Installed Portmaster. Error message on reboot

Moderators: 666philb, Forum moderators

Thass

Installed Portmaster. Error message on reboot

Post by Thass »

Hello all,

I installed Portmaster on FossaPup 64 just now and rebooted and the error message below came up. Any ideas on how to resolve it?

Failed to execute child process "/var/lib/portmaster/-portmaster-start" (Permission denied)

Thanks,
Thass

Flash

Re: Installed Portmaster. Error message on reboot

Post by Flash »

Where did you find Portmaster (URL please) and how did you install it?

Chaos coordinator :?
rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

It seems you only have to make the /var/lib/portmaster/-portmaster-start executable!

Thass

Post by Thass »

Hello again,

Flash, I got Portmaster here: https://safing.io/portmaster/

Rockedge, I did what you suggested and it opened without error however while FossaPup showed it on in Conky, it wouldn't display the user interface. I think FossaPup might be too weird for the program. It works great in Windows though.

I removed the program from FossaPup.

Thass

Flash

Post by Flash »

You could try it in another Puppy. I'm trying out Slacko now. So far I've found few vices.

Chaos coordinator :?
wiak

Post by wiak »

Portmaster sounds (and looks in online browse) very interesting. I note that for finer-grained control Postmaster still recommends using separate Ad-blocker such as Ublock-origin, which is what I use.

Security (weaknesses) becoming more and more critical and important to work on. Personally I think Puppy would be advised to move away from root user login (though I think it will be a long time before most Puppy users move away from that mode of convenient operation) - if not towards full multiuser at least towards tightening up on the operation of user spot and similar. Doesn't matter to me but really hacking and loss of privacy is a nightmare that cannot be ignored nowadays. I'm certainly going to be working more on securing my own systems - maybe not going so far as rufwoof seems to do, but the days of being slack about such matters are fading for me - especially when running small business - not just a worry about online banking any more. Tracking via mobile phones we all give up our privacy to is probably the worst issue of all - we have, most of us, sold our souls already in that privacy/freedom sense.

Convenient ability to check and block port activity is certainly one avenue with ad/malware-blocking and so on, and sometimes a careful check with the likes of Wireshark (but that needs deeper understanding of protocols).

wiak

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

Return to “Fossapup64”