Localization of Fossapup64

Moderators: 666philb, Forum moderators

thinkpadfreak

Localization of Fossapup64

Post by thinkpadfreak »

Hello.

I am afraid that remastering puppy is becoming more and more difficult.
So far I have made Japanized ISOs of tahrpup, xenialpup and bionicpup64 with remasterpup2.

tahrpup ... No problem
xenialpup ... At first boot, /root/.xinitrc is reset. It is necessary to avoid this in order to run Japanese input system.
bionicpup64 ... The same as xenialpup. And /etc/keymap is not reflected when xorg.conf is generated. A workaround is necessary.
fossapup64 ... At first boot, PuppyPin is overwritten. A workaround is necessary. And something is wrong with keyboard setting. The remastered ISO is incomplete.

After all, as for fossapup64, I have made an Japanized ISO by making use of a new adrv containing files related to Japanese, renaming the original adrv as ydrv. /etc/keymap is not reflected. So a workaround is necessary.
(Edit: To generate xorg.conf with a setting for the Japanese keyboard layout, I edited xorg-autoconf.)
Also it is necessary to avoid PuppyPin being overwritten. I got a hint from the post:
viewtopic.php?p=8371#p8371

In another thread, localization of puppy is discussed. However, as I stated above, there are changes in specifications of puppy, which make it difficult to localize puppy.

Last edited by thinkpadfreak on Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clarity

Re: Localization of Fossapup64

Post by Clarity »

Curiously, have you seen this thread's post under Multilingual Spoken Startup...

It seems to apply in a small yet way that would be of interest in your work.

thinkpadfreak

Post by thinkpadfreak »

Clarity wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:22 pm

Curiously, have you seen this thread's post under Multilingual Spoken Startup...

It seems to apply in a small yet way that would be of interest in your work.

Thank you for the information.
I gave the .pet a try and it worked. (The translation by google is not always perfect, and I was amused by part of the translation.)

What I am aiming at is a localized ISO which, at first boot, is capable of inputting Japanese with the Japanese keyboard layout, with the desktop and menus translated into Japanese. I managed to make it, but I would like to point out that some changes in specifications of puppy make it difficult to localize puppy.

charlie6

Re: Localization of Fossapup64 / keyboard locale setting not kept in pupsave

Post by charlie6 »

Hi,
here running Fossapup64 + frugal pupsave.4fs from an external usb memory stick.
locale = fr_ BE , keyboard= belgian be (be-latin1 in /etc/keymap)

Upon each bootup, the keyboard setting "belgian" is gone and replaced by the "us" default one; even when the session is saved.
Xorg.conf is each time "reseted" to keyboard "us"; and here have to upon each bootup set the First Run settings to keyboard belgian.

I tried to put the file /root/Startup/disabled/keyboardlayoutfix into the /root/Startup/ directory
according to the post http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 780#988780 (thanks to forum member bigpup) without success.
The script keyboardlayoutfix cannot run as there are missing scripts in Fossapup94 (just run keyboardlayoutfix from a terminal, or open keyboardlayoutfix with geany to know which sripts are missing): /usr/local/apps/XkbConfigurationManager/XkbApplyNow script is missing
Digging a bit more in it, that script seems to care more about the keyboard layout than ab the locales setting.
out
I also believe there is another fix than the above given thinkpadfreak's fix.

Thanks for any help, Charlie

foxpup

Post by foxpup »

Bonjour @charlie6, using the same keyboard here ;)
You can use the command keymap-set.

Code: Select all

keymap-set be

Put it in a script in /root/Startup and make it executable, you know how :)

charlie6

Post by charlie6 »

Bonjour @Foxpup!
SOLVED
putting the below script in /root/Startup fixes the issue!

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
keymap-set be

tons of thanks to you!
Charlie

thinkpadfreak

Post by thinkpadfreak »

From the conversation between charlie6 and foxpup, it seems that keymap-set is not executed by default and that /etc/keymap is not reflected.

It seems to me that, up to xenialpup, /etc/keymap was reflected to set up the keyboard layout. When we remastered puppy, there was nothing special to do with regard to the keyboard layout.

I would like to know the reason why /etc/keymap is not reflected in recent puppies (bionicpup64 and fossapup64).

Return to “Fossapup64”