Fossapup64 erroneous Improper Shutdown Notice (Solved)

Moderators: 666philb, Forum moderators

mikeslr

Fossapup64 erroneous Improper Shutdown Notice (Solved)

Post by mikeslr »

Hi All,

I remastered Fossapup64, then used the Save2SFS component of NicOS-Utilities-Suite, viewtopic.php?p=12983#p12983, to create a ydrv.sfs. Everything works fine with this exception: On boot-up, just before reaching desktop, a notice appears that there's a problem --paraphrase "likely the result of an improper shutdown" with the choices of running "configure-x?" or "ignore" with the further notice something to the effect of "if wait 30 seconds attempt to boot to desktop with 'ignore' being used". Clicking 'ignore' or waiting results in a properly configured display.

The problem appears to be with the ydrv.sfs as it doesn't occur when booting without using the ydrv.sfs. [But, of course, neither do the settings and applications I have in the ydrv.sfs]. A ydrv.sfs --like any sfs-- can be manually edited, repackaged, and the new version substituted.

Anyone have any idea as to what file(s) to delete/edit to eliminate the notice?

Last edited by mikeslr on Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
amethyst

Re: Erroneous Improper Shutdown Notice

Post by amethyst »

mikeslr wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:55 pm

Hi All,

I remastered Fossapup64, then used the Save2SFS component of NicOS-Utilities-Suite, viewtopic.php?p=12983#p12983, to create a ydrv.sfs. Everything works fine with this exception: On boot-up, just before reaching desktop, a notice appears that there's a problem --paraphrase "likely the result of an improper shutdown" with the choices of running "configure-x?" or "ignore" with the further notice something to the effect of "if wait 30 seconds attempt to boot to desktop with 'ignore' being used". Clicking 'ignore' or waiting results in a properly configured display.

The problem appears to be with the ydrv.sfs as it doesn't occur when booting without using the ydrv.sfs. [But, of course, neither do the settings and applications I have in the ydrv.sfs]. A ydrv.sfs --like any sfs-- can be manually edited, repackaged, and the new version substituted.

Anyone have any idea as to what file(s) to delete/edit to eliminate the notice?

This seems to be a .XLOADED issue. The latter file is generated as soon as you have successfullly loaded X. If you have a savefile, this file will automatically be deleted during normal reboot/shutdown. The save2sfs script and my remaster script will exclude that file if it is in either /etc (older Puppys) or /root (newer Puppys) but it's possible that that file crept into your ydrv or remastered sfs if the location has changed since or even if a different file is now used. Anyways, the solution is to edit/delete .XLOADED from your remastered sfs or ydrv if it is there because it shouldn't be. Please report any new location of the said file so the script can be adapted to also include that scenario.

mikeslr

Re: Fossapup64 erroneous Improper Shutdown Notice

Post by mikeslr »

Thanks, amethyst. That solved it. Somehow a ".wh" file crept in to 'white-out' .XLOADED.

Return to “Fossapup64”