Can't run Openshot in Bionic32

Moderator: Forum moderators

Zedward

Can't run Openshot in Bionic32

Post by Zedward »

I downloaded here Openshot 1.4.2 batleshot sfs to run it on Bionic32, installed but it doesn't run. I installed python-mlt from PP.
I type openshot in console and get error about Python.
typing
$ python
>> import mlt
>> mlt.Factory().init()
gives me:

mlt_repository_init: failed to dlopen /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/mlt/libmltkino.so
(libquicktime.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
mlt_repository_init: failed to dlopen /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/mlt/libmltqimage.so
(libQtSvg.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
<mlt.Repository; proxy of <Swig Object of type 'Mlt::Repository *' at 0xb6f9aa10> >

By the way, in PPM I always get message about missing dependencies python:any python:any python:any qtbase-abi-5-9-5

What should I do?

mikeslr

Re: Can't run Openshot in Bionic32

Post by mikeslr »

Sorry, zedword, I'm working on a different problem right now. I'm not surprised that Battleshooter's openshot didn't work. And every time I've tried to work with python it's bit me. I checked my 'Vault' and I don't have a copy of openshot for bionicpup32. Maybe T'other Mike has one.

In the meantime, you might try Olive. https://olivevideoeditor.org/download.php There's a 32-bit AppImage if you scroll down. I have one and It just opened in Bionicpup64 with 32-compatibility-SFS loaded. Hope they haven't changed it.
Olive has had good reports. But I haven't used it.

And if I recall correctly, KDEnlive ran better under Bionicpup64. That might hold true for Bionicpup32.

Zedward

Post by Zedward »

KDEnlive doesn't work too.
The funny thing is that Openshot was working on this system a few days ago. But then i installed some libraries and now Openshot doesn't start :(

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@Zedward :-

There's no reason why battleshooter's Openshot 1.4.2 shouldn't run under Bionic 32. I haven't run Bionic 32 for a few years.....almost everything I now run is 64-bit, with the exception of a couple of favourite old Pups I shall keep going for as long as I possibly can, and most of the more up-to-date stuff now runs from a chrooted Xenialpup 7.5.

I'm pretty certain I had it running in Bionic, though. I remember I did need a few extra dependencies.....

I think the first thing you need is Qt4. Do this for me:-

Take a look in /usr/lib, and tell me if there's any libQt4 stuff showing? If so, you may just need to install the missing items via the PPM. Certainly, libquicktime should be available that way.

Qt4Svg is NOT one of the 'standard' Qt modules that tends to come by default.

-----------------------------------------------

IF there's no Qt4 stuff installed, I have an SFS of Qt 4.8.7 that seemed to work absolutely everywhere I tried it. This does contain Qt4Svg.

You can find it here:-

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjjHOh ... sp=sharing

Just place the SFS beside the other Puppy system files in /mnt/home (or /initrd/mnt/dev_save; I forget which Bionic32 uses). Left-click on the SFS, then follow the instructions to 'load' it.

Over to you...

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Right. Scratch the above.

I just installed UPupBB32, and tried to get Openshot 1.4.2 running. It grinds to a halt with a failure on python.pyglib - "Unidentified_symbol"; this cannot be resolved under Bionic, because the relevant module is too new for battleshooter's build.....which was put together several years ago.

My advice? It's simpler to get Openshot 2.4.1 up-and-running from the PPM.

----------------------------------------

From the PPM, you'll need to install:-

python3-pkg_resources
python3-sip
python3-requests

.....and finally

openshot_2.4.1 itself. (Don't go for the 'transitional' package.....this is a special package for Ubuntu's package manager, and will completely bugger things up in Puppy).

Before you try to run it, you'll also need to establish a sym-link in /usr/bin. Openshot looks for "python3", but there's only "python3.6". "python3.6" needs to have a sym-link "python3" pointing to it, 'cos otherwise Openshot won't find it.

------------------------------------------------

I think that's everything, though I have the nagging feeling I've missed something out. When you've done all the above, open a terminal, type in

Code: Select all

openshot-qt

.....and hit 'Enter'. You'll soon see if I forgot anything.

Let us know how you get on, please. Once Openshot opens, you'll see a button top-right, "Update Available". DO NOT TOUCH THIS! The current versions are all 64-bit, and will NOT run in UpupBB32.

Mike. ;)

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

I have'nt followed MikeWalsh's instruction yet. Will later in the day. But would add two caveats: (1) Applications employing python can not be run as SFSes; they have to be installed because the files in an SFS have lower priority in the 'merge-in-RAM-file-system' than other components. Those 'others' will be used instead of the python modules the application demands. (2) It can probably not be used with other applications employing python which were built-in or installed into your SaveFile/Folder: during use the modules of that other application may be called resulting in an application not properly functioning if at all.

If you can tolerate the longer learning-curve it has, there are versions of cinelerra which will run under AFAIK every Puppy, but specifically (tested) Bionic32. Cinelerra does not use python. And if it isn't necessary to have all the 'bells & whistles' of openshot, simpler applications such as avidemux and Lossletcut can be used.

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Well, I'm having one of those days when things I expect to work don't. But if it isn't just me, like I wrote there are 32-bit Cinelerras which run fine under bionicpup32. One of them is the portable package MikeWalsh provides from the link here, viewtopic.php?t=4274

The only thing missing from it a manual. Ally has one at https://archive.org/details/cinelerraggmanual. Not sure it specifically for Mike's offerings. But could come in handy.

Zedward

Post by Zedward »

mikewalsh wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:04 am

Let us know how you get on, please.

Dear wizard, your spells work :) Now my students can edit the video!

Last edited by Zedward on Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Excellent. Glad to hear you're all sorted!

Mike. ;)

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@mikeslr :-

I feel a project coming on, Mike. It might work, it might not.....but I'm going to see if I can't turn the 32-bit Openshot 2.4.1 into an AppImage.

Jonno Thomas & crew have done it with the 64-bit versions of the 2-series Openshots, Python3 and all. I see no reason why it shouldn't work with the 32-bit build.

Might take me a while, though!

T'other Mike. ;)

Return to “Bionic”