F96_2-CE a 2nd Development Test of Fossapup64-9.6-CE

Moderators: 666philb, Forum moderators

rockedge
Site Admin

F96_2-CE a 2nd Development Test of Fossapup64-9.6-CE

Post by rockedge »

Now for download and testing is F96_2-CE a second stage development test of Fossapup64-9.6-CE.
F96_2-CE is built from woof-CE and is using the kernel huge-6.0.5-lxpup64.tar.bz2. Several additions and corrections then remastered the base rootfs and modified the adrv SFS then squashed the rootfs and adrv and created the boot-able ISO.

Ready for testing the ISO resides here ->

F96_2-CE.iso 499 MiB download size
SHA1-MD5.txt

or https://rockedge.org/kernels/

Added in some suggested refinments and fixes from @radky. Removed megabytes of hanging remaster files. Created ISO and rootfs SFS files using a combination of the techniques used to build KLV-Airedale comonents and nicOS-Utility-Suite from @amethyst.

Desktop design is prototype and remains under development. I would like to add some of @geo_c theme utilities and icon sets. There is now some room to add in some more of the tools and programs that will round out F96-CE.

In the next stage 3 version I will update the Hiawatha web server to the very latest version and tweak the configuration. @dimkr, what is the best way to do this at the woof-CE level?

dimkr

Re: F96_2-CE a 2nd Development Test of Fossapup64-9.6-CE

Post by dimkr »

rockedge wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:01 am

@dimkr, what is the best way to do this at the woof-CE level?

If you want the latest version you'll probably need to build it from source. See https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... rom-source and https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... -petbuilds for examples.

Alternatively, you can build a .pet package manually, but you'll need to rebuild and upload it every time you want to update again, you'll need to remember how you built it, and nobody else would be able to do that.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@dimkr I have gotten Hiawatha in different ways. There used to be a Debian repo version tht fit in easily but the maintainer looks like has abandoned it. Otherwise I've built it from source for years.

The update rate for Hiawatha is very slow and the existing versions are very stable and like any other package like gtkdialog which is depreciated in most distro's but still very much useful and appears in woof-CE built Puppy's at whatever latest version it is stuck in.

radky

Post by radky »

@rockedge,

Thanks for including JWMdesk in FossaPup64 9.6, but please consider the following.

Current iterations of Puppy Linux generated by Woof-CE for the jwm desktop include standard jwmconfig utilities sanctioned by Woof-CE.

JWMdesk is designed as a comprehensive desktop manager which can function independently or it can share the jwm desktop with the jwmconfig tools of Woof-CE -- with the important caveat that JWMdesk and jwmconfig tools may conflict at times and should not be used at the same time.

However, since FossaPup64 9.6 is a candidate for a community sanctioned release designed for wide distribution, it should not include tools that potentially conflict and subsequently confuse the first-time users of Puppy Linux.

Consequently, I recommend removing JWMdesk from FossaPup64 9.6.

At a later time, experienced users of Puppy Linux may install additional desktop management tools at their discretion.

Thanks

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Downloaded and booted V2 version in QEMU. All total including download and launch to dekstop=1 minute

booted to desktop
booted to desktop
F96_2 in QEMU.jpg (16.43 KiB) Viewed 708 times

Booted bare-metal via SG2D;

• At F96-2's boot Menu, it was allowed to boot with NO entry to any stanza

• The distro finds the prior 'Fossapupsaves'

• Selected to boot pristine

• PPM updated

• Neofetch installed

• all is well thus far

• Shutdown processing finds & saves this session's work on the "Persistence" drive in its "/Sessions" folder with all prior PUP saves.

Booted via SG2D launch
Booted via SG2D launch
F96-2 pristine desktop .jpg (27.83 KiB) Viewed 673 times
bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Just started testing.

In any of the programs I have run,
Some have a help button or buttons for additional stuff, that when clicked, are a link to a location on the Puppy forum.

These do not work.

To Fix
Have the default html viewer set to Pale Moon browser.

In Default Application Chooser, set html viewer to palemoon. (could be any installed browser, but Pale Moon is already installed and there to use)

Now all of these are working and opening Pale Moon browser, to show whatever it is suppose to show.

Another reason to have some kind of browser already in a Puppy version.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

@rockedge

There is work going on, to update all the Puppy documentation files, that are in usr/share/doc

These files have bad links and not so good information in some.

When completed, hopefully will get them updated in the Woof-CE repository.

Work is being done here:
viewtopic.php?t=7273

Hopefully will be done in a couple of weeks.

If you get to final release and Woof-CE has not gotten updated documentation files.

Look at this topic for them.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

Return to “Fossapup64”