sfs_load problem

Moderators: 666philb, Forum moderators

bw_mzee

sfs_load problem

Post by bw_mzee »

Hi,
I'm trying to load a homemade firefox.sfs. In the /initrd/pup_roX/root there is the /.mozilla dir from the sfs, but in the main /root dir there is nothing. (With a similar thunderbird.sfs the /root/.thunderbird dir is shown correctly.) Any tips, how can I solve this problem, or even diagnostize de cause?
Regards: Wakume

amethyst

Re: sfs_load problem

Post by amethyst »

Restart Xserver and see if you can see it then. I've seen this behaviour before. Make sure you can see hidden files.

bw_mzee

Post by bw_mzee »

Restart Xserver and see if you can see it then. I've seen this behaviour before. Make sure you can see hidden files.

Thanks, I tried these, but they didn't win. However, it seems that I have solved the problem. There were a file in the fossapup64save.2fs /root dir, named .wh..mozilla, that was not seen in the system's main /root dir. Since I had this operated out of the /initrd/pup_ro1/root dir, everything works fine. Do you know, what is this file, and how can I remove it through a "legal" way?

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

bw_mzee wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 9:09 am

Thanks, I tried these, but they didn't win. However, it seems that I have solved the problem. There were a file in the fossapup64save.2fs /root dir, named .wh..mozilla, that was not seen in the system's main /root dir. Since I had this operated out of the /initrd/pup_ro1/root dir, everything works fine. Do you know, what is this file, and how can I remove it through a "legal" way?

Yes, it is called a white-out file. This happens when you "delete" a file/folder from the filesystem which is archived in an sfs and which is read-only. What happens is that the "deleted" file/folder is not really physically deleted but only masked (hidden) so that you can not see them (these are marked with the .wh extension). You can "delete" files of an sfs as shown elsewhere in the filesystem for the session but not from /initrd as the latter is read-only. If you are running with a save file/folder, you can delete the white-out file.

Return to “Fossapup64”