i'm finally fed up with Fossapup's problems.

Moderators: 666philb, Forum moderators

boof

i'm finally fed up with Fossapup's problems.

Post by boof »

i've used fossapup64-9.5 for abt 2 trs, and it's been horrible from the begining. florence keeps minimising after so many [x] keystrokes, kmag keeps randomly minimising on new windows, and my text fonts in thunderbird beta and style in libre office are too small/fine. thunderbird is useless as changes are not persitent nor global. my eyes hurt and i'm fed up with things that don't work. i'd be better off with bionic32. firefox and chrome keep dropping out of X when streaming. i do not know enough to sort it, but this ONLY happens in fossapup64-9.5. i've NEVER had this in any other puppy. it seems to have some system error? pls advise where X logs located, and i'll post them.
edit #1
if i use an earlier tb, can i use mozilla backup to backwards preserve my configuration? how far back do i go to get a fix, before they buggered it, and can i stop auto updates?
edit#2
neither florence nor kmag will lock window size, jumps to full screen if clck the top bar, which i have colured green to see it.
thx.

sonny

Re: pls, this hurts. and i'm finally fed up.

Post by sonny »

boof wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:27 pm

i've used fossapup64-9.5 for abt 2 trs, and it's been horrible from the begining. florence keeps minimising after so many [x] keystrokes, kmag keeps randomly minimising on new windows, and my text fonts in thunderbird beta and style in libre office are too small/fine. thunderbird is useless as changes are not persitent nor global. my eyes hurt and i'm fed up with things that don't work. i'd be better off with bionic32. firefox and chrome keep dropping out of X when streaming. i do not know enough to sort it, but this ONLY happens in fossapup64-9.5. i've NEVER had this in any other puppy. it seems to have some system error? pls advise where X logs located, and i'll post them.
edit #1
if i use an earlier tb, can i use mozilla backup to backwards preserve my configuration? how far back do i go to get a fix, before they buggered it, and can i stop auto updates?
edit#2
neither florence nor kmag will lock window size, jumps to full screen if clck the top bar, which i have colured green to see it.
thx.

Regarding 'virtual keyboard' FLORENCE, have you tried the one that came with fossapup64 called XVKBD?

1. Go to /usr/share/applications
  2. Right-click on a file called "xvkbd.desktop"
  3. On the shortcut menu, choose "open As Text" or "Geany"
  4. On the 4th line, edit to look like this: Exec=xvkbd -geometry 1024x260+560+700
  5. Save it
  6. Try to run the app "xvkbd"
  7. Close it and retry it
mikewalsh

Re: pls, this hurts. and i'm finally fed up.

Post by mikewalsh »

Oh, boy. I really don't know quite what TO say.....except that in almost a decade with this community I've never seen anyone amass such a collection of problems as you have. We're all aware by now that you have a laundry-list of very particular, specific requirements that you SAY is related to a disability?

Be that as it may, much of this points to a dodgy download/install in the first place. The only way you're going to "fix" this is going to be by way of a fresh download, followed by a brand-new install from scratch.

It's very hard to give advice when much of what you post often doesn't make a lot of sense.....compounded by the fact that you rarely follow advice, and usually go your own sweet way about things, completely ignoring suggestions and apparently convinced that you know best.... I'm frankly amazed you bother asking for help as much as you do!

(I'm sorry if any other members are offended by this post, but honestly, somebody's got to say it..!) :shock:

(shrug...)

Mike. Image

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

boof

Re: i'm finally fed up with Fossapup's problems.

Post by boof »

thanks, i prefer florence, despite its difficulties as its much easier to read, i will tray a fresh install, which i've done before. i have no understanding of what i'm doing, or the consequences of my actions. all i know is it doesn't work the way it should. i can't imagine a persistent download error for just me, because others shoud be complaining too. that points to an hardware error. i will download a new iso, and run memtester, in the hope it is faulty. i need more memory anyway, and this could be useful time to upgrade. i have roaches and haven't opened the box yet. can anyone point me to the shared memory map by these programs or the os, so i know where to look, pls?

i tend to post first, and think later, which i need to reign in. i'm sorry i offend you, your minds are better and more educated than mine, and i cannot fix this myself. memtester does what i think i need, just need guidance where to aim it. and memtest86 doesn't work, tho installed. i assume its 32 bit? no 32bit compatibility utiliy.
thx for your longsuffering patience.

Last edited by boof on Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
bigpup

Post by bigpup »

With all the improvements and fixes, that have been done to Woof-CE build system.
Along with improvements to how Puppy works.

Fossapup64 9.5 is showing it's age.
It will not have any of these improvements, fixes, etc....

So may be time to move up to a newer Puppy version.

Even F96-CE_4 is a much improved update of Fossapup64 9.5

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

boof

Post by boof »

thx for the suggestion, i will prove my machine before i upgrade, that seems wise to me.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@boof :-

i tend to post first, and think later, which i need to reign in. i'm sorry i offend you, your minds are better and more educated than mine, and i cannot fix this myself...

...thx for your longsuffering patience.

Heh.

I'm fairly sure you haven't offended ANYBODY here. You certainly don't offend ME. My comment was there because sometimes, other members have in the past complained about things that I've posted................I'm a blunt, no-nonsense Yorkshireman who tends to speak his mind, and in this modern, politically-correct world where nobody is allowed to upset anybody else, some take exception to what I post.

All of us are here because we either need help ourselves, or because we find we enjoy helping others. But you don't make it at all easy to help you, mate...

Can I make a couple of suggestions? Before posting about a problem, it's probably best if you:-

• Stop for a moment. Take your time, and think about what it is that you want to say/ask about
  • Give us a few basic specs, so that we have some idea of what we're dealing with (Make, model, CPU, amount of RAM.....that kind of thing always helps)

Also, given your admitted tendency to post without thinking, try doing what I know some other members here do; use something like Geany or Leafpad (really, any text editor will do) to compose your message first. Read it through frequently; does it make sense? Will others understand it? Make corrections as necessary, as you type. Try to imagine you're writing a public information document, and that it needs to be as clear and easy-to-understand as possible....

When you're happy with it, just copy/paste it into the message box before hitting "Submit". It does work; I nearly always do something similar myself.

Remember; we get just as frustrated when we can't work out what it IS that somebody needs help with.

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

boof

Post by boof »

thanks, good advice, I'll try to follow it.
update
went to officeworks and got them to download and install a bionicpup64 on a usb stick. system is working again.
will keep bionic for emergencies.
bought 2x 16GB 3000 [2666 min spec] RAM sticks for desktop as NOS at good price. will clean pc and install sat. I have a new rehargable mouse coming, i hope it's lipo, or li-on as nimh voltage drop causes problems from abt 50% discharge. v imprecise key detections, then position probs. my brain slow to recognise it. i concede fossapup may be ok, just my machine bad. havent been able to memtest yet, but have the new puppy version downloaded.

Fossil

Post by Fossil »

@boof Perhaps it might be a good time to give details of your computer system? What is it specifically?
Hope the New Year brings relief from your computer problems.

stevie pup

Post by stevie pup »

I don't know whether it's my hardware or just me but I continue to use Fossa 9.5 simply because I don't get any of the problems I experience in newer Puppies. I've tried quite a few newer Puppies and often get issues with the initial boot, some take ages and one or two won't boot at all. Never had this with Fossa 9.5.

boof

Post by boof »

fossapup64-9.6 much improved, still some utilities not avail, but it appears to have stopped crashing out of X. claws mail does not work with yahoo? can't explain the difference, partic if it was only me. it's better, it may be fixed, but time will tell. thanks

trawglodyte

Post by trawglodyte »

I've only been training puppies for a few weeks, but FossaPup64_9.5 is my favorite one out of the 1/2 dozen or so I've had in the pound. I can't be more impressed with what these little buggers can do!

But, we'll see. I haven't asked much of them yet and they aren't my primary OS.

Like a monkey trying to fly a space-ship. What's this button do?
Like a 12-yr old trying to wire a house. Gonna get zapped!

sonny

Post by sonny »

FossaPup64-9.5, imo, is the best all-around version and foundation for my DARKPUPPY.
Just stick to whatever version that works best for you.

Return to “Fossapup64”