Post by rburkartjo »

when i open conky all i get is

Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (423.22 KiB) Viewed 1198 times

how to i fix /tks

Attachments
Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (423.22 KiB) Viewed 1198 times
Last edited by rburkartjo on Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flash

Re: How to fix conky?

Post by Flash »

What's wrong with that?

Chaos coordinator :?
rburkartjo

Post by rburkartjo »

flash last time it was working was on the right side of my screen and showed a lot more info. also now lock in current position. i tried deleting the conf file hoping it would reset but did not

ThruHammer

Post by ThruHammer »

And if you restore it via JWMDesk?

Sounds as though there's a fight for supremacy between Conky and your new weather app.

ThruHammer

Post by ThruHammer »

Maybe kill weather-indicator, dump conkyrc and restart X?

taersh

Post by taersh »

ThruHammer wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:33 pm

And if you restore it via JWMDesk?

Sounds as though there's a fight for supremacy between Conky and your new weather app.

Weather App? :lol:

Who needs such things?

When I want to know the current weather, I take a look out of the window. Works perfectly, works all the time. ;)

My Music:
https://soundcloud.com/user-633698367
Using my own build of Bionic64
The far-left is as fascist as the far-right is!

TerryH

Post by TerryH »

There's nothing wrong with conky. It's the config file that the conky you are running in the screenshots above is different from what you normally see . The config file you are running is contained in /etc/conky/conky.conf. That is a default config file, this is what you see if you just issue a command conky . When you see a different conky display the command has been issued to use a different conky config file. Fosspup64 uses a config file which is in /root called conkyrc (it may be hidden prefixed with a . ). This is executed with a command like this conky -c ~/conkyrc. I think fossapup64 may have an autostart script for conky.

Last edited by TerryH on Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

New Laptop - ASUS ZenBook Ryzen 7 5800H Vega 7 iGPU / 16 GB RAM

Grey

Post by Grey »

Such a nuisance (conky on the left side of the screen) happens when you try to run the conky command in terminal. Try running with the command /root/Startup/conkystart or run the conkystart script itself.
It is advisable (although not necessary) to disable the previous conky process in task manager before doing this.

taersh wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:50 pm

Who needs such things?
When I want to know the current weather, I take a look out of the window. Works perfectly, works all the time. ;)

I agree. The same story :) But it must be cool, fashionable, modern. Although weather forecasters, bastards, guess 50 to 50 percent - the same result is given by older women on a bench near my house :)

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

rburkartjo

Post by rburkartjo »

grey and thru lmao. seriously didnt think of fixing thru jwm. that did the trick

Flash

Re: How to fix conky?-(solved)

Post by Flash »

Grey, 40 years ago, forecasting the weather was not much better than 50/50. It has become amazingly accurate in the last several decades. This suggests to me that the models used to predict climate are also becoming accurate enough that when they predict the climate is going to become wilder because of global warming, it's a pretty good bet they're right.

Chaos coordinator :?
Grey

Post by Grey »

Flash wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:10 am

This suggests to me that the models used to predict climate are also becoming accurate enough that when they predict the climate is going to become wilder because of global warming, it's a pretty good bet they're right.

A couple of days ago, scientists from China predicted that by 2100, Russia and other countries of the Northern Hemisphere will face catastrophic climatic changes. Summer will last six months. And I just live in a region of Russia where in the summer it is ALREADY more than 40 degrees Celsius in the shade, mmm... something like Texas :) It's good that I won't live to see 2100 :)
https://phys.org/news/2021-03-northern- ... -year.html

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Flash wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:10 am

Grey, 40 years ago, forecasting the weather was not much better than 50/50. It has become amazingly accurate in the last several decades. This suggests to me that the models used to predict climate are also becoming accurate enough that when they predict the climate is going to become wilder because of global warming, it's a pretty good bet they're right.

That's true. But you've left out an important factor concerning inaccurate weather reports. 40 years ago, as a condition for obtaining a license to use the 'Public Airways', broadcasters had to devote a percentage of the daily content to actual news, under the direction of a news department operating under recognized standards of journalism. Today, those news departments are subordinate to Entertainment divisions. Their budget depends on ratings, translating into revenue to the broadcaster. Threats that 'You may face two feet of snow during rush hour' are more exciting and draw higher ratings than 'The heavy snow is very likely to miss your location'.
We don't remember the mundane. We remember the exciting, even as we associate it with 'false news' from an unreliable source.

Grey

Re: How to fix conky? (solved)

Post by Grey »

Once upon a time, in slightly better times, there was an agricultural aviation airfield on the outskirts of my town. A huge number of the Antonov An-2 aircraft aka "corn crop duster" were used to spray the fields with chemicals.
So, at the airfield there was a weather service that without any computers, using special balloons and slide rule calculations, determined the weather with incredible accuracy.
This data was fresh and local and therefore accurate. And since one of the relatives usually worked there, the whole town knew the most accurate weather forecast :)

Sky Aisling

Post by Sky Aisling »

Hello Everyone, @Flash
I'm setting up a F96-CE Fossapup that Radky just released on the 30th. of this January.
I want to take the Conky widget off the main page.
How do I do that?
Thank you in advance,
Sky

Conky Widget.png
Conky Widget.png (96.55 KiB) Viewed 618 times
Sky Aisling

Post by Sky Aisling »

Opppps! Never mind! I found the solution! There is a 'stop' button in the Conky box. Duh!
Sky

spiritwild

Post by spiritwild »

I just added this linefor simple weather. it's been constant for years now. It use to show icons like rain,sun etc
but I removed that feature because it was redundant

${font Mallige:size=20}${alignc}${color yellow}${execi 300 /root/scripts/weather.sh 47711}

Although, I still use conky 1.8 with conky.conf so I don't know what changes the later version
may require in ,conkyrc or whatever

The weather.sh script contents=

#!/bin/sh
#AccuWeather (r) RSS weather tool for conky
#
#USAGE: weather.sh <locationcode>
#
#(c) Michael Seiler 2007

METRIC=0 #Should be 0 or 1; 0 for F, 1 for C

if [ -z $1 ]; then
echo
echo "USAGE: weather.sh <locationcode>"
echo
exit 0;
fi

curl -s http://rss.accuweather.com/rss/liveweat ... ocCode\=$1 | perl -ne 'if (/Currently/) {chomp;/\<title\>Currently: (.*)?\<\/title\>/; print "$1"; }'

Return to “Fossapup64”