages on the fly or during the boot sequence.
Squash files and ISO images can be opened from the file manager and the read the contents.

• can run with rootfs, 01fimware and 00module SFS files as uncompressed directories.

• Also able to load compressed and/or decompressed directories,
    once a 2 digit prefix is added to the file name.

• It is possible to mix using compressed squash files and uncompressed directories.

Also can be downloaded from https://rockedge.org/kernels in ISO->Kennel_Linux->Airedale

wiak

Re: KLV-Airedale-beta26 with Debian Kernel 6.0.0-4 SMP PREEMPT DYNAMIC

Post by wiak »

Currently investigating difference between firmware installed via official Void Linux repos (I have in directory firmware_void) and
the firmware provided by the Debian firmware (which I have in directory firmware_debian) per fredx181. May or may not be useful for simplistic cut-down firmware script attempts. As far as I know Puppy itself assembles its firmware at kernel build time via firmware downloads from kernel.org, but I can imagine being able to write a reasonably reliable diff-based script to cut-down the somewhat huge firmware provided by default if using official Void Linux.

The other factor which end up bloating KLV if using official Void kernel is that the individual modules are gz compressed (i.e. in form .ko.gz). Compress better overall if they are individually uncompressed (.ko rather than .ko.gz) and then whole lot compressed at end to 00modulesXXX.sfs if using external modules sfs or similarly if left in main rootfs uncompressed - not an issue with the initrd since the routines to select initrd modules needed to boot auto-uncompress them anyway:

Code: Select all

diff --brief -r firmware_void firmware_debian | grep -v differ | grep 'Only in firmware_void'
diff --brief -r firmware_void firmware_debian | grep -v differ | grep 'Only in firmware_debian'

Void packages firmware-linux:
linux-firmware 20220411 1 current 99M Binary firmware blobs for the Linux kernel
linux-firmware-amd 20220411 1 current 13M Binary firmware blobs for the Linux kernel - AMD CPU/GPU microcode
linux-firmware-broadcom 20220411 1 current 7M Binary firmware blobs for the Linux kernel - Broadcom network blobs
linux-firmware-dvb 20170329 5 current 8M Linux TV firmware package
linux-firmware-intel 20220411 1 current 3M Binary firmware blobs for the Linux kernel - Intel CPU/GPU microcode
linux-firmware-network 20220411 1 current 112M Binary firmware blobs for the Linux kernel - network
linux-firmware-nvidia 20220411 1 current 1M Binary firmware blobs for the Linux kernel NVIDIA GPU microcode
linux-firmware-qualcomm 20220411 1 current 18M Binary firmware blobs for the Linux kernel - Qualcomm SoC blobs

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

I installed beta26. But here's how I did it:

1) Booted into beta25, containing months of numbered upper_changes 50-68, all running smoothly

2) Updated the system using Octo-XBPS so that my upper_changes might be more congruent with the recently updated beta26 rootfs.

3) rebooted into fossa, renamed the current upper_changes 69upper_changes, and used the cp command to copy all my upper_changes 50-69 into my beta26 folder

4) booted into beta26, no problems booting, mostly working so far, typing from it now

But the first snag is that I fired up OctoXBPS just to see what it would do, and it gave me this message: "You can not run OctoXBPS with administrator's credentials."

So what's the fix for that? Is it what @rockedge posted earlier?

Last edited by geo_c on Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

wiak wrote:

Currently investigating difference between firmware installed via official Void Linux repos (I have in directory firmware_void) and
the firmware provided by the Debian firmware (which I have in directory firmware_debian) per fredx181.

Can you explain a little about how you get e.g. "directory firmware_debian" ?, can't remember btw that I was involved in some way with firmware in KLV.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@fredx181 you're not really, I am using the kernel made from your script cr-debkernel.sh but since the script doesn't deal with firmware I have to use a firmware sfs made during a puppy kernel-kit build of a 6.0.0 kernel. This combo works very well and is compact. KLV using the Void kernel is huge in size where the firmware is around 160 MiB

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

rockedge wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:20 pm

@fredx181 you're not really, I am using the kernel made from your script cr-debkernel.sh but since the script doesn't deal with firmware I have to use a firmware sfs made during a puppy kernel-kit build of a 6.0.0 kernel. This combo works very well and is compact. KLV using the Void kernel is huge in size where the firmware is around 160 MiB

Ah, thanks, I see now.
Another thing, did you find some way to be able to use kernel sources matching with the Debian kernel setup ?

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

fredx181 wrote:

did you find some way to be able to use kernel sources matching with the Debian kernel setup ?

I am getting ready a kernel-kit run with the Debian kernel configuration as it came from the cr-debkernel.sh script build for KLV-Airedale. Really excited to see how it comes out!

Will make one version with no AUFS and the another version with both AUFS + OverlayFS

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

geo_c wrote:

So what's the fix for that? Is it what @rockedge posted earlier?

Copy the /usr/share/applications/octoxbps.desktop to /root/.local/share/applications/octoxbps.desktop

Modify /root/.local/share/applications/octoxbps.desktop by changing the Exec=/usr/bin/octoxbps line to Exec=sudo -u spot /usr/bin/octoxbps

@fredx181 The Debian config build is been running 4 cores full speed ahead for about 25 minutes so far...and still going (a good sign).....

UPDATE: build failed.

Return to “KLV-Airedale”