Moderators: 666philb, Forum moderators

bigpup

freezing and crashes seem to be linked to update of Pale Moon

Post by bigpup »

Fossapup64 9.5
Frugal + save folder
Full updated by Quickpet fossapup updates

After Updating Pale Moon browser to v 28.14.2
Started getting freezing and crashes with doing things in general not just using the browser.
Reported here:
viewtopic.php?p=7259#p7259

Rolling the browser back to v 28.13.0 seems to fix it.
But not sure if something in the fossapup updates could also be interacting with the newer version 28.14.2 of Pale Moon.

Pale Moon being the main default browser for Fossapup64.
Figured it needed to be reported here also.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

bigpup

Re: freezing and crashes seem to be linked to update of Pale Moon

Post by bigpup »

I updated Pale Moon 28.13.0 by going directly to the 28.14.2 update.

Seems that this is not having issues.

28.14.2 was suppose to be a quick fix for freezing and crashing in 28.14.1.

Maybe not ever getting the 28.14.1 works.

Using this setup now.
See how it goes!

Forum Global Moderator

LateAdopter

Post by LateAdopter »

Hello bigpup
bigpup wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:56 am Maybe not ever getting the 28.14.1 works.
I get desktop freezing with FP64 when running on my Intel Braswell N3150 SoC system.
I haven't updated Palemoon., and I am using the Intel driver, not Modesetting.

The freezing has happened when dragging a directory window in Rox without other applications running. It also happens in Palemoon but not in Vivaldi.

When the desktop is frozen the xserver and applications haven't crashed and still receive mouse and keyboard input. In Palemoon I clicked on some links in the frozen view and, after restarting, Palemoon had them in the history list.
Also if I right click the desktop and do: up arrow, enter (exit) the title bar appears with Puppy Log Out, but the rest of the dialogue box does not appear. If I press enter, then FP64 reboots which is the invisible selected button.

I assume that it is a GTK problem since Vivaldi doesn't cause the freeze and it uses QT

I have reverted to Bionicpup64 which works perfectly on the same system.
mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@bigpup/LateAdopter:-

Guys, I think you'll find it's nothing to do with Pale Moon itself, OR the X-server. When I started playing around with this a couple of weeks ago, I noticed a humungous 'lag' between dragging ROX windows and owt actually happening on-screen. Phil advised installing the Nvidia driver package for my GT 710, and that's effectively fixed it.

Phil tells me the main issue here is the compositor itself; nothing to do with the rest of the display software. He's had no end of issues trying to get it to behave itself.

My 'portable' Pale Moon v28.14.2 seems to be working OK for me in FP64, since installing the proprietary GPU driver...."fingers crossed".

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

You know!
If all computers would work the same way,
How easy it would be :roll: :thumbup2:

All I can do is report what I am seeing and what I did that seemed to fix it.

Forum Global Moderator

LateAdopter

Post by LateAdopter »

Hello Mike
mikewalsh wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:11 am Phil tells me the main issue here is the compositor itself; nothing to do with the rest of the display software. He's had no end of issues trying to get it to behave itself.
Mike. ;)
I don't have the compositor running. That's one of the things that I remove from Startup as soon as I install FP64 (unless it's started from somewhere else as well, that I haven't found). I also add a .conf file to switch to the Intel driver.

Since MPV 32 is broken on my Braswell SoC too: it takes at least FIVE TIMES the processing power to decode h.264 video in software than MPV 27.2 does on BionicPup64. I suspect it's because the display driver stack has been contaminated with all of the 10bit stuff that Braswell can't handle and the developers haven't tested on an Intel 8bit GPU.

I suspect that wm4 has ploughed up the code path needed needed to play ordinary 8bit h.264 on an ordinary Intel 8bit GPU. It must have picked a bizarre code path that has never been tested. If I have vaapi or vaapi-copy and turn on de-interlacing, the whole system freezes after a minute or two and requires a hard power off.

When running FP64 on my Athlon 3000G, I haven't seen any lag or freeze of Rox, but I don't use Palemoon on that box. MPV works OK on that box too, with or without vaapi. But the Athlon 3000G has native 10bit support.
TIFTAF

Post by TIFTAF »

Hi.
After installing Fossapup I downloaded ( palemoon-28.15.0.linux-i686.tar.xz ) to “Downloads”, copied the tar-file to /opt and expanded it.
Since Palemoon did not open after clicking on the desktop icon I rebooted and found out that Palemoon does indeed not work anymore.

To make sure that it was not a “link" issue I opened /opt/palemoon and moved Palemoon executable icon to the desktop and clicked on it with no success. Re-booting did also bring no success.

So, I removed Palemoon from Fossapup and expanded palemoon-28.14.2.linux-i686.tar.xz in sdb1, then
moved the exec file to the desktop and clicked on it. No success.

Can somebody tell me please, what I did wrong.
I have used that method of updating Palemoon since ancient versions.
Thanks for your help.
Ulrich

666philb

Post by 666philb »

TIFTAF wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:30 am

Hi.
After installing Fossapup I downloaded ( palemoon-28.15.0.linux-i686.tar.xz ) to “Downloads”, copied the tar-file to /opt and expanded it.
Since Palemoon did not open after clicking on the desktop icon I rebooted and found out that Palemoon does indeed not work anymore.

To make sure that it was not a “link" issue I opened /opt/palemoon and moved Palemoon executable icon to the desktop and clicked on it with no success. Re-booting did also bring no success.

So, I removed Palemoon from Fossapup and expanded palemoon-28.14.2.linux-i686.tar.xz in sdb1, then
moved the exec file to the desktop and clicked on it. No success.

Can somebody tell me please, what I did wrong.
I have used that method of updating Palemoon since ancient versions.
Thanks for your help.
Ulrich

hi @TIFTAF
the reason the one that you downloaded doesn't work is that it's the 32bit version! fossapup is 64bit
BTW palemoon now includes its own updater that get the latest palemoon for you .... palemoon >>help >>check for updates.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Reading the release notes for the update from 28.14.2 to 28.15.0, I forget precisely what it was, but something's been 'fixed' to stop freezing & crashing issues in the previous point release. So you may find that the current one works better now. Certainly, it seems to work OK for me, on the occasions when I use it.

Don't forget, 32-bit Pale Moon reaches the end of the road this month. From December onwards, Pale Moon will be just like many other Linux apps.....64 bit ONLY. Pale Moon 29 is, I believe, imminent.....because I think you'll find they want to start the new version off with a clean slate, unencumbered by the need for compiling 32-bit binaries any more.

We'll have to try and find another lightweight 32-bit browser that actually works across the web in the way that Pale Moon has done the past few years. Because if we can't, a lot of Puppians with older hardware are going to be SCREWED. Modern Chromium clones are way too heavy for elderly hardware, and even 'zilla-based browsers are getting to be the same way. And many of the 'lightweight' browsers seem to be very limited in what they can actually do.....

None of which is in fact the fault of the browsers themselves, of course. It's just the way of the world.....or should I say, the way of the current, bloated, data-hungry world-wide web. :roll:

Mike. ;)

Last edited by mikewalsh on Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

01101001b

Post by 01101001b »

Hi mike!

mikewalsh wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:10 am

We'll have to try and find another lightweight 32-bit browser that actually works across the web [...]

Good luck with that ;)
Same problem I had when Opera 12.18 was discontinued. I've been searching for a solution for years and found none. Pale moon was the least worst evil.
"And now the end is near and so I face the final curtain", I guess. To endure using Pale moon 32bit last version until it works no more.
But hey! Even to this very day there's people using winXP, so life after death is possible after all 8-)

Remember The Matrix!
-You need 64bit browsers to survive!
-There are levels of survival we are prepared to accept 8-)

Regards!

''Most people make the mistake of thinking design is what it looks like [...] It's not [...]. Design is how it works.'' -- Steve Jobs

galbi

Post by galbi »

Are you prepared to surprised?

Try k-meleon browser (32 bits) https://o.rthost.win/kmeleon/KM76.3.1-G ... 0201031.7z under Wine.

:mrgreen:
I throw the grenade and run away

:thumbup:

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

This is not the thread to continue discussions of the future of 32-bit web-browsers. But, seamokey, itself, is still publishing them. And for whatever reason my experience is that they are less resource demanding than palemoon.

TIFTAF

Post by TIFTAF »

Hi.
to 666philb
&
to mikewalsh

thank you for your reply. I will check it out.
Ulrich

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

galbi wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:56 pm

Are you prepared to surprised?

Try k-meleon browser (32 bits) https://o.rthost.win/kmeleon/KM76.3.1-G ... 0201031.7z under Wine.

:mrgreen:
I throw the grenade and run away

I did..!! (A couple of years ago.....and quickly wished I hadn't.)

Man, that is one weird browser... :roll:

Mike. Image

TIFTAF

Post by TIFTAF »

hi @TIFTAF
the reason the one that you downloaded doesn't work is that it's the 32bit version! fossapup is 64bit
BTW palemoon now includes its own updater that get the latest palemoon for you .... palemoon >>help >>check for updates.

Hi 666philb.
Thank you for your advice.

galbi

Post by galbi »

mikewalsh wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:48 pm

I did..!! (A couple of years ago.....and quickly wished I hadn't.)

Man, that is one weird browser... :roll:

@mikewalsh My answer is off topic so it's here: viewtopic.php?f=90&t=1261

Return to “Fossapup64”