Failed to sign in to your Chrome account

Moderators: 666philb, Forum moderators

leonid

Failed to sign in to your Chrome account

Post by leonid »

Failed to sign in to your Chrome account. What to do?
Fossapup64-9.5

Attachments
chrome .png
chrome .png (117.27 KiB) Viewed 548 times
thinkpadfreak

Re: Failed to sign in to your Chrome account

Post by thinkpadfreak »

Hello.

How did you get and install Chrome? Is it an sfs package? Is it an official deb package?

I have heard that you will fail to log in to gmail if "--test-type" option is added to the command to start Chrome.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@leonid :-

Right. Now then:-

What exact version of the browser? Is it bang up-to-date.....or is it a couple of versions or more old? I ask, because although old versions of Chrome will keep working, Google are becoming very fussy about you only accessing your a/c via an up-to-date release; if you're more than one release behind these days, you can forget about signing-in to a Google a/c.....the browser just won't let you.

EDIT:- Actually, if it's one of MY packages, then thinkpadfreak could be right. I DID use the "--test-type" switch in my builds for a while - to suppress the annoying notification bar from appearing every time, since "--disable-infobars" appears to now be deprecated. We discussed this a while back, and certain people mentioned they couldn't sign-in to their Google a/c until that particular "--switch" was removed from the launch wrapper-script. THEN, everything worked again....

EDIT2:- Ah, no; that's Chromium, isn't it? From the repo? You'd better ask Phil about that one...I've never touched Chromium. It's one I don't build, for the simple reason that somebody else does.

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

leonid

Post by leonid »

thinkpadfreak wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:25 am

Hello.

How did you get and install Chrome? Is it an sfs package? Is it an official deb package?

I have heard that you will fail to log in to gmail if "--test-type" option is added to the command to start Chrome.

Chromium 83.0.4103.106
--test-type how to make?

Wiz57

Post by Wiz57 »

Could also be an early manifestation of coming Google attractions! (Another reason not to use Google)

https://www.zdnet.com/article/google-cu ... c-service/

https://www.zdnet.com/article/linux-dis ... trictions/

Wiz

Signature available upon request

thinkpadfreak

Post by thinkpadfreak »

@leonid
I assume that you installed Chromium (not Chrome) from Fossapup64 repository.

Try starting Chromium with the following command and see if you can log in to gmail:

Code: Select all

# /usr/lib/chromium-browser/chrome --no-sandbox

You will get a message about security when Chromium starts, but simply cancel/close the message window.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@Wiz57 :-

Wiz57 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:45 pm

Could also be an early manifestation of coming Google attractions! (Another reason not to use Google)

https://www.zdnet.com/article/google-cu ... c-service/

https://www.zdnet.com/article/linux-dis ... trictions/

Wiz

.....except that if you DO, that effectively means Firefox or nothing for us. And if Mozilla decide to "pull the plug" (entirely possible, since it seems the browser is only keeping its head above water due to funding they get FROM Google for using their search engine as the default), then where does that leave us?

Browsers are the "glue" that hold on-line communities together. Without them, communities can't exist.....unless you want to go back to the dinosaur days of IRC.

Or everybody uses a 64-bit Puppy, and runs Chrome. Or 'UnGoogled Chromium'; Google have no issues with this, because it's had all their APIs & stuff deliberately stripped-out of it.....so Big Bruvva's happy.

Face it; Mozilla & Chromium, between them, have been covering all the 'usable' Linux bases for quite a while now. And not everybody LIKES Firefox, I'm afraid. I can't see YOU being too happy, either, since you only run 32-bit Pups, from the look of it....am I right?

Me, I have no preferences one way OR the other. I'll switch to all 64-bit Pups, and run Chrome AND Firefox.

And maybe Edge..! :lol: (I don't see Google cutting THEM out of the loop.....do you?)

Mike. ;)

Wiz57

Post by Wiz57 »

@mikewalsh
Yep, for the time being I'm stuck on 32 bit Pups...I might be able to run a 64 bit Pup on my
Compaq Presario CQ62 laptop (currently runs Win7Ultimate 32 bit, and if booted to Puppy
it's via USB thumb drive with ScPup32). As for the unGoogled chromium, I was under the
impression that those APIs were still in it? Haven't looked myself...but it seems a lot of
the 3rd party developers that use chromium have been using those APIs to access Google
Sync and other services. On Win7, I started using MS Edge a few months back, the one
based on chromium...the APIs seem to be there, but MS uses them to sign into MS services,
which thankfully I don't have to to use it! But the little icon/button are always there whenever
I visit a MS sponsored site like MSN. That CQ62 also has Firefox ESR...I kept it on there so
my wife could do what she likes on her login...even though it will crash sometimes, she
has gotten more accustomed to FF, so as the saying goes "happy wife, happy life"!
Wiz :thumbup2:

Signature available upon request

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Hiya, Wiz.

I don't think it'll affect that many of us as it seems.

From what I can see of it, reading ZDnet's aricle (esp. the 2nd one), it's the 'Sync' API that's the 'biggie'; most of the other APIs mentioned are linked into that. I used to sync all my browsers together.....until I began to realize that it was silly installing as many browsers as I ran Puppies. All consumes large amounts of space.....not that that's an issue for me, nowadays, but it's the principle of the thing, y'know?

Ever since I started using davids45's method of doing external 'installs' of common apps, sym-linked into each and every Pup at the appropriate places.....and latterly, the 'portable-browser' concept, where you can share a single portable between multiple Puppies, I haven't bothered with 'Sync' for the best part of 5 years. I can still do what I need to; I can still sign-in to a Google a/c, and access my Drive; I can still watch NetFlix; I can still create 'app' windows that open independent of the browser itself. None of these are dependent on 'Sync'.....and for the very few times I use other Google Apps, if I'm not in Chrome itself there's usually alternatives to be found out there on t'web. There's been an absolute explosion of web-apps/web 'functionality' inspired by desktop apps/clients this last couple of years. There's always a way round most things; it's simply a case of finding it.

And the Puppy community is nothing if not highly 'inventive', isn't it?? :lol: :lol:

We'll weather the changes. We always do.

As for 'UnGoogled Chromium', no; all those APIs are definitely stripped-out of it. You CAN still 'sign-in' to a Google a/c, but it has to be done manually.....or you can save log-in details to the browser's native password Manager. You can't use extensions like LastPass; despite being able to access the Google Store, nothing will in fact install. And so on, and so forth...

Mike. ;)

leonid

Post by leonid »

root# # /usr/lib/chromium-browser/chrome --no-sandbox
root# su
root# sudo
usage: sudo -h | -K | -k | -V
usage: sudo -v [-AknS] [-g group] [-h host] [-p prompt] [-u user]
usage: sudo -l [-AknS] [-g group] [-h host] [-p prompt] [-U user] [-u user]
[command]
usage: sudo [-AbEHknPS] [-C num] [-g group] [-h host] [-p prompt] [-T timeout]
[-u user] [VAR=value] [-i|-s] [<command>]
usage: sudo -e [-AknS] [-C num] [-g group] [-h host] [-p prompt] [-T timeout]
[-u user] file ...
root#

thinkpadfreak

Post by thinkpadfreak »

leonid wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:42 am

root# # /usr/lib/chromium-browser/chrome --no-sandbox

I meant:

Code: Select all

root# /usr/lib/chromium-browser/chrome --no-sandbox

Puppy is running as root (administrator). su or sudo is unnecessary.

Return to “Fossapup64”