Conky for Fossapup and converting the config file to a new Lua-like format

Moderators: 666philb, Forum moderators

Grey

Conky for Fossapup and converting the config file to a new Lua-like format

Post by Grey »

Subj. Fossapup has this Conky version on board: "1.10.8 for Linux 4.4.0-176-generic x86_64". Apparently it was not compiled in Fossa itself. And for some reason it uses the old conkyrc file storage format.
If I run a script /root/Startup/conkystart in terminal, I see a syntax error message (it's old syntax):

conky_error.png
conky_error.png (78.52 KiB) Viewed 953 times

I had to do something about it. I have compiled the latest Conky (1.11.6) in Fossapup. Here it is in .pet format:
https://yadi.sk/d/A5aIxI4USl4Zog
Installed. Now we need to convert /root/conkyrc to new Lua-like format. Go to the /usr/local/share/doc/conky-1.11.6_pre folder and make convert.lua script executable (right mouse button >> Permissions). Note: Lua is required, so if you don't already have it, install from PPM. Then execute in terminal:

Code: Select all

/usr/local/share/doc/conky-1.11.6_pre/convert.lua /root/conkyrc conkyrc_new

Rename conkyrc to conkyrc_old. Rename conkyrc_new to conkyrc
In the resulting conkyrc file, find the line "own_window_type" and remove one extra equal sign and one space.
It was wrong:
own_window_type = '= desktop',
It became correct:
own_window_type = 'desktop',

I didn't delete the built-in version of Conky just in case. Therefore, we modify the file /root/Startup/conkystart.
Change the line conky -c /root/conkyrc & to /usr/local/bin/conky -c /root/conkyrc &

Launch Menu >> System >> Conky. I removed the daemon start from it and now /root/Startup/conkystart is used.
We look at the terminal and now there are no errors:

conky_no_error.png
conky_no_error.png (42.53 KiB) Viewed 953 times

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

lizardidi

Re: Conky for Fossapup and converting the config file to a new Lua-like format

Post by lizardidi »

thanks!!!

:thumbup2:

Jasper

Re: Conky for Fossapup and converting the config file to a new Lua-like format

Post by Jasper »

Hi Grey

I was wondering if you point out my errors in following your steps?

I downloaded your Pet file but did not know which version of LUA to install from the PPM.

I did compile a Pet file that I need for VLC which had the same name but this does not appear to work.

Conky celebrates it's 9th birthday and I was wondering why all builds appear to have the same conkyrc configuration file.

Decided to have a change for myself and found a lot of scripts available on the net to try out.

Your help would be appreciated, I know this is an old thread :lol:

**EDIT**
Updated Conky here for Fossapup64_9.5 viewtopic.php?p=74110#p74110

Return to “Fossapup64”