Probs with browsers in Fossapup

Moderators: 666philb, Forum moderators

Knightmare

Probs with browsers in Fossapup

Post by Knightmare »

Hi just installed fossapup on a dell laptop
its very nice, just a few glitches with browsers:

I installed chromium from the package manager - it signs me out of google for some reason
firefox- it has no sound
seamonkey - works but a bit slow

is it possible to install opera?

Amol

Re: browser probs

Post by Amol »

Hello Knightmare !
For sound in firefox see here: viewtopic.php?t=8344
Amol

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Hello, Knightmare, and :welcome:

I/we could provide specific instructions for solving each of the chromium and firefox problems. Seamonkey will always likely be slow. But there's an easier solution. Uninstall the Chromium web-browser. If you used Puppy Package Manager or Quickpet to install it it is likely an old version.
Look in the Additional Software > Browsers and Internet Section of the Forum. https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewforum.php?f=90. There you'll find MikeWalsh's portable builds of many Web-browsers including firefox, seamonkey and opera. Read the instructions for their deployment. They are not installed. They are unpacked, the unpacked folder moved anywhere and run from there. /mnt/home is a good location for conserving RAM; /opt if you want to run your Puppy entirely in RAM. All are 'self-contained': settings, customizations, addons and --importantly-- web-cache located in their respective folders. Most can be upgraded as and when necessary: Firefox and Seamonkey easily.

There you'll also find peebee's build of Chromium as an SFS, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 2328#p2328. SFSes are also not installed. They are SFS-Loadedloaded and unloaded (via Right-Click or from the Menu) as and when desired. When a Save is executed their current condition is preserved on shutdown/reboot.

FYI, Brave Browser is now highly rated for security by the Slant community. MikeWalsh's portable may be the fastest web-browser in operation offered; slightly slow to start. I've had my doubts about Opera since Mainland China acquired a major stack in it. Vivaldi --also very fast in operation-- was forked from Opera when it ceased to build it's own, unique web-engine. Vivaldi is published by former employees of Opera. You'll also find Ungoogled-Chromium, created from Chromium but stripped of all 'call home to google features'. Personally for Fossapup64_9.5 I like Iron; almost indistinguishable from Ungoogle-Chromium in its build, but easier to install addons. With addons it can have the 'look-and-feel' of the 'old opera'. Not recommended for F96_9.6 which --unlike Fossapup64_9.5-- employs pulse-audio.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Hallo, Knightmare. And :welcome: to the "kennels"!

Opera's a piece of cake. We've developed a whole range of 'portable' browsers and other apps, which are designed to run from OUTSIDE the 'save-file' or 'save-folder'.....and therefore keep the browser cache from filling up the RAM that Puppy runs in during its session.

If you'd like to take a look, and try it out for yourself, you can find the link for it here:-

viewtopic.php?t=5104

After navigating to the Opera-portable thread, you'll find the download link at the bottom of the first post, as always. Let us know how you get on with it, if you decide to try it out.

(EDIT:- Looks like t'other Mike and I "crossed posts"!)

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

tosim

Post by tosim »

@Knightmare
You most definitely can run Opera with FossaPup64; I do. .

Knightmare

Post by Knightmare »

Thanks all, for the warm welcome.
I had to install the SFS of chromium because the portable apps were at that mega.co. site
unfortunately it doesnt allow seamonkey because it thinks it is an old browser.

pp4mnklinux

Opera-portable - New release : v97.0.4719.63

Post by pp4mnklinux »

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JDSCBP ... share_link

JUST IN CASE.

Hosted at Google Drive.

Free acces with the link

~

F96CE_XFCE_FUSILLI ====> https://puppyxfcefusilli.wordpress.com/

Knightmare

Re: Probs with browsers in Fossapup

Post by Knightmare »

Thanks 👍🏻
There's a lot of useful stuff there

bigpup

Re: Probs with browsers in Fossapup

Post by bigpup »

Welcome to Linux software :roll: :welcome:

This is info you need to know:
Installing additional software
viewtopic.php?t=1819

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

Return to “Fossapup64”