Changing Menu icons

Moderators: 666philb, Forum moderators

wizard

Changing Menu icons

Post by wizard »

Change Menu icons fossapup64 9.5

Several of my menu icons have changed and I'm trying to change them back. Here's a piece of .jwmrc file:

Menu label="Desktop" icon="x48.png" height="24">
<Program label="JWMDesk Manager" icon="/usr/share/icons/PMaterial/scalable/categories/desktop-theme.svg">jwmdesk</Program>
<Program label="LockState Tray Indicators" icon="/usr/share/icons/PMaterial/scalable/status/caps-lock-warning.svg">lockstate-gtk</Program>
<Program label="PupClockset manager" icon="/usr/local/PupClockset/icons/clockformat48.png">PupClockset</Program>
<Program label="Redshift" icon="/usr/share/pixmaps/rshift.png">/usr/bin/redshift-portable-64</Program>
<Program label="pSynclient Touchpad Setup" icon="/usr/share/pixmaps/psynclient.svg">psynclient</Program>
<Program label="Configure Xlock screen locking" icon="/usr/share/pixmaps/puppy/screen_lock.svg">/usr/local/apps/Xlock/AppRun -configure</Program>

My icon theme is Blue Moon so in this case the icon="x48.png" needs to change to "desktop.svg". Switching icon themes back and forth and Fixmenus doesn't seem to fix it.

I've looked at the file _root_.jwmrc ,but could find no reference. Anyone know what controls these icons.
Thanks
wizard

Big pile of OLD computers

OscarTalks

Re: Changing Menu icons

Post by OscarTalks »

Hello wizard,
I replied in the other thread but maybe that was the wrong place.
Anyway, I have concluded that the _root_.jwmrc template file can be left alone.
The answer is making sure that the correct (desired) icon files are present with the right names in the sub-directories in /usr/local/lib/X11/themes
These are the ones that get copied into /usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps by the icon switcher
From there they display in the menu categories list as well as ROX pinboard

wizard

Post by wizard »

I posted earlier in what I thought was fossapup64 topic, but it never showed in either Your Post or New Post. Where did you find it?

Anyway, I posted again and it showed. To your point, my experimenting confirms what you said, but I found that if a theme didn't have the specified icon it uses an icon from another theme and the .jwmrc file doesn't seem to reflect what is actually displayed. Must be caching or just using the last one found in pixmaps. It's a puzzle.

By the way, I miss seeing "Oscar in England"

Thanks
wizard

OscarTalks

Post by OscarTalks »

Your previous attempt to post got tagged onto the end of this thread by mistake it seems
viewtopic.php?t=809
It is rather confusing, but I guess the fixmenus process names an icon and then JWM looks for the best match with the highest priority in its list of icon paths in /root/.jwmrc
But I could be wrong. Tinkering with those icon files in the themes sub-directories seems to be the way to get it to work as desired
The one in the PMaterial theme is different from the one that appears from first boot before any icon switches have been made. That is what seems to make the problem show itself.

wizard

Post by wizard »

Odd that the first post never showed in Your Post or New Post, tried on two different computers. I'll remove the first post as it has nothing to do with that topic.

Thanks again

wizard

snoring_cat

Post by snoring_cat »

Hi wizard,

[ I've noticed that there are different tools in Puppy Linux to adjust themes and icons. Some have bugs. Some don't use the same configuration files. I'm going to work on those tools in the future, and try to contact the tool owners. ]

Do note that there are other files and folders that can be your culprit. For example, you might have a /root/.icons folder that can override /usr/share/ based icons. Also, /root/.jwm/jwmrc-tray files might have icons hard coded in place.

Meeeooow!

-- substance over noise, since 5 minutes in the future --

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

wizard wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:16 am

Change Menu icons fossapup64 9.5

Several of my menu icons have changed and I'm trying to change them back. Here's a piece of .jwmrc file:

Menu label="Desktop" icon="x48.png" height="24">
<Program label="JWMDesk Manager" icon="/usr/share/icons/PMaterial/scalable/categories/desktop-theme.svg">jwmdesk</Program>
<Program label="LockState Tray Indicators" icon="/usr/share/icons/PMaterial/scalable/status/caps-lock-warning.svg">lockstate-gtk</Program>
<Program label="PupClockset manager" icon="/usr/local/PupClockset/icons/clockformat48.png">PupClockset</Program>
<Program label="Redshift" icon="/usr/share/pixmaps/rshift.png">/usr/bin/redshift-portable-64</Program>
<Program label="pSynclient Touchpad Setup" icon="/usr/share/pixmaps/psynclient.svg">psynclient</Program>
<Program label="Configure Xlock screen locking" icon="/usr/share/pixmaps/puppy/screen_lock.svg">/usr/local/apps/Xlock/AppRun -configure</Program>

My icon theme is Blue Moon so in this case the icon="x48.png" needs to change to "desktop.svg". Switching icon themes back and forth and Fixmenus doesn't seem to fix it.
wizard

So you want the menu desktop section to use this icon?

Screenshot.jpg
Screenshot.jpg (9.19 KiB) Viewed 559 times

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

wizard

Post by wizard »

@bigpup

Yes, the info from oscar and my test show that all icon themes don't contain all icons, so the menu uses what is there in pixmaps. Looks like you get different icons depending on what order you have switched the themes. I solved my issue by symlinking the icons I wanted into the Blue-Moon theme.

Thanks
wizard

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

That is the big problem with icon theme packs.

Someone that makes one specifically for Puppy Linux, is going to make the names of the icons, correct for Puppy.
They will also, have all needed icons, in the theme.
Some icon themes, not specifically made for Puppy Linux, could have anything in them. Wrong names used or missing needed icons.

As you have seen in .jwmrc, most listed programs, have their own specific icon, and specific info, on where to find it.
But a few entries, only use the name of the icon, that should be found in /usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps

That has been a discussion at Woof-CE, about correcting the icons, and having a good Puppy standard icon theme, with correct names and all needed icons.
Every Puppy made, using Woof-CE, will have a good standard Puppy icon theme, to use.

If a icon theme is missing a icon or a correct name.
You can go into the theme directory and add or correct stuff.
That is what I do, with themes not specifically made for Puppy Linux.

the .jwmrc file, is a good clue, for what is using, just the name of the icon.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

Return to “Fossapup64”