regarding fresh install/deleting savefile (Solved)

Moderators: 666philb, Forum moderators

boof

regarding fresh install/deleting savefile (Solved)

Post by boof »

i've been dabbling with a crypto scammer, and I fear malware etc. I hope I can keep them out just by removing the savefile and starting clean.

how do I rescue my logins and bookmarks in firefox? if it's just use sync with another firefox/chrome, that's easy.

Jasper

Re: regarding fresh install/deletig savefile

Post by Jasper »

If you look at your BOOKMARKS tab in your browser you should see an option that says Organise/Organize. That should allow you choose the option to Backup & Restore.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Just to add.

When you make the bookmarks backup file, make sure to place it outside of the save, another drive if possible.
/mnt/home is outside of the save but still on the same drive the Fossapup64 install is on.

Using the restore option will let you select and use this file you made.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

boof

Post by boof »

thanks, all sorted. Imported bokkmarks.html and sync'd firefox between computer and phone, and back again. was easier than I thought.

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

boof wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:36 am

i've been dabbling with a crypto scamer, and I fear malware etc. I hope I can keep them out just by removing the savefile and starting clean.

I'm no expert on security, but a few simple principles apply.

If someone was able to install something outside the savefile, on the hard drive for instance, or anywhere that initiates at boot time, then deleting the save won't fix that. Probably unlikely that something like that happened, but there are tricky hackers out there. If there's only malware in the savefile then deleting the save should eliminate it.

With that in mind it's good practice to backup your pupsaves periodically, usually before making major changes to the system, and after your new changes are working successfully. That way in the event of pupsave corruption, just delete the corrupted save and boot into a backup. It's one of the coolest features of puppy.

Also, I think if you are worried about expert hacking, then examining and possibly changing your network router settings might be appropriate.

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

Enzo34

Post by Enzo34 »

boof wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:36 am

i've been dabbling with a crypto scamer, and I fear malware etc. I hope I can keep them out just by removing the savefile and starting clean.

how do I rescue my logins and bookmarks in firefox? if it's just use sync with another firefox/chrome, that's easy.

Hello,

Sorry to hear that. It's important to be cautious and take the necessary steps to protect your digital assets. As for your question about retrieving your login and bookmarks in Firefox, one option might be to use a cloud-based sync service like Firefox Sync, which can sync your data across different devices and browsers. This can be a convenient way to keep your bookmarks and login information safe and accessible. However, it should be noted that cloud-based sync services can still be vulnerable to security threats. One potential solution to consider is the use of NFTs to secure your digital assets. NFTs can provide a unique and traceable digital identity for your assets, making them more secure and harder to compromise. This is an interesting technology worth exploring if you want to strengthen the security of your digital assets.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
My website : https://www.nft360.org/

Last edited by Enzo34 on Fri Apr 07, 2023 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Once you've rebuilt you system, you may want to
(a) rename adrv_fossapup64_9.5.sfs to ydrv_fossapup64_9.5.sfs
(b) use nicOS-Utility-Suite's Save2SFS to capture your additions and settings and customizations in an adrv: adrvs have priority over ydrvs
(c) delete your SaveFile/Folder and
(d) boot Pupmode 13: boot menu.lst/grub.cfg has pmedia=ataflash argument and pfix=ram. Menu>system>Puppy Event Manager>Save Session interval set to 0/zero with check mark in 'ask at shutdown.

So set up everything 'runs in ram', your system employs only READ-ONLY files and on shutdown/reboot RAM is cleared. You always reboot into a pristine environment.

You may want to have two menu listings: (1) as above for securely using the web when needed; (2) the other employing a SaveFile/Folder for casual work.

If I were malicious, I'd want some way to compromise book-marks/login data. If you've been compromised you'll want to change all your passwords anyway.

I don't know to what extent book-marks, themselves, may be compromised nor what to do about them if they are. Copying compromised bookmarks into a system would result in a compromised system. I keep very few book-marks. For those web-sites where I want to log-in I keep a list on an external file (encryption optional): open, just copy/paste what I need into login window, close file, press return on login window.

Having copied login details to a text file, and changed passwords, it maybe safe to again copy/store them in a web-browser. Big maybe.

For financial sites I'd consider 2-factor authentication and/or VPN.
About VPN see wiak's post, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 544#p85544 Wireguard is a reputable VPN provider which offers some free servers. So does protonvpn. There are post about setting both up under fossapup64.

Return to “Fossapup64”