Seeking installation guide

Moderators: 666philb, Forum moderators

oliverjames

Seeking installation guide

Post by oliverjames »

I've been searching here and on the Web but to date have not found a guide for installing Fossapup64. I've frugal installations of Bionicpup64 and Zenialpup64 in folders with their respective save files on sda6. The Fossapup save utility gives options for frugal install uefi and no uefi but I've not figured out which to use, or how.

I'm trying this latest Puppy on a desktop whose motherboard BIOS is MS tuned and hence very Linux unfriendly. I've tried installing Mint xfce 20 but getting it to boot is a lottery, problems with ahci or apic it seems. I did get ML20 to boot a couple of times with BIOS set to legacy rom although the installer did put boot info in the sda1 Fat32 boot partition (msdos system).

Any help would be much appreciated.
thinkpadfreak

Re: Seeking installation guide

Post by thinkpadfreak »

oliverjames wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:04 am I've frugal installations of Bionicpup64 and Zenialpup64 in folders with their respective save files on sda6.
There is a way of manual installation. You can do this on Bionicpup64 or Xenialpup64.
It can not be recommended to all people, I am afraid.

1. Create a new folder on sda6 and copy the contents of fossapup64 ISO into the folder.
(You can display the contents of an ISO file by clicking on it. The necessary files are vmlinuz, initrd.gz and *.sfs.)
2. Manually edit the boot menu.

What is the boot loader of puppies?
In case of grub4dos, there will be the file menu.lst.
In case of grub2, there will be the file grub.cfg.

You will be able to study the content of one of these files and add a new entry after the entries which already exist.

Return to “Fossapup64”