Double Commander reopens when it shouldn't

Moderator: Forum moderators

ConcreteGarlic

Double Commander reopens when it shouldn't

Post by ConcreteGarlic »

Hello everyone.

My Puppy is 'bionicpup64' DISTRO_VERSION=8.0. It is installed on the hard drive. I can't much change it now - somehow other things like wifi are working, and when I launched Fossa Puppy from USB, it had problems with connecting to the same wifi.

Background history:

I was using my netbook and Puppy from time to time only.
From some point in the past - I started to have problem with Xdelta difference manager (just like here: viewtopic.php?t=916). I tried to solve the problem, I remeber I got the Xdelta popup to dissapear for some time (I was recreating .desktop files), but somehow the popup appeared again after some time.
As I said - I did not use the netbook much, so it was not much important, and I just got used to those popup (at the moment it tires to manage some files from /etc/xdg/), leaving in on one of the virtual desktops.

However few weeks ago - my main PC just moved to Valhalla and I am suddenly left with a lot of docs to write, my netbook, and the Puppy only.
After some nice actions with making my old HP printer to work with Puppy - I decided to "tweak" some config in Puppy.
Tweaking is probably a much too big word - as I just used Default Application Chooser.

While I use mostly Double Commander as file manager - I changed just for test the default Xdelta_gui to this manager.
And I have noticed a lot of interesting things

What happens in general:

1. Double Commander is relaunched immediately I close it.
Just like neverending Xdelta popup. Just DC allows multiple instances so I end with 3-5 instances running.
2. DC is launched almost each time I want to change anything visual in the desktop
i.e. I can't change cyberdog wallpaper to anything else (I love the dog, but my kid is afraid of it) - apply button just launches another DC.
And I dont know where wallpaper file path is stored to change manualy (tried editin /root/.jwmrc config, but it did not help either)
3. DC is launched when I try to umount usb
4. Using any desktop icon - launches DC, which is obvious, but when trying to use umount green smal arrow - I get such error.

dc1.png
dc1.png (97.92 KiB) Viewed 796 times

And the USB is NOT umounted

I changed the default file manager (via Default App Chooser) back to Xdelta for the sake of images and errors, and this is that I get

1. when I try to umount usb from desktop icon green arrow:

xdelt1.png
xdelt1.png (11.96 KiB) Viewed 796 times

2. when I use terminal and sudo umount I get:

xdelt2.png
xdelt2.png (98.27 KiB) Viewed 796 times

and errors from terminal are:

Code: Select all

root# sudo umount /dev/sdb1 
umount-FULL: /media/usb: target is busy.

(gtkdialog:27381): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: 13:59:23.151: Two different plugins tried to register 'GLibProxyResolver'.

(gtkdialog:27381): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 13:59:23.151: g_type_add_interface_dynamic: assertion 'G_TYPE_IS_INSTANTIATABLE (instance_type)' failed

(gtkdialog:27381): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: 13:59:23.151: Tried to register an extension of the type (null) to extension point gio-proxy-resolver. Expected type is GProxyResolver.

(gtkdialog:27381): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: 13:59:23.152: Two different plugins tried to register 'GProxyResolverGnome'.

(gtkdialog:27381): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 13:59:23.153: g_type_add_interface_dynamic: assertion 'G_TYPE_IS_INSTANTIATABLE (instance_type)' failed

(gtkdialog:27381): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: 13:59:23.153: Tried to register an extension of the type (null) to extension point gio-proxy-resolver. Expected type is GProxyResolver.

(gtkdialog:27381): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: 13:59:23.170: Two different plugins tried to register 'GTlsBackendGnutls'.

(gtkdialog:27381): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 13:59:23.170: g_type_add_interface_dynamic: assertion 'G_TYPE_IS_INSTANTIATABLE (instance_type)' failed

(gtkdialog:27381): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: 13:59:23.170: Tried to register an extension of the type (null) to extension point gio-tls-backend. Expected type is GTlsBackend.

(gtkdialog:27381): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: 13:59:23.170: Two different plugins tried to register 'GTlsBackendGnutlsPkcs11'.

(gtkdialog:27381): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: 13:59:23.170: Tried to register an extension of the type (null) to extension point gio-tls-backend. Expected type is GTlsBackend.
EXIT=" Ok "
root# 

Before changing Default app to DC - sudo umount was working.
I mean - it did umount, though throwing that bunch of errors.

The target is busy - is probably because I had DC opened somewhere in desktops.

I tried to change window manager from JWM to anything else to check if it is X problem or JWM problem, but I don't have any options nowhere in JWM to select other window manager for after reboot (maybe I can't see it).

IDK if I think at right path - but something causes to run file managers as tools to save/change some config files, while it should not be done with file managers or none of their functionality. But this is thinking of new person to Linux, and probably wrong :)
I am forced to use netbook right now. It is old machine, and weak. And any app that takes resources - hinders my work, so I would be grateful for any help to ease my life :)

Questions are:
1. what can cause such mess with that Xdelta and DC restarting?
2. how to repair it :)? Did I messed with installing things? (I am using Puppy manager, but maybe I installed too much of software)

To be honest, I have basic knowledge of Puppy and Linux in general, though I am familiar with terminal tools. But I don't know where to start and what to check.

Any help appreciated :)

Edit:
Adding distro inf:

root# cat /etc/DISTRO_SPECS 
#One or more words that identify this distribution:
DISTRO_NAME='bionicpup64'
#version number of this distribution:
DISTRO_VERSION=8.0
#The distro whose binary packages were used to build this distribution:
DISTRO_BINARY_COMPAT='ubuntu'
#Prefix for some filenames: exs: bionicpup64save.2fs, bionicpup64-7.9.8.sfs
DISTRO_FILE_PREFIX='bionicpup64'
#The version of the distro whose binary packages were used to build this distro:
DISTRO_COMPAT_VERSION='bionic'
#read by /usr/bin/xwin to bypass Xorg Wizard at first boot:
DISTRO_XORG_AUTO='yes'
DISTRO_KERNEL_PET='Huge_Kernel'
DISTRO_DB_SUBNAME='bionic64'
WOOF_VERSION=8
DISTRO_TARGETARCH='x86_64'
BUILD_FROM_WOOF='testing;c3552eef;2019-02-25 04:50:55 +0800'
#Puppy default filenames...
#Note, the 'SFS' files below are what the 'init' script in initrd.gz searches for,
#for the partition, path and actual files loaded, see PUPSFS and ZDRV in /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE
DISTRO_PUPPYSFS='puppy_bionicpup64_8.0.sfs'
DISTRO_ZDRVSFS='zdrv_bionicpup64_8.0.sfs'
DISTRO_FDRVSFS='fdrv_bionicpup64_8.0.sfs'
DISTRO_ADRVSFS='adrv_bionicpup64_8.0.sfs'
DISTRO_YDRVSFS='ydrv_bionicpup64_8.0.sfs'
DISTRO_PUPPYDATE='Feb 2019'
#multiarch distros, such as Ubuntu, will have this. ex: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu, so DISTRO_ARCHDIR=i386-linux-gnu
DISTRO_ARCHDIR='x86_64-linux-gnu'

and computer spec:

-Komputer-
Procesor		: Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU N450   @ 1.66GHz
Pamięć		: 2032MB (627MB użyte)
Machine Type		: Notebook
System Operacyjny		: Bionicpup64 8.0
User Name		: root (root)
Date/Time		: wto, 30 maj 2023, 15:07:33
-Wyświetlania-
Resolution		: 1024x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer		: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Pineview M 
X11 Vendor		: The X.Org Foundation
-Audio Devices-
Audio Adapter		: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
-Urządzenia wejściowe-
 Power Button
 Sleep Button
 Lid Switch
 Power Button
 AT Translated Set 2 keyboard
 Logitech G510s Gaming Keyboard
 Logitech G510s Gaming Keyboard Consumer Control
 USB OPTICAL MOUSE
 SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad
 Acer WMI hotkeys
 Video Bus
 HDA Digital PCBeep
 HDA Intel Mic
 HDA Intel Headphone
 PC Speaker
 WebCam: WebCam
-Drukarki (CUPS)-
CUPS-PDF		: <i>Default</i>
HP_LaserJet_2
HP_LaserJet_4050_Series
-Dyski SCSI-
ATA ST9250827AS
USB SanDisk 3.2Gen1
mikeslr

Re: File Managers restarted (jwm? X? problem)

Post by mikeslr »

TBO, I don't have any earth-shaking ideas. But it appears no one else has; maybe --hopefully-- later. Reading your post my initial thought was all your problems begin with Xdelta difference manager, of which I know nothing except that if it’s not functioning properly or if it’s interfering with your applications or system I won’t know how to diagnose those problems and solve them. I can’t program my way out of a paper bag. I can only work with systems, re-imagine them, and suggest how they can be re-constructed to avoid problems.
I booted into a pristine Bionicpup64 and discovered Xdelta difference manager is a builtin. So it shouldn't malfunction. That suggests something else --perhaps something you installed or modified-- altered its behavior. The post you referred to about xdelta problems doesn't indicate a solution. Perhaps, running bionicpup64, there isn't one. But I have thought of a work-around while considering the more pressing problem: "I am suddenly left with a lot of docs to write, my netbook, and the Puppy only" and "neverending Xdelta popups".

Unfortunately, the work-around will require you to start from scratch, and operate in a manner different than you probably have been. Don't panic. Depending on what are your essential applications it may not take that long to get from where you are to where you want to be.
Step 1: Open Menu>Setup>Puppy Package Manager, Click the Uninstall button and take screenshots of what you've installed. The screenshots may help in a later diagnosis of what may be together with xdelta causes the unwanted behavior. But in the short term it will help you recall what applications you need and added.
Also Open Menu>Setup>SFS-Load and take a screenshot of any application you load.

Before proceeding to Step 2, I want to make certain you understand how Puppys work. You'll find the technical explanation in the Getting Started and System Requirements Section of the Forum. This is my layman's overview. Puppy's Original system (OOTB) copies READ-ONLY files from media into RAM. Any changes you make are preserved in a READ-Write file-system, your SaveFile or SaveFolder. Only the content of THAT READ-WRITE SaveFile/Folder can get screwed up. It is possible to create and use two other (invulnerable) READ-ONLY files-systems instead of or in addition to SaveFiles/Folders. It is also possible to have multiple SaveFile/Folders and on bootup choose which SaveFile/Folder to use, or boot without using any.

What the following will do is show you how to create those other READ-ONLY file-systems and boot without using a SaveFile/Folder and to boot using a SaveFile/Folder in such a way that any changes are only temporary unless you choose otherwise.

Step 2: File-browse to the partition on which your boot-loader is located. You are either using grub4dos or grub2. grub4dos creates a menu.lst; grub2 a grub.cfg file. Both are just text files. Mine, using grub2 looks like this:

menuentry 'Bionicpup64 8.0 OLD (sda3/bionic64O)'{
search --no-floppy --set=root --fs-uuid 39ff128d-806e-45a0-9c0c-4013859ec05d
linux /bionic64O/vmlinuz psubdir=/bionic64O pmedia=ataflash pfix=fsck,ram
initrd /bionic64O/initrd.gz
}
The important lines are the first (the title displayed on boot-up) and the line beginning with the term linux. Grub4dos's menu.lst would be very similar but it's title line is named something else --IIRC Title. It begins the third line with the term 'kernel' rather than 'linux'.

Your linux/kernel line probably reads something like this (with perhaps additional arguments):

linux /bionic64/vmlinuz psubdir=/bionic64 pmedia=atahd pfix=fsck

What I suggest you do is create an additional 'stanza/paragraph/menu-listing. Open the you file in a text editor, create a couple blank lines, copy your current stanza into that space, then edit that new stanza:
(1) A title you recognize as being the new version
(2) Edit the linux/kernal line to something like this (highlighted for emphasis only):
linux /bionic64/vmlinuz psubdir=/bionic64 pmedia=ataflash pfix=ram
pfix=ram tell Puppy to boot without using any SaveFile/Folder: that is into a pristine Puppy.

pmedia=ataflash lies to Puppy by telling it that the media it is on is a USB flash-drive. This is important because when so booted Puppy does NOT automatically write changes to a SaveFile/Folder. It places a “Save” icon on your desktop for you to manually instruct Puppy to Save. But you also have to make one other simple change to avoid automatic Saves. I’ll get to that as after you’ve created a new SaveFile/Folder.

Step 3: Boot into your new Puppy. Run thru First Run setting including configuring Wifi. Open Menu>Setup>Quickpet and Update it. Open Menu>Setup>Puppy Package Manager, configure it and Update it. Reboot taking the opportunity to create a SaveFile or SaveFolder, SaveFolder recommended.

You can not copy or move a SaveFile/Folder while it’s in use. That will generate errors.

Step 4: Again boot pfix=ram. Create a folder two levels deep (within Puppy’s Folder is OK) named Protect and copy your bionicpup64save into it. If anything ever goes wrong, you won’t have to start from scratch again. Just boot pfix=ram, delete your current Savefile/Folder and copy the one you’ve protected into its place.

From time to time, when you are certain that things you’ve added or changed haven’t created a problem you can again boot pfix=ram and copy the latest SaveFile/Folder into the Protect folder. Each SaveFile/Folder has to have a unique name. You just tack it on: bionicpup64save >
bionicpup64save-June1.

Step 5: Create another menu.lst/grub.cfg stanza so that one reflects No Saves and the other doesn’t. Edit pfix=ram to delete the ‘ram’ on the one which doesn’t. Reboot into your Puppy selecting the one using the Save.

Step 6: Immediately on bootup, open Menu>System>Puppy Event Manager, Click the Save Session’s Tab and change the Save interval to 0/zero. PUT a Check in the Ask at Shutdown box. Otherwise it doesn’t and automatically Saves. Click the Save icon on your desktop to manually save that change.

Now you are ready to start rebuilding your System. But the first thing I’d add to it is nicOS-Utilities Suite, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?t=1694. One of its components is “5: Save2SFS”. Using it, you can create either an adrv.sfs or a ydrv.sfs or both. These are the READ-ONLY File-Systems I mentioned above. The primary difference is that an adrv is the last to load into RAM, so its contents will have precedence over everything except those of a SaveFile/Folder and the current changes you’ve made.

Because Puppy thinks it is running from a USB-Key, those changes have not been written to your Storage media. But they exist in RAM and you can test those changes by executing a Menu>Leave/Exit>Restart Graphical Server (AKA X). Puppy re-catalogs what currently makes up its entire system.

You can create adrvs and ydrvs without ever having created a SaveFile/Folder. They copy whatever then exists in RAM including your settings and configurations, such as wifi’s. If you had a SaveFile/Folder when you create an adrv or ydrv, you no longer need to or should use that SaveFile/Folder. My preference is to boot pfix=ram, and move the SaveFile/Folder into the Protect Folder just in case I have to revert.

Creating an adrv or ydrv does NOT capture applications you have SFS-loaded; only the fact that they are.

The way I use adrvs and ydrs is that I preserve all applications I always want and expect never to replace, upgrade or change settings in a ydrv. Others I place in an adrv. The Save2SFS module enables you up replace and combine adrvs and ydrvs.

Whenever possible I use portable applications and SFSes. Portables exist outside of your Puppy System. MikeWalsh has provided many, in particular web-browsers with scripts to produce menu entries. These can be updated without changing any part of your system. SFSes may also be up-gradeable but –unless the new one has exactly the same name as the old-- would require a change.

I use a SaveFolder mainly to preserve which of the portables or SFSes I am using. But both types of applications can be started even if I’m not using a SaveFile/Folder.

The point of all or any of the above is that with adrvs, ydrvs, booting pfix=ram, or using a SaveFile/Folder where you can shut-down/reboot without preserving anything, whatever problems xdelta alone or in combination with some other application may cause will not be preserved.

The text above has been edited.

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Looking at your OP again, glib-object errors are being reported. Did you install some application which had among the files being installed glib libraries? IIRC, there was a pet associated with web-browsers which installed glib-schemas. If so, uninstall it*.

If the application isn't obvious, when you install a pet or deb a file is written listing each file contained in the pet/deb. Those package-content files used to be a hidden file under /root named ".packages" --note the "./dot". Left-Click Rox's 'Eye' to show hidden files. I think that by the time bionicpup64 was published /root/.packages had become a symbolic link to /var/packages. Wherever they are, they are just text files. You can file-browse to their location, Right-Click an empty space, select Window>Shell command from the pop-up menu and type pfind into its command box. pfind will open and you can select "Current directory" and plug 'glib', click the "Advanced" button and put an check in the Search Text in the file. pfind's report will show every file which shows that any file relating to glib was installed. When you open those files you'll see not only what was installed but the location it was installed to.

-=-=--
* Use one of MikeWalsh's portable web-browsers from here, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewforum.php?f=90. They are external to your SaveFile/Folder installing nothing unless you choose to have a menu entry. In that case, the only things they install are a pixmaps, a desktop file, and a symbolic link from your system to the executable in the portable folder.

ConcreteGarlic

Post by ConcreteGarlic »

mikeslr wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 10:00 pm

TBO, I don't have any earth-shaking ideas.(...)

I must write this - before I actually process your information.

Honestly - I am - in the most positive way possible - overhelmed by amount of informations and explanations given, the time and effort you did spend to write and will of help :thumbup2:

Thank you.

(I'll edit this message later with meritoric, to not spam on the forum)

proebler

Post by proebler »

@ConcreteGarlic
I can duplicate some pop-ups by selecting xdeta as the default file manager. Trying to unmount drives from desktop with the green square on the (mounted) drive icon then causes the pop-ups. Check your settings in Setup > Default Applications Chooser.
I hope this helps.
Edit: Re-reading your post I see, that it probably does not help, sorry. (you know how to produce these pop-ups.) I don't have Double Commander installed here.
If you do not want to use Rox-filer, then Friendly Fossa Puppy has xfe built in as an alternative file manager. That gives you a double pane manager. However, there is similar behavior to what you describe, when unmounting drives :( .
In F69-CE, which also has xfe built in, the unmountting behavior becomes normal, once a restart of X is done :thumbup: . So that may solve it all? The same may be the case in Friendly Fossa, i have not tried.

filemanager-xdelta.jpg
filemanager-xdelta.jpg (174.23 KiB) Viewed 680 times
mikeslr

Re: Double Commander reopens when it shouldn't

Post by mikeslr »

Xfe (note: there's no 'c') is AFAIK available via every Puppy's Package Manager. You'll want the themes also available. Wizard not only included it in Friendly-fossa but provided some valuable information here, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 989#p79989 and a file-mounting tool here, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 884#p64884 that may solve the issue proebler mentioned.

But my best guess still is that somewhere along the line you've install an application containing glib libraries that are in conflict.

tosim

Re: Double Commander reopens when it shouldn't

Post by tosim »

Look at(and adjust, the setting for your DC. See attachment.

dc.jpg
dc.jpg (34.26 KiB) Viewed 584 times

Return to “Bionic”