rockedge
Site Admin

KLV-Airedale-beta24 with Debian Kernel 6.0.0-KLV SMP PREEMT DYNAMIC

Post by rockedge »

KLV-Airedale-beta24
Kennel Linux Void Airedale Beta 24 611 MiB download size ->
KLV-Airedale-beta24
SHA1-MD5.txt

This is constructed from KLV-Airedale-beta20.4 and with a custom Debian kernel version 6.0.0_2 SMP PREEMPT DYNAMIC
Uses an initrd.gz built from the kernel/module creation script programmed by @fredx181

Firmware SFS is from a woof-CE kernel-kit built huge 6.0.0-KLV kernel.

With the addition of a xfce4 desktop tiling configuration. A tip from @wiak for configuring Tiling windows done with the Super (Windows) key and an up, down, left, right, home, pgup, pgdown or end key.

gxmessage in the default rootfs.

save2flash has been expanded to handle persistence on FAT32 and NTFS partitions.
The mksplash GUI utility to create splash notification banners.

The latest initrd.gz brings vFat and NTFS formatted partition support to KLV, allowing persistence on NTFS/vFat systems as well as the usual /ext2/ext3/ext4 /swap support.

• included htop

• created a symlink /root/spot with the target /home/spot

• Auto login cleaned up.

• includes also the logout logic provided by fredx181 gives true mulit-user support.

• replaced loop.cfg to the most recent modifications.

• kernel 6.0.0-KLV (overlayfs built in and no AUFS) is used.

• added gtkhash

Plus the other important improvements contributed by the KLV team.

Added @fredx181's save2flash utility that can be used when KLV is started in RAM2 mode to perform session saves on demand for persistence.
This is similar to PUPMODE13 in Puppy Linux.

fredx181's swap partition enable script includes the latest revisions and also added are the packages

• mime-add-1.0_0.noarch.xbps

• edit-sfs-1.0_0.noarch.xbps

KLV-Airedale-beta21 is able to load squash SFS packages on the fly or during the boot sequence.
Squash files and ISO images can be opened from the file manager and the read the contents.

• can run with rootfs, 01fimware and 00module SFS files as uncompressed directories.

• Also able to load compressed and/or decompressed directories,
    once a 2 digit prefix is added to the file name.

• It is possible to mix using compressed squash files and uncompressed directories.

Also can be downloaded from https://rockedge.org/kernels in ISO->Kennel_Linux->Airedale

Clarity

Re: KLV-Airedale-beta24 with Debian Kernel 6.0.0-KLV SMP PREEMT DYNAMIC

Post by Clarity »

Help requested. Installed BTOP from OctoXBPS

Code: Select all

root# btop   
ERROR: No UTF-8 locale detected!
Use --utf-force argument to force start if you're sure your terminal can handle it.

The terminal's character-set is not sufficient to display.

What can I do?

Thanks in advance for guidance.

Details

• Booted via SG2D selecting RAM0 for desktop testing.

• Received a number of unexpected errors messages o nboot but desktop appears to be running swiftly and without issues until this in the terminal.

• SAMBA and SMBclient utils, installed; required to make this distro equivalent to FossaPUP64 and Slacko64, "out-of-the-box" (OOTB) subsystems.

• Chromium, and QEMU are also added for obvious reasons

Last edited by Clarity on Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:54 pm, edited 4 times in total.
wiak

Post by wiak »

Please find attached a little FirstRib-based distro grub config helper utility (extracted from previous weedogit script) you might want to include in this KLV.

# ./wd_grubconfig --help
Run this script from your FirstRib distro installation directory with command:
  ./wd_grubconfig

The utility automatically produces hopefully system-correct (UUID and LABEL) information like:

Assuming names: kernel is vmlinuz and initrd is initrd.gz and booting is
from this build directory and needed modules and firmware are present:

#####menu.lst (note the LABEL or UUID options below):
title WDL_klv
  find --set-root --ignore-floppies /WDL_klv/grub_config.txt
  kernel /WDL_klv/vmlinuz w_bootfrom=LABEL=frugals=/WDL_klv w_changes=RAM2
  initrd /WDL_klv/initrd.gz
#############################OR uuid method:
title WDL_klv
  find --set-root uuid () 424d8f42-e835-4111-9053-dd086b3d38e8
  kernel /WDL_klv/vmlinuz w_bootfrom=UUID=424d8f42-e835-4111-9053-dd086b3d38e8=/WDL_klv w_changes=RAM2

#####grub.cfg (note the UUID or LABEL options below):
menuentry "WDL_klv" {
  insmod ext2
  search --no-floppy --label frugals --set
  linux /WDL_klv/vmlinuz w_bootfrom=LABEL=frugals=/WDL_klv w_changes=RAM2
}
#############################OR uuid method:
menuentry "WDL_klv" {
  insmod ext2
  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 424d8f42-e835-4111-9053-dd086b3d38e8
  linux /WDL_klv/vmlinuz w_bootfrom=UUID=424d8f42-e835-4111-9053-dd086b3d38e8=/WDL_klv w_changes=RAM2
}

Refer to /media/mcewanw/frugals/WDL_klv/grub_config.txt for
copy of this information plus blkid info.
Note that you can remove w_changes=RAM2 if you don't want
save session on demand mode.
Attachments
wd_grubconfig.tar
remove dummy tar, chmod +x, and run from KLV install directory
(2.16 KiB) Downloaded 30 times

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

Clarity wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:25 am

Help requested. Installed BTOP from OctoXBPS

root# btop   
ERROR: No UTF-8 locale detected!
Use --utf-force argument to force start if you're sure your terminal can handle it.

The terminal's character-set is not sufficient to display.

What can I do?

Thanks in advance for guidance.

Add to /etc/environment
LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8
LANG=en_US.UTF-8

reboot with saving or exit the session and log in again

Vanilla Dpup 9.2.X - KLV-Airedale - KLA-OT2
PUPPY LINUX Simple fast free

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Thanks @Sofiya This added terminal command gives VERY visually meaningful information beyond HTOP/TOP.

Added2Environment.jpg
Added2Environment.jpg (18.13 KiB) Viewed 1211 times
KLVwithBTOP.jpg
KLVwithBTOP.jpg (96.18 KiB) Viewed 1211 times

THANKS, again for your guidance

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

This distro has been smooth as butter over the past 2 days. ITS AMAZING in the progress this has come to be. And the contributions and cooperation, here, is also noteworthy!

Maybe these environment variables could be a part of the future maturity of KLV as I dont see a negative by its inclusion.

BTW: Notice BTOP size with it adding no more impact than seen from HTOP with more at-a-glance info for the user/developer.

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

Clarity wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:41 pm

This distro has been smooth as butter over the past 2 days. ITS AMAZING in the progress this has come to be. And the contributions and cooperation, here, is also noteworthy!
BTW: Notice BTOP size with it adding no more impact than seen from HTOP with more at-a-glance info for the user/developer.

I've used this system for the past two weeks to do several hours of zoom music lessons, I've got it loaded up with applications and functioning as well as my refined fossapup. KLV uses about 3/4 the RAM of fossa , and is faster and better looking.

As a puppy user I've grown accustomed to JWM, but Xfce is a lot cleaner and everything about this OS feels and looks slick, a "mainstream" OS in terms of professional appeal, look & feel, and the ability to update the system and it's applications. All while being portable and low resource. I'm thinking it should run on my single CPU toshiba netbook, with 2GB of RAM better than fossa. That'll be the next install.

And btop is great! Like a cross between conky and htop.

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Personally, if conky is added, this is a developer's (and user's) dream system with visual detailed information of the system's behavior..

Oh as for an OOTB replacement for my 2 year old FossaPup64 that was upgraded with some multimedia beautification by @ETP, I am considering this to be my replacement...same as you @geo_c

For the past couple of years, FossaPUP64 has been this WoofCE community's Gold standard. This distro threatens to dethrone it.

I am awaiting the RC which I believe will contain SAMBA OOTB to reducing, further, any need for tailoring the OOTB experience any user would want. I am hopeful @01micko's SSM (SAMBA utility) will be included (as I see @peebee has done so in his VoidPup64). With this single subsystem addition, this disto becomes a total replacement for FossaPUP64 in ability, OOTB.

Looking forward to the continued maturity occurring.

Thanks to all contributing to information necessary for this distros stability and performance needs. Our observations are important to a polished, easy to use production.

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

I haven't used Thunar a lot except when it's opened as the default mananger, and I noticed the trash folder and decided to check it. I had 8540 files, so used the "empty trash" option, and it was going egregiously slow, after 5-10 minutes it was still at 0.92% of the delete job. So I canceled it, fired up Xfe and deleted the .trash folder instantaneously. Not sure why Thunar was taking so long. Maybe it has something to do with the layers of upper_changes?

I still use a combination of rox and xfe, but thunar is nice, just not as useable in my workflow as the other two.

As a far as xfe goes, I spent a day making my own complete set of xfe icons, the whole thing, both system and file icons, and they match my posted monochrome pup standard icon sets. I have xfe color schemes to match the gtk themes and icons.

My next theme task is converting a few sets of complete gnome/xfce icon sets to png, to share across distros, pups in particular.

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@wiak not that long ago there was some experimentation with pup_volume_monitor in KLV-Airedale which was actually really useful.

I am going to track down those posts and again play around with it. Look at possibly adjusting it to meld into KLV in a more complete way.

Grub2config or similar also needs to be brought into a working condition. The addition of it will round out the ability right from a running in RAM0 or RAM2 mode to set up partitions and drives to boot. Especially in QEMU or VirtualBox machines this feature would be very useful along side GParted

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Hello @fredx181 , should 'ds.tar" package run without issues in KLV? Should it be a Menu item?

wiak

Post by wiak »

geo_c wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 1:22 am

I haven't used Thunar a lot except when it's opened as the default mananger, and I noticed the trash folder and decided to check it. I had 8540 files, so used the "empty trash" option, and it was going egregiously slow, after 5-10 minutes it was still at 0.92% of the delete job. So I canceled it, fired up Xfe and deleted the .trash folder instantaneously. Not sure why Thunar was taking so long. Maybe it has something to do with the layers of upper_changes?

I have noticed thunar having trouble deleting the trash folder. Can't see that upper_changes would have anything to do with it - all programs see the merged system in the same way. Difficult to pin down since I believe trash working fine most of the time (maybe when cleared regularly, but I can't confirm one way or the other at the moment). It is an odd one - I also usually end up deleting it by some other program or commandline. I certainly don't have that problem with my Zorin install, which also uses xfce and thunar.

EDIT: Came across discussion about similar (but ancient 2007) problem on Arch Linux BBS, but nothing of much help I'm afraid: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=37110

DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

This looks like a possible answer ->

After some investigations and browsing I got the answer.

1) Thunar assumes moving to trash and never copying - it means that your file to be trashed (FTBT) and the trash directory has to be on the same filesystem.

2) If your FTBT is in your home directory, then Thunar will try to move it to ~/.local/share/Trash. In case the folder is on another partition the operation will fail.

3) If your FTBT is on some other filesystem (other partition, disk or nfs mount) Thunar will try to create .Trash-$UID folder in the filesystem top folder. You may have no permissions for that and the operation fails.

Lets assume you have second disk mounted in the /disk2 directory:

$ ls -ld /disk2
drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4096 [some date] /disk2

And you have UID 1000:

$ echo $UID

Then create a directory for your trash:

$ sudo mkdir /disk2/.Trash-1000
$ sudo chown 1000 /disk2/.Trash-1000
$ chmod og-rwx /disk2/.Trash-1000

Thunar should do the rest (subdirectory structure) and your trash should work.

https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... using-xfce

I have also seen solutions where users are replacing the Empty Trash function with a right-click action that deletes the contents of the trash directory.
http://blogs.dailynews.com/click/2013/0 ... e-manager/

wiak

Post by wiak »

rockedge wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 1:46 am

Uses an initrd.gz built from the kernel/module creation script programmed by @fredx181

I've been looking again at the Thomas M parent overall original (initramfs_create) of the "copying required modules part of" cr-debkernel script as part of my work on new build_wiak_initrd.sh script, which is optionally run after build_firstrib_rootfs.sh to complete the overall FirstRib build.

https://github.com/Tomas-M/linux-live/b ... mfs_create

I've decided it makes sense for build_wiak_initrd.sh script to call his initramfs_create script (or very minor fork) at least as an option. The skeleton version on the initrd doesn't itself need the modules embedded at all but many builds will benefit from their inclusion by this method. A minor issue is that Thomas's initramfs_create (and all linux-live) scripts are published under GPL2 whereas FirstRib scripts are all MIT, but I believe calling it as an external GPL2-licensed script is okay. Honestly, this GPL license is a pain to me - wish everyone in open-source would just adopt MIT or similar less-restrictive licensing; I get its point, but just a nuisance in practice at times like this. Really main reason I am trying it out right now is for my newest FirstRib Arch64 Openbox/Tint2 build with which I usually tend to prefer using official Arch kernel, however I'll keep other distro-types in mind when it comes to the build_wiak_initrd.sh build script of course.

NOTE WELL: On looking at newest version of Thomas's initramfs_create script I note that the version being used with KLV seems to have missed out:

copy_including_deps /$LMK/kernel/fs/ntfs3

That is needed also in KLV builds since the FirstRib initrd-latest used ntfs3 module for savefiles being used with ntfs partitions.

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

wiak wrote:

NOTE WELL: On looking at newest version of Thomas's initramfs_create script I note that the version being used with KLV seems to have missed out:

copy_including_deps /$LMK/kernel/fs/ntfs3

That is needed also in KLV builds since the FirstRib initrd-latest used ntfs3 module for savefiles being used with ntfs partitions.

Thanks, cr-debkernel script updated with that change, here: https://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic. ... 909#p69909

Last edited by fredx181 on Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Clarity wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:52 pm

Hello @fredx181 , should 'ds.tar" package run without issues in KLV? Should it be a Menu item?

Probably I missed something. What is that about ?

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Opps @fredx181! That should NOT have been directed at you. It is something that I tested in KLV and had an issue.

I wish I could reach back in time and have a "do-ver" as that problem surfaces from a component from @smokey01 here. If I could reach back, I would NOT have gotten the 2 of you mixed-up in my hazy mind. Besides you 2 don't even look alike (smile) :lol:

My apologies for my ineptitude! In my haze, I somehow conflated Smokey01 with this thread's project

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

No problem @Clarity ;)

@rockedge I think that I shared earlier in one of the threads edit-sfs package, anyway here's new version with just one small change that it gives splash message "Please wait..." when using edit-sfs (can take a long time unsquashing SFS).
Originally this edit-sfs script (to modify contents of a SFS) is by old puppy forum member "Pizzagood" but I modified a little. Installing it will create Thunar right-click actions "Edit SFS" and 'Convert SFS' (the latter for to convert .sfs to another compression type, e.g. LZ4).

edit-sfs-1.1_0.noarch.xbps
(7.16 KiB) Downloaded 23 times

Return to “KLV-Airedale”