where to find the list of packages installed by PPM

Moderators: 666philb, Forum moderators

michel804

where to find the list of packages installed by PPM

Post by michel804 »

I tried to install OpenJDK 8 from PPM and got a Successful message that it was installed. However I could not run Java from the command line. The command was not recognized
So where can I find the list of applications that have been installed through the PPM? I want to verify that it was actually installed.
I looked through the file system but can't find anything. I even tried the 'locate' command but it is not recognized in bash.

I am using Fossapup64
Thanks,
Michel

HerrBert

Re: where to find the list of packages installed by PPM

Post by HerrBert »

IIRC packages installed by Puppy Package Manager are logged to /var/packages/user-installed-packages and the files installed by a package in /var/packages/<name_of_package>.files.

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Applications installed via the Puppy Package Manager of any Puppy are catalog at /root/.packages. Note the ./dot. It's a hidden folder. To view hidden files/folder you have to 'show hidden files', which if your file manager is rox you do by Left-Clicking rox's "Eye" on its Toolbar.

FWIW, you may be better off uninstalling OpenJDK 8 --if it was installed-- and using one of the SFS rerwin, viewtopic.php?p=8935#p8935 or MikeWalsh, viewtopic.php?p=21405#p21405 have published. SFSes are Menu>Setup>SFS-Load on the fly rather than installed.

Puppy Package Manager only knows what dependencies an application has if the major distro it accesses lists them. But those who create applications for a major distro assume that the OS provides a specific infra-structure. Puppys have their own unique infra-structure and may lack something the application's creator assumed to be present. When possible, it's always better to use an application specifically compiled or built for Puppy.

Feek

Post by Feek »

Other way:

in puppy package manager click "uninstall" button and the list of already installed apps will appear.

You can only look and cancel (or to remove any package if needed).

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Feek wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:35 am

Other way:

in puppy package manager click "uninstall" button and the list of already installed apps will appear.

You can only look and cancel (or to remove any package if needed).

Dah. Of course. :lol:
Not sure where my mind had wondered to. :oops:
Puppy Package Manager creates and reads /root/.packages.
And HerrBert is also right. I haven't completely gotten my head around some of the differences between Fossapup64 and the Puppys which came before it. Fossapup64 makes greater use of Pkg-Cli [Package Manager NG & NG Cli on the Setup sub-menu and some applications installed via Quickpet may use it] and more fully follows Ubuntu's system of noting the installation of applications in the /var folder. I'm not certain that the installation of some applications in which Package Manager NG is involved will be reflected in .packages. But, the OP did say that Puppy Package Manager was used.

Return to “Fossapup64”