pkg-config: systemd not found?

Moderators: 666philb, Forum moderators

user1234

pkg-config: systemd not found?

Post by user1234 »

I was compiling a package named ibus (https://github.com/ibus/ibus/wiki/Install). Earlier I had installed it using PPM, but even after being installed it didn't seem to work. I tried performing a lot of things to make it work until I thought that it'd be better to compile it, because that way I will be able to see the errors as well. And now I see the error- its systemd which can't be found. I searched PPM with systemd, and it seems that a lot of packages including systemd in their names have already been installed. A package named systemd_245.4 is also installed, which seems to be the package for systemd to be installed. But while compiling ibus, I still see an error related to systemd saying that-

Code: Select all

checking for SYSTEMD... no
configure: error: Package requirements (
        systemd >= 0.7.5
    ) were not met:

No package 'systemd' found

Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
installed software in a non-standard prefix.

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables SYSTEMD_CFLAGS
and SYSTEMD_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
See the pkg-config man page for more details.

And my PKG_CONFIG_PATH is set to-

/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig:

Why is systemd not being found? And how can I resolve the issue?

Thanks
Regards
user1234
(A person stuck in wackiness of compilation.)

PuppyLinux 🐾 gives new life to old computers ✨

OscarTalks

Re: pkg-config: systemd not found?

Post by OscarTalks »

Puppy does not have (the full) systemd included, although it does have some of the systemd components such as the library in order to satisfy the dependency of some essential packages.

If the package you are compiling depends completely on the full systemd that is rather a problematic situation.

In many cases, systemd can be an optional dependency, in which case, call the configure script with the --help option and look to see if you can configure the build with systemd disabled.

user1234

Post by user1234 »

Well it won't run without sytemd. Maybe I should consider changing to previous versions, in case it helps.

EDIT:
@OscarTalks Changing to earlier versions does not help. Now the program itself is not compiling (due to version errors).

OscarTalks

Post by OscarTalks »

I did a bit of experimenting in FossaPup
The version 1.5.27 has the configure option --disable-systemd-services
Including that in your options string does remove the dependency on systemd

I got the package to compile OK, but there are some additional problems when trying to run it. The setup/preferences interface uses python and it does not work. I added the python3-gi module package via PPM but then there was another error about GdkX11 version 3.0 or something and I was not able to fix that.

I think you need to add the dconf-cli package via PPM

I did try several combinations of configure options and I was getting a bit lost with the steps I had done, but I did get a version of it working from command line. It was producing gtk3 popup notifications and a tray notification icon. I was able to switch the engine from English : British to Portuguese : Portugal and back again, so not sure exactly what you need it for, but you might be able to get something functional up and running.

user1234

Post by user1234 »

OscarTalks wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:00 pm

I did a bit of experimenting in FossaPup
The version 1.5.27 has the configure option --disable-systemd-services
Including that in your options string does remove the dependency on systemd

I got the package to compile OK, but there are some additional problems when trying to run it. The setup/preferences interface uses python and it does not work. I added the python3-gi module package via PPM but then there was another error about GdkX11 version 3.0 or something and I was not able to fix that.

I think you need to add the dconf-cli package via PPM

I did try several combinations of configure options and I was getting a bit lost with the steps I had done, but I did get a version of it working from command line. It was producing gtk3 popup notifications and a tray notification icon. I was able to switch the engine from English : British to Portuguese : Portugal and back again, so not sure exactly what you need it for, but you might be able to get something functional up and running.

How were you able to? When I try to do make, I end up with this error-

make[4]: *** No rule to make target 'IBus-1.0.typelib', needed by 'all-am'.  Stop.

OscarTalks

Post by OscarTalks »

You can experiment with adding the configure option --enable-introspection=no
That disables gobject introspection in the build. I often do that when compiling from source in Puppy and everything works fine without it. In this case I think it is part of the overall cluster of problems though.

I tried another quick test compile today, including the option --disable-setup since the setup GUI does not work anyway (partly because of already missing introspection packages I think).
It does sort of work but there are problems with the tray icon because it wants adwaita icon theme and if you want unicode and emojis I think you have to install other packages as well (or --disable-unicode-dict and --disable-emoji-dict in the build). There is a long list of some really obscure world languages in the engine though.

I am normally a big advocate of compiling from source code in Puppy, but this package is a bit challenging. Installing ibus via PPM in Fossa works, but is an older version with fewer languages listed and drags in a lot of dependencies including the icon themes and the gobject introspection libraries and data. Sometimes you can compile much smaller "Puppified" versions of things, but looking at the results of a PPM install can give clues, and in this case I am not so sure.

user1234

Post by user1234 »

OscarTalks wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:59 pm

You can experiment with adding the configure option --enable-introspection=no
That disables gobject introspection in the build. I often do that when compiling from source in Puppy and everything works fine without it. In this case I think it is part of the overall cluster of problems though.

I tried another quick test compile today, including the option --disable-setup since the setup GUI does not work anyway (partly because of already missing introspection packages I think).
It does sort of work but there are problems with the tray icon because it wants adwaita icon theme and if you want unicode and emojis I think you have to install other packages as well (or --disable-unicode-dict and --disable-emoji-dict in the build). There is a long list of some really obscure world languages in the engine though.

I am normally a big advocate of compiling from source code in Puppy, but this package is a bit challenging. Installing ibus via PPM in Fossa works, but is an older version with fewer languages listed and drags in a lot of dependencies including the icon themes and the gobject introspection libraries and data. Sometimes you can compile much smaller "Puppified" versions of things, but looking at the results of a PPM install can give clues, and in this case I am not so sure.

When you installed it using PPM, were you able to change to different languages and even type in them? I am asking this because it installed for me but I was not able to type in different languages.

OscarTalks

Post by OscarTalks »

Now in FossaPup fresh boot and repeated the install of ibus via PPM
Needed to edit the .desktop file and run fixmenus in order to get a menu entry to appear ( ibus Preferences GUI )
The command ibus-daemon -d starts the daemon, you might want a script in /root/Startup to do this
The setup preferences GUI does open and I was able to add English British to the default English US
I also added Portuguese Portuguese via this GUI
The 3 options now appear as a list if I Left Click the ibus tray icon
When I select those, the tray icon changes from EN to PT to show the changed keyboard layout
The keyboard layout does change (some keys become wrong on my British keyboard if I select Portuguese)

So something seems to be working
I don't know any languages with different alphabets or anything like that
Otherwise I am not sure what you need it to do or what it is supposed to do.

Return to “Fossapup64”