Building Pup using Woof-CE fails every time with a not found error

Moderators: 666philb, Forum moderators

socr8es

Building Pup using Woof-CE fails every time with a not found error

Post by socr8es »

Hi, I am new to the Pup scene. I just frugal installed Fossa Pup 9.5 on a virtual machine and installed devx with quickpet. The aim was to try building using Woof-CE. So, on FossaPup, I followed the instructions given on the GitHub page to build a Pup. But, every time, I get this error:-

Code: Select all

Executing sandbox3/pinstall.sh post-install script...
Configuring Puppy skeleton...
Configuring Puppy Help page...
Setting mtpaint -s as defaultscreenshot app
Setting palemoon as a potentially default web browser
find: '/mnt/sda1/woof-out_x86_64_x86_64_ubuntu_jammy64/rootfs-skeleton/bin': No such file or directory
find: '/mnt/sda1/woof-out_x86_64_x86_64_ubuntu_jammy64/rootfs-skeleton/sbin': No such file or directory
find: '/mnt/sda1/woof-out_x86_64_x86_64_ubuntu_jammy64/rootfs-skeleton/usr/bin': No such file or directory
find: '/mnt/sda1/woof-out_x86_64_x86_64_ubuntu_jammy64/rootfs-skeleton/usr/sbin': No such file or directory
find: '/mnt/sda1/woof-out_x86_64_x86_64_ubuntu_jammy64/support': No such file or directory
find: '/mnt/sda1/woof-out_x86_64_x86_64_ubuntu_jammy64/rootfs-skeleton/bin': No such file or directory
find: '/mnt/sda1/woof-out_x86_64_x86_64_ubuntu_jammy64/rootfs-skeleton/sbin': No such file or directory
find: '/mnt/sda1/woof-out_x86_64_x86_64_ubuntu_jammy64/rootfs-skeleton/usr/bin': No such file or directory
find: '/mnt/sda1/woof-out_x86_64_x86_64_ubuntu_jammy64/rootfs-skeleton/usr/sbin': No such file or directory
find: '/mnt/sda1/woof-out_x86_64_x86_64_ubuntu_jammy64/support': No such file or directory
Clearing symlinks in /etc/ssl/certs...
done.
Updating certificates in /etc/ssl/certs...
124 added, 0 removed; done.
Running hooks in /etc/ca-certificates/update.d...
done.
setting up Evince
ln: failed to create symbolic link 'usr/bin/xmessage': File exists
/mnt/sda1/woof-out_x86_64_x86_64_ubuntu_jammy64/sandbox3/pinstall.sh: line 260: patchelf: command not found
pinstall.sh aborted before completion. Press ENTER or CTRL-C: 
setting PS1="\e[1;32m\u@\H\e[0m:\e[1;34m\w\e[0m\$ " as the CLI prompt.
Now setting /etc/os-release file

Installing HUGE kernel to build/
wget: missing URL
Usage: wget [OPTION]... [URL]...

Try `wget --help' for more options.
Could not get kernel list
If you have connectivity issues (or the site is unreachable)
 place a huge kernel in the 'huge_kernel' directory
Type A in hit enter to retry, any other key to exit

What am I doing wrong? I have tried to build both Jammy and Focal using the method. But, both seem to get stuck at this part. Any help is appreciated.

dimkr

Re: Building Pup using Woof-CE fails every time with a not found error

Post by dimkr »

You need to define KERNEL_TARBALL_URL in _00build.conf, download a kernel and put it in kernel-kit/output (for example, from https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... el-kit.yml), or build a kernel with kernel-kit (https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... the-kernel). Then, run 3builddistro again.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Do you have these minimum requirements to build?

Suitable build environment

Linux partition
At least 6-10GBs of space

Host operating system

A recent Woof-CE puppy with the devx (compilers, headers and other development tools) installed. Otherwise use run_woof.

A woof-out_* working directory

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

socr8es

Post by socr8es »

dimkr wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:44 pm

You need to define KERNEL_TARBALL_URL in _00build.conf, download a kernel and put it in kernel-kit/output (for example, from https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... el-kit.yml), or build a kernel with kernel-kit (https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... the-kernel). Then, run 3builddistro again.

Let me try this. I will get back with the results. Thank you.

socr8es

Post by socr8es »

bigpup wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:46 pm

Do you have these minimum requirements to build?

Suitable build environment

Linux partition
At least 6-10GBs of space

Host operating system

A recent Woof-CE puppy with the devx (compilers, headers and other development tools) installed. Otherwise use run_woof.

A woof-out_* working directory

Yes, my setup does meet all of these requirements.

socr8es

Post by socr8es »

dimkr wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:44 pm

This did work(kinda). Thank you for that. Had to build a kernel (5.4) with Github Actions and placed it in the kernel-kit/output folder. ISO was generated. But, when I boot it, I get

sr0 /puppy_upup_22.04.sfs not found

on boot. The funny thing is, upon mounting the ISO, I have 2 sfs files - zdrv_upup_22.04.sfs and fdrv_upup_22.04.sfs

What did I do wrong?

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

You have two options:
1. Change to USR_SYMLINKS=no in _00build.conf: some Ubuntu packages won't work like this.
2. Use one of these two kernels instead:

kernel-kit-output-usrmerge-5.10.x-x86_64
kernel-kit-output-usrmerge-5.15.x-x86_64

This difference between the "normal" kernels and the "-usrmerge" ones is explained in https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... kernel-kit.

socr8es

Post by socr8es »

dimkr wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:06 pm

You have two options:
1. Change to USR_SYMLINKS=no in _00build.conf: some Ubuntu packages won't work like this.

This difference between the "normal" kernels and the "-usrmerge" ones is explained in https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... kernel-kit.

Tried building with the usmerge kernels too, but, still the ISO lacks the main sfs file. I am going to try this again on a fresh frugal and will report back.

socr8es

Post by socr8es »

dimkr wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:06 pm

You have two options:

UPDATE - No luck with a fresh rebuild with the usrmerge kernels too.

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

I bet you have -comp zstd in _00build.conf and mksquashfs is too old because you're building from Fossapup, so it doesn't support zstd. Try to change to -comp xz.

socr8es

Post by socr8es »

dimkr wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:00 pm

I bet you have -comp zstd in _00build.conf and mksquashfs is too old because you're building from Fossapup, so it doesn't support zstd. Try to change to -comp xz.

Tried that too, unfortunately, no success. Somehow the main sfs and the other supporting sfs files don't get built into the ISO. I clone the Woof-CE repo directly from the official repo. So, I am guessing the default testing branch gets cloned. Should I try another branch? BTW, when you said it, I realised Fossa is pretty old. So, decided to try your Jammy Upup from your GH releases. Unfortunately, VirtualBox has issues with Wayland and thus, there's no pointer. And, I am unsure if there's a way to switch to Xorg on Jammy pup.

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

The default branch works just fine. Most woof-CE build failures reported in the forums happen because people try to run woof-CE on Bionic and Fossa, and they're just too old.

You can grab bi-weekly snapshots of jammy64 from https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... ammy64.yml or just build on GitHub (https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... -on-GitHub). I've automated the process of running woof-CE, and this clean environment inside GitHub Actions can build all supported woof-CE configurations (the table at https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... py-builder).

socr8es

Post by socr8es »

dimkr wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 6:36 am

The default branch works just fine. Most woof-CE build failures reported in the forums happen because people try to run woof-CE on Bionic and Fossa, and they're just too old.

You can grab bi-weekly snapshots of jammy64 from https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... ammy64.yml or just build on GitHub (https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... -on-GitHub). I've automated the process of running woof-CE, and this clean environment inside GitHub Actions can build all supported woof-CE configurations (the table at https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... py-builder).

Thanks a lot for that. But, I wanted to learn doing it manually. I hope you understand. Actions just automate the whole process for you. And, Fossa and Bionic being old, you are right about that. So, I took your advice and booted your release of jammy pup on my PC and tried to build it. It did do better this time and from the terminal, it was clear that the main .sfs file was built this time. But, it failed when generating the iso this time:-

mounting build/boot/efi.img on /tmp/efi_img

copying files
unmounting /tmp/efi_img
Warning: Creating ISO-9660:1999 (version 2) filesystem.
Warning: ISO-9660 filenames longer than 31 may cause buffer overflows in the OS.
genisoimage: No such file or directory. Invalid node - 'efi'.

I installed genisoimage using apt and also made sure it was in the path. I suspected /tmp of running out of space, but, only 10% of it is used. What could be the issue?

UPDATE - Tried it with run_woof on my Ubuntu Jammy VM using the ISO and devx from https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... ammy64.yml
It still fails at the generating ISO step, which I mentioned above

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

Traditionally, Puppy (and woof-CE) uses mkisofs from cdrtools and not the incompatible one from xorriso or cdrkit. This is why the clean build environment in GitHub Actions includes cdrtools, see https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... d.yml#L151.

socr8es

Post by socr8es »

dimkr wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:46 am

Traditionally, Puppy (and woof-CE) uses mkisofs from cdrtools and not the incompatible one from xorriso or cdrkit. This is why the clean build environment in GitHub Actions includes cdrtools, see https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... d.yml#L151.

You were absolutely right. Compiled cdrtools with my VM, moved it into woof_run chroot and installed. It went smooth and I have the ISO working right now. Now, there's only one issue. I had compiled fossapup for testing. It seems to be using Vesa, not Wayland or Xorg. Is there a way to force these built distros including Jammy to use Xorg rather than Wayland or Vesa?

And, let me just tell you how helpful you've been. You helped me every step of the way. If it weren't for you, it'd have probably taken me weeks to have a working ISO built off of Woof-CE. So, a huge thanks for that.

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

@socr8es All woof-CE build configurations (minus dpup sid64) use X.Org by default. The only ones that support anything other than X.Org are dpup bookworm64 (dwl, but X.Org is the default) and dpup sid64 (labwc, that's the default and X.Org is unsupported).

socr8es

Post by socr8es »

dimkr wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:03 pm

@socr8es All woof-CE build configurations (minus dpup sid64) use X.Org by default. The only ones that support anything other than X.Org are dpup bookworm64 (dwl, but X.Org is the default) and dpup sid64 (labwc, that's the default and X.Org is unsupported).

Thank you. I will look into it.

socr8es

Post by socr8es »

@dimkr Hey, sorry to bother you again. As you know the upup build was successful, but, the final build lacks QuickPet manager. Is there a way to add it?

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

You'll need to build a .pet package, upload it to some package repo, add that repo to DISTRO_PET_REPOS, then add the package to DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS.

socr8es

Post by socr8es »

dimkr wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 12:03 pm

You'll need to build a .pet package, upload it to some package repo, add that repo to DISTRO_PET_REPOS, then add the package to DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS.

I see. Thank you. Is there any documentation on building QuickPet as a pet package? And, can I upload it to my own custom repo which will be added to DISTRO_PET_REPOS?

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

There's plenty of documentation about .pet packages, PPM and the package list format. Start with looking at dir2pet.

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

Actually, there's a better and simpler way to do this. You can add quickpet to the rootfs-packages directory.

peebee

Post by peebee »

dimkr wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 2:13 pm

Actually, there's a better and simpler way to do this. You can add quickpet to the rootfs-packages directory.

If you do it that way there is a danger that it will disappear if you update Woof-CE so be sure to keep a copy somewhere else....

Builder of LxPups, SPups, UPup32s, VoidPups; LXDE, LXQt, Xfce addons; Chromium, Firefox etc. sfs; & Kernels

socr8es

Post by socr8es »

Was looking for something like this. Thanks a lot for that. Anyways, where can I download the files for quickpet (Jammy)i.e., the usr files and the specs files? I am guessing https://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/p ... /quickpet/

Please let me know if that's not it.

socr8es

Post by socr8es »

peebee wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 5:24 pm

If you do it that way there is a danger that it will disappear if you update Woof-CE so be sure to keep a copy somewhere else....

Thanks for the headsup. I will make a backup.

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

AFAIK there's no quickpet for jammy because nobody made one. You can't just add it to the build because it doesn't exist.

socr8es

Post by socr8es »

dimkr wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 6:01 pm

AFAIK there's no quickpet for jammy because nobody made one. You can't just add it to the build because it doesn't exist.

Yah, I tried that. WIll look into it later. In the meantime, I tried to build Fossapup. When running on VirtualBox and on my laptop, it defaults to vesa driver (as the welcome page says). But, with vesa, the keyboard and mouse don't work. Jammy pup somehow automatically uses the vmware driver on VirtualBox in which case, the kayboard and mouse work flawlessly. In an attempt to tackle this, I even tried removing xorg-xserver-video-vesa from the DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS-ubuntu-focal. But, still it defaults to the vesa driver. Any ideas?

UPDATE - I tried setting vmware manually by forcing xorgwizard from Grub. I set the video driver to vmware under specify. After that, starting X showed me the welcome page which said vmware driver was in use. Unfortunately, the mouse and keyboard still didn't work. Since then though, even if I manually enter vmware in the specify option of the xorg wizard, it still loads vesa.

peebee

Post by peebee »

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... ossa64.pet

is probably the latest - there may be updates in:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... afix64.pet

There is a lot of work involved in keeping it up to date.......

Builder of LxPups, SPups, UPup32s, VoidPups; LXDE, LXQt, Xfce addons; Chromium, Firefox etc. sfs; & Kernels

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

socr8es wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 7:13 am

it still loads vesa.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by that, because AFAIK it should just use the modesetting driver. Maybe something in your build or the build environment is broken.

socr8es

Post by socr8es »

peebee wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 7:34 am

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... ossa64.pet

is probably the latest - there may be updates in:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... afix64.pet

There is a lot of work involved in keeping it up to date.......

Thank you for this. Hope it works with Jammy. Will check and report. BTW, Merry X-mas to you!

Return to “Fossapup64”