Pinta doesn't work at all [SOLVED]

Moderators: 666philb, Forum moderators

Makarovnik

Pinta doesn't work at all [SOLVED]

Post by Makarovnik »

Pinta is one of those programs I just can't live without. It installs with no missing dependencies but does absolutely nothing when I run it. I tried installing .Deb via puppy package manager, nothing. Next I tried the old .sfs and it also does nothing. I have no clue as to what's going on. Maybe a runtime problem?

Last edited by Makarovnik on Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I dreamed I was Hitler; ruler of the sea, ruler of the universe, ruler of the supermarket. - Poly Styrene

Grey

Re: Pinta doesn't work at all

Post by Grey »

Yes, I remember the problem. Pinta uses Mono and related libraries. If you install Pinta from PPM, see if Mono is installed.
And it is likely that Mono libraries are installed in your /usr/lib/cli/ folder and Pinta does not see them. I solved the problem by making 7 links to these libraries - from /usr/lib/cli/ folder to /usr/lib/pinta/ folder. Like so:

pinta.png
pinta.png (49.91 KiB) Viewed 537 times
cli.png
cli.png (32.51 KiB) Viewed 537 times

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

Makarovnik

Post by Makarovnik »

Thanks but I set up the links exactly like yours but no go. Are you using fossapup64? I might have to look for a different distro. I can't deal with gimp or mt paint. They just aren't intuitive and don't work the way they should. Seems lazpaint worked ok so I will try that before giving up the pup.

I dreamed I was Hitler; ruler of the sea, ruler of the universe, ruler of the supermarket. - Poly Styrene

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Welcome to Linux software :shock: :roll: :lol:
Sometime it turns into a hunting trip through the internet!!!

This runs with no problem in my install of Fossapup64 9.5

Here is a appimage of Pinta
https://apprepo.de/appimage/pinta
Download the Pinta.appimage file to anyplace you want to.
Right click on it and go to properties.
Give it exec permissions.

Left click on the Pinta.appimage file to run it.

Screenshot(1).jpg
Screenshot(1).jpg (30.85 KiB) Viewed 524 times

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

Grey

Post by Grey »

Makarovnik wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:55 am

Are you using fossapup64?

Yes, fossapup64. Try appimage as bigpup advises, there are all libraries inside.

Also take a look at the Photoflare editor, which tries to resemble the PhotoFiltre editor from Windows:
https://photoflare.io/
You can get a .deb working on fossapup64 here:
https://launchpad.net/~photoflare/+arch ... lter=focal

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

Makarovnik

Post by Makarovnik »

Thanks guys that worked like a charm and is portable so I don't have to incorporate this in my pupsave file. The only problem I saw was some of the sub menu fonts in the portable version are deformed a little but legible. I turned antialiasing on inside puppy but that had no effect. Prolly because it's a portable app. I also have been using the lazpaint.pet which is very usable.

I've never liked the way gimp works and lately have been unable to move images that are pasted in. The floating just doesn't work on my system.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@Makarovnik :-

The G.I.M.P's something of an acquired taste. Same as Photoshop....

I've been using an older version of Photoshop CS2 alongside the GIMP for years, and have become so handy with both of them I can switch back & forth, and barely notice the difference. However, with graphic design being a long-standing hobby of mine, I'm willing to try out every graphics app I can get my hands on.....and unlike some, have no issues with using Windoze stuff alongside Linux apps. For me, it's all about the right tool for the job. Some Windoze apps are just better than their Linux counterparts. Some Linux stuff blows Windoze into the weeds.

I don't discriminate....and have wanted to give Pinta a 'test-run' for long enough, but could never find a version that would work with Puppy. So; thanks to bigpup for digging this one up, even though it's an 'alpha' release.

We'll see how it goes. (And thanks too, to Grey for PhotoFlare.)

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

Return to “Fossapup64”