Fossapup64 9.5 freezing using mplayer or mpv to play videos (32bit Puppy versions seem to work better)

Moderators: 666philb, Forum moderators

Jeff-X

Fossapup64 9.5 freezing using mplayer or mpv to play videos (32bit Puppy versions seem to work better)

Post by Jeff-X »

Hi bigpup, Barrowman and others...
I am very interested in trying to get 32-bit Xenial working on a quite new Lenovo 64-bit laptop.
Back when I bought this laptop around August of 2020 there was NO current pup that would run on it.
I had to use the easy-os. It had new enough kernel I'm guessing? So then when Fossapup was released in September 2020 I installed and it has been pretty great. However, it freezes and becomes unresponsive ever once in a while when playing a playlist of videos in mplayer or mpv. It takes a long time of playing the videos but for some unknown reason it does eventually freak out on me.
On Xenialpup 32-bit this never happens even on a much older smaller machine.
Other than this issue, I love Fossapup, bit it's kind of a deal breaker, as I do play these playlists and it is going to freak out.
In case you're wondering why I'm not asking about the 64-bit Xenial, imho it is no where as solid as the 32-bit build. I've tried the 64-xenial more than once but I always have to come back to the 32-bit build even when using a 64 cpu.
So, simple question, can I replace the kernel in Xenialpup 32-bit with a newer kernel so it will run the hardware on my 2020 Lenovo?
Thanks!

...Found this post searching the forum for an answer but seems nobody else has created the Franken-Xenial-32-Stein yet...

Last edited by bigpup on Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: corrected tpoic subject
bigpup

Re: Fossapup64 9.5 videos freezing using mplayer or mpv (32bit Puppy versions seem to work better)

Post by bigpup »

fossapup64 has the program Quickpet (icon on desktop)

Have you done this?

Quickpet -> Info -> Fossapup updates

After it installs the updates.

Reboot computer, making sure to update the save, so now it is running using the updates.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

Jeff-X

Re: Fossapup64 9.5 videos freezing using mplayer or mpv (32bit Puppy versions seem to work better)

Post by Jeff-X »

Hiya bigpup. Your re-titling of my post is incorrect however. I meant what I wrote. The entire OS freezes and becomes unresponsive after playing low-fi videos for a few hours.
You see, the video continues to play just fine. Your title says the videos freeze. Untrue. You can't click anything or even shut down, as Fossapup becomes completely "unresponsive".
It's not just the video freezing as you assumed bigpup.
...but thanks for the attention and the quick response!
To your question, yes, I know about quickpet and the updates. We're all up to date on the fixes.
Can we get back to my actual question now that belongs where I posted it though?
Using a newer kernel with old Xenial 32? Would this make Xenialpup 32-bit compatible with a new computer in theory? If so, would you kindly point me to such a kernel or a clue please? Thank you very much!

Hope you are doing well my friend and thanks again :D

Last edited by Jeff-X on Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

Yes it is possible to switch to a newer kernel in Xenial.

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

@Jeff-X

Have a look here:

viewtopic.php?t=317

I looked at the 1st post in the Xenial forum and it states that your using kernel 4.4.95

If your looking a swapping over the existing kernel for a new updated one, make sure it is Ubuntu based.

If you have a bit of patience and the bandwidth try them out.

They are a mixture of kernel 5.xxx and the latest 6.xx builds.

Good luck :thumbup:

Jeff-X

Post by Jeff-X »

Thanks Jasper!
Yes thanks to you, bigpup for instructions and 01micko for creating change-kernels, this looks pretty straight forward and simple to do.
Therefore it seems MY issue will be that I can't get puppy to work to begin with in order to run this program from within the operating system.
So for my scenario, what I would need to do would be to edit the ISO, replacing the kernel in the ISO.
I didn't see any instructions in this regard however.
Thoughts anyone?

Thanks again Jasper :thumbup:

l

Jeff-X

Post by Jeff-X »

Having said that, I'll poke around with the program and see which files it replaces in a running OS and then simply open an ISO and try to do the same exact thing manually? Think that'll work anybody?

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

@Jeff-X

Instead of typing in too many instructions and potentially making it nonsensical, I have decided to use pics instead :lol:

As an example

6.0.13 64bit kernel aufs/overlayfs - ozsouth

viewtopic.php?t=7589

Download only 2 files highlighted (no need for Kernel Sources) ........... being too lazy to edit the pics :oops:

• Ubuntu derivative kernel

• New fdrv

You should have the "Huge" folder which you should extract.

Inside are 2 files

• Kernel modules

• Vmlinuz

Now all you have to do is rename the files to match the existing files.

Each coloured box represents the files to be changed.

Jeff-X

Post by Jeff-X »

Wow Jasper. Many thanks. You just saved me a ton of time figuring this out the hard way.
Thank you SO much :D

I'll check in and letcha know how this turns out my friend.
Many thanks!

Jeff-X

Re: Fossapup64 9.5 freezing using mplayer or mpv to play videos (32bit Puppy versions seem to work better)

Post by Jeff-X »

So far, no good. Although I'm not sure if it's not just the boot method I need to conquer now, that xenialpup uses vs the method fossapup uses. A whole separate issue/rabbit hole for me to research. Enough time spent on it for now. I'll update on success/failures. Anyway, thanks again everyone ;)

bigpup

Re: Fossapup64 9.5 freezing using mplayer or mpv to play videos (32bit Puppy versions seem to work better)

Post by bigpup »

I think the issue using Fossapup64 is with the video players you are using.

they are not releasing RAM when it is no longer needed.

MPV had this issue and it has been worked on to try and fix it in newer versions.

In Fossapup64

In a terminal enter this command:

Code: Select all

mpv -version

If it says v32

Install this pet and see if it helps any.
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... x86_64.pet

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

Jeff-X

Post by Jeff-X »

Good thought bigpup...

root# mpv -version
mpv 0.33.0 Copyright © 2000-2020 mpv/MPlayer/mplayer2 projects
built on Thu Nov 26 06:59:44 UTC 2020
FFmpeg library versions:
libavutil 56.60.100
libavcodec 58.112.103
libavformat 58.64.100
libswscale 5.8.100
libavfilter 7.90.100
libswresample 3.8.100
FFmpeg version: git-2020-11-22-9208b72

Looks like I have the version you are suggesting.
Thanks though. I thought the same thing about the memory issue.
Odd thing about that though bigpup, I'm running the same mpv on xenialpup on an old ass desktop computer and I can run these videos all week long as long as it's the only thing running. Sure it's hard on the cpu, so I don't wanna do it and cook the capacitors and stuff... I'd rather use this newer laptop with fossapup but funny thing is, the old guy with 32-bit Xenial is way more stable, which in all my experience with various puppys, is always the case. Xenialpup 32-bit is the most dependable.
So, I thought wouldn't it be cool if I could find a way to get xenial working on the new guy.
That's what I'm talking about.
Thanks again man! :thumbup:

Return to “Fossapup64”