Vivaldi does not download properly in FP64(SOLVED)

Moderators: 666philb, Forum moderators

gychang

Vivaldi does not download properly in FP64(SOLVED)

Post by gychang »

I am using the Vivaldi 4.3.2439.71 (Stable channel) stable (64-bit). Works fine EXCEPT for downloads. Always wants to download to spot folder (link) but does not download, neither in the /root folder. I am guessing it maybe due to puppylinux using root. Is there a fix for this? I tried vivaldi --no-sandbox in terminal but still does not download properly. Palemoon browser downloads works well. :o :o

Last edited by gychang on Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

======

Puppy Bytes, utube videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg-DUU ... u62_iqR-MA

======

rockedge
Site Admin

Re: Vivaldi does not download properly in FP64

Post by rockedge »

You running Vivaldi as the user "spot"? When you attempt to download it is not writing to the link /root/spot/Downloads or target /home/spot/Downloads? There is no download at all or is there a permissions error? Are you trying to write to /root/Downloads as default? Then add user "spot" to the "root" group or alter the permissions of /root/Downloads to receive files from group members

snoring_cat

Post by snoring_cat »

Hi gychang,

Can you please start Vivaldi, and then paste the output from the following (using the Terminal program);

Code: Select all

ps -ef | grep vivaldi

As another test, please try the following to verify that Vivaldi can now download. Note that I am assuming Vivaldi is installed under /opt/vivaldi. If not please change the command to the location of where vivaldi is installed

Code: Select all

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/vivaldi/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH /opt/vivaldi/vivaldi-bin --no-sandbox

Meeeooow!

-- substance over noise, since 5 minutes in the future --

gychang

Post by gychang »

rockedge wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:59 pm

You running Vivaldi as the user "spot"? When you attempt to download it is not writing to the link /root/spot/Downloads or target /home/spot/Downloads? There is no download at all or is there a permissions error? Are you trying to write to /root/Downloads as default? Then add user "spot" to the "root" group or alter the permissions of /root/Downloads to receive files from group members

Due to difficulties I made another boot and attempted to install vivaldi but ...
I used quickpet, after updating I click on the vivaldi install under browsers tab, after I agree to install, I get a warning ar utility is not installed, and will attempt dpkg-deb. I click to download stable vivaldi with root. Initially it is attempting to download and unpack then, it does NOT get installed. Now the trouble is getting it installed...

======

======

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Fossapup64 9.5 is installed on what drive?
Is it a frugal install using a save file or save folder?
If a save file.
How much free space is in it?
Hover the mouse pointer, over the personal storage icon on the right side of the desktop try, to find out the free space available.
How much do you have?

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

gychang

Post by gychang »

bigpup wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:35 am

Fossapup64 9.5 is installed on what drive?
Is it a frugal install using a save file or save folder?
If a save file.
How much free space is in it?
Hover the mouse pointer, over the personal storage icon on the right side of the desktop try, to find out the free space available.
How much do you have?

it was installed on usb stick (sda 1 (EFI-boot), sda2 (root)), frugal installed with frugalpup originally. Is save folder on the sda2 not a savefile. I will just stick with palemoon, although generally I prefer vivaldi.

thanks,

======

======

snoring_cat

Post by snoring_cat »

Hi again gychang,

If you still want to use Vivaldi, and your main problem was downloading/installing into Puppy Linux Fossa 64, this might help. I created a Puppy Linux SFS file for the newest 5.0 Vivaldi from Vivaldi's website. You can download it via this link. The file is about 100MB.

Something small to note is that Vivaldi 5.x has a problem with the --app= option. This has to do with Google breaking some of the code that Vivaldi, Chrome, etc use. Luckily, most people don't use the --app= option, so you should be fine.

Meeeooow!

-- substance over noise, since 5 minutes in the future --

gychang

Post by gychang »

snoring_cat wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:21 pm

Hi again gychang,

If you still want to use Vivaldi, and your main problem was downloading/installing into Puppy Linux Fossa 64, this might help. I created a Puppy Linux SFS file for the newest 5.0 Vivaldi from Vivaldi's website. You can download it via this link. The file is about 100MB.

that works well!! :thumbup2:

======

======

mikewalsh

Re: Vivaldi does not download properly in FP64(SOLVED)

Post by mikewalsh »

@gychang:-

Greg:- I guess the reason you were having problems over 'ar', etc, is the same one I ran across. Debian are in the process of changing .debs over to a new compression standard. The installed Puppy 'dpkg-deb' is built to work with the old standard, and no longer works with the new one. Extraction techniques for .deb packages, all across the web, recommend 'ar' as the first thing to try.

Now; Puppy has access to the 'ar' utility, but you don't install it from the PPM or a .pet package. It's part of 'binutils', which in turn is part of the devX SFS package that comes with every Pup. So the way to get access to the 'ar' utility is to load your devX first.....

Hope that helps, if you want to try downloading and using the new version from their website at any time in the future.

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

Return to “Fossapup64”