vlc chromecast in fossa 9.5 not working

Moderators: 666philb, Forum moderators

wizard

vlc chromecast in fossa 9.5 not working

Post by wizard »

installed: vlc-3.0.11-x86_64-fossa.pet

vlc media player should be able to cast content to a chromecast device by using: Playback>Renderer and then choosing the device. When using in fossa, Renderer shows only Local and Scanning (Scanning is grayed out). Checking this on the web it seems that libmicrodns and protobuf are required for casting. Neither of these are available in the PPM.

Anyone have a way to get these dependencies for fossa?

note: I confirmed everything else is working using puppy stretch 7.5rc5 and vlc 3.02

wizard

Big pile of OLD computers

Grey

Re: vlc chromecast in fossa 9.5 not working

Post by Grey »

I have compiled libmicrodns from the vlc authors sources on GitHub:

Minimal mDNS resolver(Fossapup64).tar
(40 KiB) Downloaded 36 times

Unpack and put in /root/my-applications/lib/ folder. This is the easiest way.

And protobuf can still be found in PPM and it is called libprotobuf17_3.6.1.3

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Should this be packaged and announce here for general FossaPUP TV users?

Your thoughts

Grey

Post by Grey »

Clarity wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:24 am

Should this be packaged and announce here for general FossaPUP TV users?
Your thoughts

I do not use and do not like vlc and cannot check all the components in operation. Therefore, I give way to anyone who wishes :)

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

OscarTalks

Post by OscarTalks »

Without a chromecast device it is impossible to test, but as an experiment I have compiled VLC-3.0.12 in FossaPup.

I compiled microdns-0.2.0 from source. The library is included in the package.
The needed libprotobuf-lite17 is included in FossaPup
Some other protobuf stuff was added at build time, but I don't think it is needed once built.
You have to have all the libraries and DEV headers installed at compile time in order for the appropriate plugins to get built.
You can not simply add libraries afterwards as there will be no plugins to link to them.
The configure script output looked optimistic
Some plugins for chromecast and microdns are present (they did get built and their dependencies are all in place)
I have no idea though if it will work or if things are still missing or if other problems may arise.

Uploaded strictly for testing, no guarantees at all
http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks/vlc-3.0. ... -fossa.pet

wizard

Post by wizard »

@Grey

Thanks for those pieces of the puzzle, turns out it was a little more complicated, but got it working. After trying several programs/methods of casting to chromecast VLC was a clear winner for its ability to play and cast almost any format of video or audio, plus it will transcode on the fly if necessary.

@OscarTalks
You've done it again, 3.0.12 works with chromecast in initial test. I'll give it a better run and post results.

Thanks
wizard

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

+1! ... Oscar ... 3.0.12

@OscarTalks althought this thread addresses VLC with Chromecast use in FossaPUP64, I tired to PET on Slacko64 v8.01. From terminal this occurs

Code: Select all

# vlc
vlc: error while loading shared libraries: libvlc.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Would love to have 3.0.12 running there.

FYI

Grey

Post by Grey »

Hi wizard. Can you check how this fresh version of SMPlayer works with chromecast? This is my favorite player. Launched as usual via Menu>>Multimedia >>SMPlayer
In the player, you need to start playing the video and then click Play>>Cast to>>Chromecast in menu. SMPlayer uses a small web server and port 8010 by default. Should work.
https://disk.yandex.ru/d/9d_kU855YyDG_Q

OscarTalks

Post by OscarTalks »

Clarity wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:34 am

althought this thread addresses VLC with Chromecast use in FossaPUP64, I tired to PET on Slacko64 v8.01.

This experimental build was configured with the default LIBDIR=/usr/lib which works OK in Fossa it seems. Maybe I should have configured LIBDIR=/usr/lib/x86_64-lixux-gnu as this seems to be where most of the libraries go.
One of the niggles with the move from 32bit to 64bit is that libraries are often not in /usr/lib anymore. The libvlc.so.5 is there, but it is in /usr/lib
In 64bit Slacko, it may be that libraries are all in /usr/lib64 and /usr/lib is not even added to LD_LIBRARY_PATH
That might explain why it is not found.
As a test, try in terminal:-
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
followed by the command
vlc
Having said that, I do NOT expect this vlc to fully work in Slacko. I am sure there will be some library mismatches and wrong version numbers. The ffmpeg libraries are one example of an important component which may not be the correct ones. I have not begun looking at the latest Slacko yet, but I believe that a vlc for it would need to be compiled in a Slacko build environment, with any desired optional libraries added before building vlc

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Thanks for your reply.

Code: Select all

# export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
# vlc
vlc: error while loading shared libraries: libidn.so.11: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

It appears that this, below, is a required pathway.

OscarTalks wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:02 pm

... I believe that a vlc for it would need to be compiled in a Slacko build environment, with any desired optional libraries added before building vlc

Thanks, though, for your to help. Fossa64 is fine.

wizard

Post by wizard »

@Grey
Hi grey, I tested your smplayer and it works. It requires that you have chrome or chromium (and maybe other chrome based) set as your default browser. The browser is actually what does the casting.

wizard

wizard

Post by wizard »

VLC 3.0.12 test.
Watched full .mp4 movie, tested controls, etc. and listened to a playlist of .mp3 audio files. No issues, everything seems to be working correctly

thanks oscar

wizard

Grey

Post by Grey »

wizard wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:45 am

Hi grey, I tested your smplayer and it works. It requires that you have chrome or chromium (and maybe other chrome based) set as your default browser. The browser is actually what does the casting..

It's good. Thanks for testing.
I mentioned above that the player uses a tiny web server and therefore a browser is needed.

Return to “Fossapup64”