Could someone help me install / switch over to pulse audio please

Moderators: 666philb, Forum moderators

PunchyMchurtyfist

Could someone help me install / switch over to pulse audio please

Post by PunchyMchurtyfist »

I love Puppy but the default audio plugin in horrible, could someone please help me enable pulse audio instead please

bigpup

Re: Could someone help me install / switch over to pulse audio please

Post by bigpup »

Your best option is to use a Puppy version that is using pulse audio by default.

BookwormPup64

F96-CE_4

Pulseaudio will automatically detect your audio output devices, including standard hardware devices and virtual devices such as pulseaudio-equalizer-ladspa. When there are multiple output devices (including virtual devices), pulseaudio will have no knowledge of your preferred (default) output device unless you select and save that information to the pulseaudio configuration file (/root/.config/pulse/default.pa).

Specifically, when booting or rebooting in an environment with multiple audio devices, pulseaudio reads the configuration file (if available) and restores the prior saved audio settings. If the configuration file does not stipulate a default audio device and volume level, then your preferred audio device and sound volume may not restore to your expectations.

Plus these Puppy versions have updates and features that Fossapup64 9.5 will never have.

Last edited by bigpup on Wed Aug 02, 2023 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: spelling correction

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

Let me second @bigpup's opinion on this.

I used fossapup64_9.5 until F96_CE4 was finished. F96 comes with better network manger, pulse audio, and several other nice upgrades. It contains the latest of all the utilities that are present in the 64_9.5.

F96 is worth the effort to make the cutover.

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

Geek3579

Post by Geek3579 »

geo_c wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:58 am

Let me second @bigpup's opinion on this.

I used fossapup64_9.5 until F96_CE4 was finished. F96 comes with better network manger, pulse audio, and several other nice upgrades. It contains the latest of all the utilities that are present in the 64_9.5.

F96 is worth the effort to make the cutover.

I would agree with @geo_c, except that I am waiting for an LXDE or similar ydrv for F96.

However, I have used pulseaudio with fossapup64 for some months now with minimal issues. There is a post on this on the Forum somewhere. Too late at night to hunt for it, sorry.

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Ditto what's been written previously. As between F96 and BookwormPup64 it's a toss-up. You can't use your current Save or Fossapup's adrv/ydrv in either. BookwormPup64 is shaping up to be a really nice Puppy and will be maintainable for several years more than F96. But it doesn't use SFSes the way we're accustomed. The workarounds -use portables, AppImages or apt/synaptic to install more programs-- are adequate. And perhaps most important to your concern, my impression is that its pulse-audio works better.

F96, on the other hand, is a newer build of Fossapup: except for its employment of Pulse-audio and that continued employment of Puppy's traditional Wifi-managers is optional, you'll be used to everything.

Before transitioning, I'd suggest that you open Fossapup's Puppy Package Manager click Uninstall and take screenshots of what you installed. You can also copy the /var/packages folder somewhere. These may help you remember what ran under Fossapup64. Similarly, copy any unique graphics (wallpaper, pixmaps) in Fossapup if you want to use them in your new Puppy.

Return to “Fossapup64”